Survivalist Forum banner
1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
What would Mal do
4,913 Posts
dang it! that's about the time I'll be playing hooky from work and pulling out for our vacation!! guess I'll have to add some extra supplies in the boat...always hoped when the world stopped that I'd be here at the house with tons of preps..but I always figured I'd likely wind up doing a water world...guess that's my forecast for next week...wonder if the EFI on my boat engine can handle the emp? guess I best pack and extra paddle..maybe some of my sister-in-law's underwear in case I need to make a boat sail...:rolleyes:

·
A Hoosier not a Hillbilly
3,016 Posts
dang it! that's about the time I'll be playing hooky from work and pulling out for our vacation!! guess I'll have to add some extra supplies in the boat...always hoped when the world stopped that I'd be here at the house with tons of preps..but I always figured I'd likely wind up doing a water world...guess that's my forecast for next week...wonder if the EFI on my boat engine can handle the emp? guess I best pack and extra paddle..maybe some of my sister-in-law's underwear in case I need to make a boat sail...:rolleyes:
Take some tin foil and build up alternate layers of insulation and foil around the electrical components. Just maybe it will still run.

·
Time to hit reset
25,656 Posts
GO! oldwarrior, with the speed of the internets!
I can see it now....the cranky old man at the local flea market that sells the crappy old sunglasses will be a local Warren Buffet.:D:

I'll just go buy out all the aluminum foil at wally world :thumb:

·
Registered
639 Posts
Worst case scenario : The power goes out in large sections of the grid, closest to northern and southernmost reaches of the planet.
Solution : party like it's 1899!
no, worst case scenario is the entire globe looses power simultaneously. All satellites are lost to increased atmospheric drag and loss of control and vehicle cpu's get fried.

The scenario you mentioned would happen on average every 20-30 years. So that's a relatively common occurrence.

·
Registered
534 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
A news confrence is not paranoia!!!

p.a.r.a.n.o.i.a
Increasing solar activity and the threat that coronal mass ejections (CME) pose to Earth has prompted NASA to convene a news briefing at its Headquarter building in Washington on Thursday afternoon.

Thursday’s briefing has been arranged, space agency officials say, in light of new information coming from NASA’s Solar Terrestrial Relations Observatory (STEREO), spacecraft and other NASA probes. The briefing will feature new details about the structure of solar storms and the impact they have on Earth.

The briefing panellists are Madhulika Guhathakurta, STEREO program scientist; Craig DeForest, staff scientist, Southwest Research Institute, David Webb, research physicist, Institute for Scientific Research, Boston College; and Alysha Reinard, research scientist, National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration (NOAA) and the University of Colorado.

The briefing will air live on NASA Television and the agency’s website at 2:00 PM EDT (7:00 PM GMT).
A massive solar flare, the largest recorded in four years, occurred last Tuesday prompting fears the blast could result in some disruption to Global Positioning Satellites (GPS) or communication signals around the world.

Solar flares happen when the powerful magnetic fields in and around the sun reconnect. They’re usually associated with active regions, often seen as sun spots, where the magnetic fields are strongest. The most powerful recent flare on record was in 2003, during the last solar maximum. It was so powerful that it overloaded the sensors measuring it. The current solar cycle will peak in 2013. Look up the 1859 Carington Event.

A powerful X-class flare can create long lasting radiation storms, which can harm satellites and even give airline passengers, flying near the poles, small radiation doses. X flares also have the potential to create global transmission problems and world-wide blackouts.

In 1989, a geomagnetic storm energized ground induced currents which disrupted electric power distribution throughout most of Quebec province in Canada and produced aurora borealis displays as far south as Texas in the USA.

[SIZE="5"]F. A. C. T. S[/SIZE]

Laus Deo
overbore

·
Registered
5,987 Posts
Well I guess we won't have to worry about the economy going in the toilet or arguing over who should be the next President

Whatever happens - good luck and Godspeed to you all.

·
Information is Ammunition
22,122 Posts

good watch. should answer just about any questions.

I've heard a knucklehead or two say theres no point preparing for it. I disagree. You can't harden your electronics and expect to have your own electricity for long, but you CAN learn how to get by. It will take a lot of work and working with your neighbors. Just expect a metric asston of refugees and starving people in the cities. I'd be doomed.

But maybe you people that have your own property can learn how to get back to the 1860s. Look at the Afghanis. The only thing keeping them out of the stone age is the soviet milsurp.

Reactions: twowong4words

·
Banned
125 Posts
NASA NEWS CONFERENCE ; MAY BE A MAJOR FLARE DEVELOPMENT.

PAY ATTENTION!!! OUR NAME MAY BE ON THIS ONE.:eek::eek::eek:

Laus Deo
overbore
Or it may be an announcement regarding what will become of the space program?
An announcement about what the next space vehicle will be?
An announcement saying they are getting rid of the NASA program?
An announcement about the new NASA leader?
New jobs being created?
New...... etc., etc., etc.????
I can be ANYTHING. No one said it's going to be about any major flare development, so stop fear mongering. You are just trying to stir things up.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts