Survivalist Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
166 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
im wondering if i could use a 20 ga for squirrel hunting.im gonna get a .243 for deer hunting:eek: and i already have a pellet/air rifle:thumb: that i could use too. which should i use:confused:

·
Behind Enemy Lines
776 Posts
Well if you like doing both, a 20 gauge should work for both squirrel and deer. I made a thread in the wee hours this morning and I was told it would be good enough for both. Of course, I currently hunt squirrels with an air rifle and I love it. But if you got the money for a shotgun or a .243, then go for it. Let the force be with you..hehe.

·
Registered
5,613 Posts
Yes a 20 gauge will work just fine for squirrels if you got one. The only down side is picking shot out of the carcus after skinning it. If you just must use a shotgun then I think the 410 or 28 gauge is better suited.

If you dont I would suggest a good 22 rim fire, especially a bolt gun that can use shorts or CB caps instead as well as Long Rifles. While they are more expensive in this day and age of urban sprawl they will travel a much shorter distance and still dispatch bushey tails just fine. Im not sure but they are also cheaper fare than shotgun rounds and I gaurentere the LR's are about 3 cents a shot.

·
Deo VIndice
6,108 Posts
20gauge will do fine for both!

find a local pawn shop, or keep an eye out at the jockey lot, for a used 410. They can be had cheap and theres no paperwork.

But if you can only do one gun, go for the 20.

·
One decade later...
221 Posts
I would say the 20 guage, but if you could possibly I would consider a 12

gauge. They are good for squirrels with #6 shot, and could take a deer with

slugs. I personally use #8 shot in my gun because of all the thickett down

here in our woods, but that is a personal thing.

·
Registered
5 Posts
The 20 gauge is perfect when paired with #4 shot and a full choke. Not a problem aim for the tip of their nose. The number of shot that hit should be at a minimum.

·
Registered
6 Posts
I always prefered a 20ga. Stevens or Iver Johnson with a fullchoke for squirrel hunting they have a good range and headshots are easy most people around here uses a 12ga. which spits out to much shot and has 10-15 yrd less range then the 20ga.

·
Registered
264 Posts
I use a 20 for all my hunting i wven went elk hunting and took it at about 40 yards witha slug all i have is a single shot best one i have

·
Registered
631 Posts
If you are hunting gray squirrels #7 or 8's are fine if you are after fox squirrels I always step up to high brass #6 they are tougher to kill.

·
Registered
1,241 Posts
You can get 10/22 semi auto at about 250 with a scope. Really fun to shoot squirrels with or the savage 17hmr. Save the shotgun for birds.

·
Registered
5 Posts
If you're going to buy a shotgun, I would suggest a .12 gauge. It can be used from home defense to hunting just about any animal. The range of the .12 gauge is alot farther than a .410 shotgun too. I prefer the .22 for squirrel hunting though.

·
Registered
9,117 Posts
If you're going to buy a shotgun, I would suggest a .12 gauge. It can be used from home defense to hunting just about any animal. The range of the .12 gauge is alot farther than a .410 shotgun too. I prefer the .22 for squirrel hunting though.
It's nice that you resurrected an six (6) year old thread but why?

BTW, for HD there is nothing wrong with a 20 especially if you have small stature people living there as well--like woman or children.

Actually the ranges between them isn't that far apart -- it's the amount of shot in the pattern that makes the difference.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts