Survivalist Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Average Joe
277 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well I have been someone cheap 20 cents seeds from Wal-Mart for my backyard garden. These seeds are American Seed made by Plantation Products. Does anyone have any experience with these ?

BTW: They are Non-GMO also, :D:

Attachments

·
Prov 3:5,6
716 Posts
I've used them, too and they were good. Just a small amount in each packet, but for my little garden, more than I needed. Found 'spinach mustard' amongst them, which did great for hot weather greens in Oklahoma. As stated above, mostly open pollinated old-time varieties so you can save the seed.

·
Registered
8,707 Posts
actually now that you mention it, I have some from like 5 years ago I need to dig out and plant. My wife bought a whole display of them on a clearance rack one year

·
2,733 Posts
I've used them for years with good results.

Dollar Tree carries them also, usually marked 4/$1, and I believe they have a bit more seed in them (net weight 375 mg) than those at Walmart.

I believe Dollar General may carry them as well, but I only caught a quick glimpse of the dispay and didn't have the time to take a closer look.

·
Registered
8,707 Posts
I've used them for years with good results.

Dollar Tree carries them also, usually marked 4/$1, and I believe they have a bit more seed in them (net weight 375 mg) than those at Walmart.

I believe Dollar General may carry them as well, but I only caught a quick glimpse of the dispay and didn't have the time to take a closer look.
the ones I have came from dollar general :thumb:

·
Registered
2,286 Posts
the ones I have came from dollar general :thumb:
Oh hey, I think I will add DG to my itinerary tomorrow...have to take dd shopping for a school trip later in the week. She likes to eat too, so I'm sure she won't mind. I saw seeds at my store the other day, but didn't look closely.

·
Getting There
170 Posts
The hubby and I used them almost exclusively last year and everything we planted sprouted well. We stocked up when we saw them at Dollar Tree this year. Won't be able to plant until we move but these will be almost all that are garden is made of. Hope they do well for you too.

·
Registered
5,679 Posts
I've used some of them every year. They also have a 50 cent pack with more varieties. I've had great success with the Oregon Spring and Rio Grande Tomatoes.

For the average person's garden, one of those 20 or 50 cent packs will give you all you need for that year (except for beans and corn, you don't get much in there, but what do you expect for 20 cents?).

And yes, they are all non-GMO. And on a side note, because this almost always seems to be stated on threads about Walmart's seeds... You will not find GMO seeds at Walmart, and probably not any other Big Box store (I know of none). Why not? Well, not because these Big Box stores are anti-GMO, but because GMO seeds are pricey. You're not going to get them in a 20 cent pack of seeds! Now, if Walmart found a way to make GMO seeds cheaper than non-GMO seeds, then you can bet you they would sell them. But as of yet, they aren't, and they don't. Also, to my knowledge, the only commercially available GMO seeds are for corn and soybeans.

·
Banned
17,612 Posts
I'll add another vote for them being good seed. Sometimes I don't want a zillion carrot or parsley or serrano pepper seeds, so I get the .20 and .50 cent size packs. They always grow just fine.

·
Registered
843 Posts
I use that brand with good results. The parsley, dill and basil reseed each year with no problems. I have a clump of chives in a flower pot that were planted 5-6 years ago. I usually pick up a few packs each year for my garden.

·
camps in trees
2,068 Posts
I use them to test new stuff to see if we like it and if its gonna grow in my front yard garden before I plant it in the big garden. Tip i picked up from dad who has been doing it as long as I can remember. However long the local dollar general has been carrying the brand hes been doing it just fine. The stuff that says grows well in our area has always done well but we have been known to push those limits.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts