·
Registered
1,210 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Who didn't see this coming?

http://ap.google.com/article/ALeqM5hfIiK6PxjUtrvGslu89oIPM-imOAD9340CF00

2 Russian strategic bombers land in Venezuela
6 hours ago

MOSCOW (AP) — The Interfax news agency is quoting Russia's Defense Ministry as saying that two Russian strategic bombers have landed in Venezuela as part of military maneuvers.

Interfax quoted the ministry as saying in a statement that the two Tu-160 strategic bombers landed in Venezuela on Wednesday. The ministry said the planes will conduct training flights over neutral waters over the next few days before heading back to Russia.

The maneuvers appear to be retaliatory after the U.S. sent warships to deliver aid to Georgia following its war with Russia last month.

·
Registered
2,362 Posts
This is nothing more than a game of chess.We move on piece they move one .

·
Information is Ammunition
22,122 Posts
Gentlemen...

say hello to my little friends...

·
Registered
7,224 Posts
Yeah, if this is their idea of intimidation I'm not gonna lose sleep.
They used to overfly our bases on dry land in Alaska during the first cold war.
This is somehow scary?

·
Registered
7,224 Posts
That was more directed at Russia than you.(After all....Putin hangs on my every word)
I just don't find these petty symbolic actions on their or our part intimidating is all.
You'd think the previous 50 years of jousting would have taught somebody something.

·
Registered
1,753 Posts
You'd think the previous 50 years of jousting would have taught somebody something.
It did, its a lucrative business. Scare the masses then up military expenditures and R&D with politicaly connected corporations.

I reserected this because I read on Fox News that US and Canadian Air Forces have had to scramble jets to run off Russian Bombers.

·
Registered
135 Posts
thats a mean looking jet

I think the Russians have the same militant style as America, using technology and international "chess playing"

I view Russia as an equivalent to the US military style in a lot of ways, but not at all in others.

·
Premium Member
6,848 Posts
Like I said in this thread http://www.survivalistboards.com/showthread.php?t=48027 It's tit-for-tat.

The Americans have plans for a missile defense shield that will encompass European powers bordering Russia. The Russians see this as a threat to established norms and the beginning of a new arms race. Finding new military bases in South America is the Russians way of sending a two fingered salute to the Americans.

Besides, how many bases does the US have in Eastern Europe and in ex-soviet countries?

Two Russian bombers in Venezuela?

Pfft! :rolleyes:

·
Registered
337 Posts
Like I said in this thread http://www.survivalistboards.com/showthread.php?t=48027 It's tit-for-tat.

The Americans have plans for a missile defense shield that will encompass European powers bordering Russia. The Russians see this as a threat to established norms and the beginning of a new arms race. Finding new military bases in South America is the Russians way of sending a two fingered salute to the Americans.

Besides, how many bases does the US have in Eastern Europe and in ex-soviet countries?

Two Russian bombers in Venezuela?

Pfft! :rolleyes:
You got us there. The British dont have any military bases in other countries. :rolleyes:

·
Minarchist (Jeffersonian)
3,306 Posts
heard today that Venezuela or more directly Hugo might give russia an island to put a strategic bomber base on, and who say's the cold war is over?

·
Si vis pacem, para bellum
253 Posts
We do this all the time, does the media protray it like this?
Media is trying to make Putin look like the Tzar, they're trying to imply that Russia is following in the foot steps of the Soviet Union.

The U.S. military probably completes 10x the ammount of manuvers than the Russians, but when Russia does a manuver the media protrays it as if we are on the brink of war.

Media causes war.

The Russian military has every right to exercise as long as it isn't harmfull or dangerous.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts