Survivalist Forum banner
1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
318 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i'm not a big soda drinker, nor is anyone else in my house. we don't buy many bottled beverages at all, we're lucky to get one 2 liter bottle of pink lemonade per year. i've been reading around and noticing lots of you use 2 liter soda bottles for storing certain foods and water in, sounds like a pretty good idea to me, might as well try it. only problem, i have no 2 liter bottles.

i've been looking around on bulk plastic bottle sites for 2 liter bottles, but have been unable to find any. does anyone know of any good sites out there that offer 2 liter bottles in new, un-used condition preferably?

i'm not looking to stake out the local grocery store bottle return machine for hours on end, or beg people for their used bottles because i don't know what they've used them for, or who's diseased mouths they've come into contact with. i'm a bit of a germophobe...

thanks!

·
In memory of Rokitdog
14,951 Posts
i'm not a big soda drinker, nor is anyone else in my house. we don't buy many bottled beverages at all, we're lucky to get one 2 liter bottle of pink lemonade per year. i've been reading around and noticing lots of you use 2 liter soda bottles for storing certain foods and water in, sounds like a pretty good idea to me, might as well try it. only problem, i have no 2 liter bottles.

i've been looking around on bulk plastic bottle sites for 2 liter bottles, but have been unable to find any. does anyone know of any good sites out there that offer 2 liter bottles in new, un-used condition preferably?

i'm not looking to stake out the local grocery store bottle return machine for hours on end, or beg people for their used bottles because i don't know what they've used them for, or who's diseased mouths they've come into contact with. i'm a bit of a germophobe...

thanks!
Before I store anything in plastic bottles I sterilize them with iodine before using. That should reduce to chance of bacteria from forming before adding my storage goods!

·
Registered
773 Posts
Know anyone who does drink sodas (neighbors, coworkers)? Ask them for their empty bottles. Come up with a simple reason (mini garden, child/niece/nephew/cousin's science project, ant farms, terrariums, trotline floats, ect), and don't ask for a bunch cause the end of the world is near. A few here and there and it tends to stay off everyone's radar.

·
Wannabe Mountain Hermit
14,688 Posts
My son is a pepsiaholic, he goes through a dozen or more every 2 weeks.

Right now, since i've been getting him to save then i've got over 150 2 liter bottles of water that are being stacked in a corner but i'm thinking about moving them to a closet.

I've thought about storing some rice in some to see how that works since i've seen some posts on here about it.

·
I LOVE THIS PLACE
402 Posts
I use 2 liter bottles for rice and water. The one gallon tea or juice jugs with the bigger opening works well with beans. 16 or 20 oz. water bottles work great for rice and instant potatoes while camping or hiking.

·
Premium Member
68,758 Posts
If you're going to buy the 2 liter bottles just for storage, you might as well do it right and buy mylar bags instead. The folks using the bottles are just finding a use for them rather than throwing them out. But the plastic the bottles are made from are not as gas impermeable as mylar. So for the same price, you could use mylar instead.

I use 3 liter bottles for short term storage of foods. 2-3 years max. They fit nicely in my cupboard, and the 3 liter bottles have larger openings so they're easier to fill. They also don't glug when you pour the soda.

·
Registered
5,810 Posts
One or two a week -- wash them out - peal the label off -- fill with water - into the plastic milk crate - and stored :thumb:

For me --- now -- it's the simple cheapest way :rolleyes:
Gotta agree with you there. I do normally buy the 3 liter bottles for use in storing stuff though due to the larger capacity and the large mouth opening. While not as permenant a solution as Mylar, it works well enough for my needs and I can usually burn through Rice, Beans and sprouting Seeds fast enough to not worry about it going bad on me.

·
Banned
3,048 Posts
If you are afraid of other peoples germs you probably won't be happy with my suggestion. I put an ad in the local free paper under recycleing it was a free ad. I got connected with a couple that used a lot of seltzer water and tonic water. The bottles were very clean but I cleaned them with bleach water before I used them. I use them mostly for water but I have a few with rice and other grains and lentils.

·
Registered
5 Posts
I don"t drink much pop either but I do use coupons for everything so I get most of mine free or no more than 25 cents a piece. I send them home with the grown kids (or put them in their Christmas and birthday baskets) and then they just bring them back when they are empty. I do get alot of juice bottles too that I use to store water in, mostly free with the coupons!

·
Registered
318 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
thanks for the replies! as i was reading these, it occurred to me...i have a buddy who lives at college and has access to a bunch of hardcore soda drinkers. gonna see what she can scrounge up from their dorms.

i agree with the 55 gallon barrels, i just don't have the storage space for any just yet. i'm also looking for something that is easily portable by anyone in the family. i have eight 7 gallon aquatainers which would be impossible to move by two of the four people living with me.

i also like having 2 liter bottles on hand for the solar disinfection method for purifying water; a slow process but it's better than nothing. i'm just keeping that as another backup for my many backups. again, thanks all :thumb:

·
Banned
48 Posts

thanks!
Are you joking?

Go to your local supermarket and buy 2 litre bottles of water for 20c each

·
Born to prep
3,805 Posts
If I was you I would go with 3 liter bottles they have a wider mouth and are easier to fill and empty. Dollar Tree sells pop in 3 liter bottles for $1.00 you could buy a bunch and donate them to a church and take the cost of the pop off your taxes. Tell them that you want the bottles back when empty.

1 - 20 of 34 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.