Survivalist Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am looking for a 20 Gauge shotgun for my girlfriend. Does anyone have recommendations for a tactical 20 gauge shotgun 18.5 - 20"? I am a big Mossberg 930 SPX fan, but unfortunately it does not appear like they make such a creature.

·
Registered
961 Posts
Remington 870
Lots of accessories available all over the net and in stores, including short barrels.
I have a 20" barrel on mine.

·
Unrepentant Sinner
371 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Mossberg International now markets their "SA-20" Bantam (24" barrel, short LOP stock). They kinda look a lot like the basic 930, they're getting good intial reviews (especially in the reliability department) and you can find them on GunBroker, at a pretty reasonable price.
czechtx

·
Registered
114 Posts
NEF Pardner Pump Compact 20 Ga. . It is in a size that will probably fit your girlfriends frame, the quality is very high, 21" barrell and they won't break the bank. It's straight up, vent rib, no rails for lights lasers, ray blaster and all that stuff, nice matte bluing and tight as a tick with no rattle. They may have a protector in 20 but I'm not sure and the Protector is plastic stock and parkerize finish.

·
Registered
279 Posts
Try 12 gauge low recoil before buying 20 gauge. An 8 year old girl can handle 12 gauge low recoil ammo.

In survival times, 20 gauge ammo is likely to get scarce fast and you will be limited to supplies in storage. 12 gauge is more universal.

·
Registered
155 Posts
the best 20 guage hands down, is a 12 guage.
I wouldn't want to be on the receiving end of either, honestly. There are very few applications of the 12 gauge that I wouldn't be confident in the 20 also being able to do. One of them is defense against big predators. Other than that, I'd say they're both pretty effective.

·
Looks like rain to me.
41,428 Posts
Has she tried low base 12 ga. shells yet? She might be surprised on the recooil. Also a 12 ga. semiauto ight fit the bill too.

·
"Christian-American"
92 Posts
I wouldn't want to be on the receiving end of either, honestly. There are very few applications of the 12 gauge that I wouldn't be confident in the 20 also being able to do. One of them is defense against big predators. Other than that, I'd say they're both pretty effective.
YOU HIT THE NAIL ON THE HEAD. I have always been a 20 ga fan. I've owned pump 12's but always go back to the 20's. These are not my defense guns. I use these to bring food to the table. I have a lever gun in pistol caliber for defense. However, a Mossberg 500 youth in 20 ga would make a dandy home defense gun! Could do a lot worse... :)

·
Old Soldier
5,068 Posts
Remington 870 Magnum Express Youth Model 20 ga. When my wife wanted a shotgun she tried out several different makes for fit and function, and that is what we ended up buying. She was very happy with it.
Very important to let her make the choice, forcing her to get something she doesn't want will be counter productive in the long run.
And don't let anyone tell you the 20 ga won't perform.

·
Registered
114 Posts
I hate to be a poop, but anything Express of late is problematic. The NEF Pardner Pump is on sale now for $159.00 at Cabela's . I hate to see folks get a gun and it's nothing but a bag of worms. This wasn't true when they first came out, but as of late,they are hit and miss. I have had good experience with the Pardners and they are high quality through out. I'm sure there are some who'll say that the Express shotguns are the benchmark in low cost shotguns, but that is not the case anymore. NEF makes a Protector series and may make one in 20 ga. The Pardner Compact is real nice in walnut and matte blue.

·
Registered
279 Posts
NEF Pardner Pump Compact 20 Ga. . It is in a size that will probably fit your girlfriends frame, the quality is very high, 21" barrell and they won't break the bank. It's straight up, vent rib, no rails for lights lasers, ray blaster and all that stuff, nice matte bluing and tight as a tick with no rattle. They may have a protector in 20 but I'm not sure and the Protector is plastic stock and parkerize finish.
How long is the stroke on the compact? And what is the price? My boxing sparring partner is a woman (she has earned her stripes. She can roll and strike with the boys.) She wants a shotgun and I've given up trying to convince her to get a 12 gauge.

This may be the perfect choice for her.

·
Registered
4,886 Posts
I have a 870 in 20 gauge w/ 26" barrel, a 1187 youth in 20 gauge with 21" barrel, and a 1187 in 12 gauge with a 28" barrel.

The 1187 in 12 gauge has the least recoil. The 870 in 20 has noticeably more, The 1187 youth is slightly better than the 870 in 20.

If this is for hunting, I suggest the 20 gauge. A heavy gun held all day does not make for good shooting form. If this is for some range fun and a beside companion, then use a 12 gauge and purchase lower recoil rounds. For casual practice, purchse 7/8oz target loads. May not be easy to find at the store, but is very common online. There is little sense practicing with expensive buckshot. However, patterning the buckshot is important. If needed, keep the firearm loaded with remington managed recoil rounds. The most effective ammuniton is the most accurate. A lower recoil round will have a much more effective repeate shot, than those "magnum" rounds.

The bedside companion is the 1187 in 20 gauge at home. The shorter barrel and stock make is easy to manuver and mount in a hurry. IF you have little ones at home, be careful with firearms at the house. The 1187 in 20 is not easily accessible by the little ones. However, there is pepper spray in almost every room in the house. I like this one with the hand strap. Best to use non-lethal as far as your freedom from being locked up in jail goes.

http://www.cabelas.com/product/UDAP...AllProducts&Ntt=peppey+spray&Ntt=peppey+spray

http://www.midwayusa.com/viewproduct/?productnumber=482134

This is a good one to get. Has 1 less pellet for reduced recoil.

http://www.remington.com/products/a...buckshot/express-managed-recoil-buckshot.aspx

Make sure you have an improved cylinder choke, best for close ranges. Almost all new shotguns come with modified chokes. Not a bad choke for hunting. For trap shooting, the full choke is best.

when selecting practice ammunition, also take a look at velocity too. Keep in mind a proper fitting shotgun will produce the least recoil. a 5 foot 2 tall lady will not do well with a regular stock with an recoil padd making the length of pull even longer. Get a 12 gauge and put a youth stock. The factory remington recoil pads are really hard to beat. There is no sense getting anything else. Also, stock placemnt is very important on women. They have tender spots. Make sure she learns to mount the firearm properly. It will really bite her in the wrong spot.

·
Registered
114 Posts
The pump stroke is about what the 870 is. I would go to the gun shop and let your "sparring partner" shoulder it and work the action. Then she can decide if it fits her.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts