Survivalist Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Liberty or Death
986 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Im going hunting this weekend so I need an answer quick. So which gun should I choose my 12 ga. pump or my single shot 20 ga.? Where Im hunting I have to walk up a huge hill (its almost a small moutain). The 20 ga. is lighter but with the 12 gauge Im more likly to get off a second shot. And to add one more thing Im much more expireced with the 20 gauge. So please help, any help is greatly appricated.

·
dum dum
1,249 Posts
hmm...odd...I own a 20 gauge and would have thought people would recommend the 12...
stupid question, but what are you hunting?

·
Happiness is 2 at low 8
1,403 Posts
Im going hunting this weekend so I need an answer quick. So which gun should I choose my 12 ga. pump or my single shot 20 ga.? Where Im hunting I have to walk up a huge hill (its almost a small moutain). The 20 ga. is lighter but with the 12 gauge Im more likly to get off a second shot. And to add one more thing Im much more expireced with the 20 gauge. So please help, any help is greatly appricated.
Considering you seem to favor the 20ga, take it... If it were me I'd take the 12ga, but that's me, that's my tool... Take the gun you have the most confidence using.

Regarding the followup shot, not really a big deal as most of the singleshot shooters I know do just as well or better because they know it's the only chance they're going to get so they take better aim or stalk in a bit closer... Similarly I know few shooters who score with the 2nd shot. If they missed the first shot, they'll also miss the second and simply waste 2 rounds instead of only one.

Allan

·
dum dum
1,249 Posts
Wow, sounds like my little 20 gauge isn't useless after all!...ooooh....wait...I don't believe I can shoot slugs with it. Grrrr...

·
A friend of the Site
1,966 Posts
IF all you are hunting is whitetail would take either. The single shot will hopefully make you take an extra second or two to aim because you know you probably not get the second shot.

Whitetail can be taken reliable with a 20 gauge. I would opt for the 12 gauge if you were going to try to hunt multiple (different types of) animals. My dad used to use his pump, so that he could load it with #2 for turkey (in the chamber) and back it it up with 00 buck for deer. His thought was he would cycle the action for deer or have a quick shot for turkey.

Usually we would jump rabbits and quail when he had his gun loaded that way.

Be safe, have fun

Reactions: wengo1776

·
dum dum
1,249 Posts
Hmmm....good question! I just realized I must have been going by what I was told by someone when I was a kid and never thought twice about it! The gun is a lightweight 20 gauge (I'll call it a "youth model") with an improved choke...I assume...the barrel is stamped "improved cylinder". I guess after bad information I assumed my barrel would blow up LMAO...I'd love a quick cliff-note version of what I can shoot outa this gun...I'd rather blast a BG with some mass rather than confetti them with birdshot!

·
20 gauge for anything
18 Posts
I would take the 20 gauge because of it's less weight besides I like 20 gauges better not really for any reason but I bagged my first deer with a 20 gauge and I tried to use a 12 gauge but it never worked out. Also I would try to stick with the rifles but thats just my opinion. Nothing wrong with shooting a deer with a shotgun! Good luck.

·
Registered
631 Posts
I like hunting with a single shot over a pump for one reason. I can swap out to any load at anytime. Buckshot for up close but slug for beyond the reach of the buckshot. I use an elastic butt cuff with five rounds of choice. I also have popped a few squirrels when the deer hunting got slow.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts