Survivalist Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
254 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey everyone,

I have a question for y'all as I would like some help thinking this threw. I currently have a Honda EU2000i and when I bought it I knew that I would eventually want to get a second unit so I could run them in parallel and double my output. I'm getting ready to make this second purchase happen and have some questions.

First the options:

A. Honda EU2000i with parallel cable
B. Honda EU2000i with parallel kit
C. Honda EU2000i Companion (built in 30amp receptacle) and parallel cable

Link to Honda's site to better explain.

http://www.hondapowerequipment.com/products/generators/content.aspx?asset=gg_parallelcapability

Option A would give me two identical units that would allow me to double my output and have a total of 4 20 amp receptacles. This would keep me using extension cords everywhere which I want to get away from but may be more beneficial for uses other than powering the house. This is also the lowest cost option.

Option B would probably be the most versatile in that I would still have the 4 20amp receptacles but the kit (for 200.00 some dollars) would add a 30 amp receptacle as well as allow me to run the two units in parallel. This setup would pretty much equal the cost of option C.

Option C would be a cleaned up version of B (since the receptacle is built in) but with one 30amp receptacle and one 20 amp receptacle. I like this idea.

Not sure if that makes much sense but here is where I need help.

My initial thought with a generator was to keep my refrigerators running, I can do that with the one unit by letting one fridge run for 4 hours, then switching them and letting the other run for 4 hours while the other fridge was unplugged. That being said, it would be nice to keep them both plugged in.

As my thoughts have evolved about this whole subject I got to thinking that it would be nice to run the furnace. It's a forced air gas furnace. So I thought I just need to wire a plug to that so I could plug a cord into it. That got me to thinking, transfer switch.

I'm trying to get a hold of an electrician who has done work for me in the past to get a price on a transfer switch installed.

With that, I believe a 30amp receptacle is recommended and what would be nice is to have that outlet wired to the outside of my house so I can have the two generators nearby and just run a cord over to the transfer switch plug, make some manual switch flips and away I go, powering what I want in the house without any extension cords being run.

I think that would be pretty amazing even though we don't tend to lose power.

So, is my thinking right in how this would work? What are the advantages and disadvantages of options A, B and C above? Is there something I'm missing? Other options I should look into?

Also, is there a specific transfer switch Kit I should go with? cost?

I am committed to the Honda EU2000i series so I don't want talk other generators as options please.

Lets discuss.

Thanks for any help.

·
Registered
1,328 Posts
It sounds like you have it worked out in your mind and don't want other options...., but since nobody else is jumping in, I will.

I would opt for a bigger generator for your bigger generator needs. I love this series of Honda, and have a EU1000 and the big boy; EU6500. (Don't ask what I spent on that bad boy...) The 6500 throttles back to an idle and will run nearly an entire house at idle, I am not kidding, quietly too at around 54db at idle, only 60db at full throttle, incredibly quiet.

Rrunning the two together at an upper range to get a desired output? I would rather get a second unit overbuilt for the output I was looking for. You still have the smaller unit for smaller needs....

·
Registered
254 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the reply, I appreciate it.

I love the idea of the 6500 but at $3500 it's just not in the budget and would be hard to justify until I need it of course.

Like I said earlier we are not prone to our power going out so this is truly for shtf and other than running them monthly they won't get used too much. If I could find other uses to justify even the $1000 x 2 cost that would be great but I haven't yet. I guess what I'm saying is the 6500 would probably be great for someone in an area prone to outages where they would use it even once or twice a year and that just hasn't been the case here.

·
Registered
3,610 Posts
Depends on what you're prepping for and what you need/ want?

I've never considered running my whole house on a generator I simply don't need it! I'm not Dependant on electricity for light, heat or cooking. The only things I need/want a generator for is to recharge some electronics and keep the freezer and two refrigerators cold for awhile. Perhaps indulge myself with a real luxury like my espresso machine so the 2000I suit me just fine

No question the 6500 is nice yet is it overkill? It's weight is 260 lbs while the 2000I weight is 46 Lbs, if any of your plans call for a bug out or multi use like camping do you really want to schlep around a 260 pound generator?

Something else, these still make enough noise the can be heard from a distance depending on you SHTF you might be making yourself a target by juicing your whole house with lights, TV, stereo ... when everyone around you is in the dark! In a real SHTF your fuel will be limited these will only buy you some time so IMO...use as little as you need

·
Dog Walker
336 Posts
You could rotate, one hour fridge, one hour furnace fan, one hour fridge 2 & save your money.

This also uses the least fuel.

(you asked for options)

& I would skip option C - the companion model. In sceneriso A & B you have redundancy if one goes down, & a possible valuable barter item (backup 2,000 watt generator).

·
Registered
1,328 Posts

I've never considered running my whole house on a generator I simply don't need it! I'm not Dependant on electricity for light, heat or cooking. The only things I need/want a generator for is to recharge some electronics and keep the freezer and two refrigerators cold for awhile. Perhaps indulge myself with a real luxury like my espresso machine so the 2000I suit me just fine

No question the 6500 is nice yet is it overkill? It's weight is 260 lbs while the 2000I weight is 46 Lbs, if any of your plans call for a bug out or multi use like camping do you really want to schlep around a 260 pound generator?

Something else, these still make enough noise the can be heard from a distance depending on you SHTF you might be making yourself a target by juicing your whole house with lights, TV, stereo ... when everyone around you is in the dark! In a real SHTF your fuel will be limited these will only buy you some time so IMO...use as little as you need
Heck ya' the 6500 is overkill, but I bought it to build my house from, which we are trying to finish in the next few months, so I sort of justified that expensive thing....:D: On the other hand, it is incredibly quiet, quieter than many 1000watt generators, creates really clean electricity, and looks really cool.

I do not intend to take it with me to any BOL.... I have alot of things I own which will not leave the property... I am not taking my gun safe either...

UMC, alot of guys power their elk camps up here with the combo you are talking about, twin EU2000s and it works really well. I bet you will be happy with it...

·
Registered
4,497 Posts
Just as an FYI, if you want to keep your fridge cold you dont need it turned on all the time.

15 mins every 2 hours should be plenty if your not opening the door all the time and have some kind of cold sink in there (bottle of water or two)

·
Registered
254 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·

I'm completely with you on all accounts. I did some homework when I got my current eu2000 in that I wanted something that was versatile, sipped fuel and was quiet. I never planned on running my whole house, yet mainly just the refrigerators. My plan was to use wood in the fireplace to heat in the winter if the power went out but I'm thinking how much easier and safer it would be to use the furnace, hence wanting a transfer switch setup with a 30amp plug on a generator. Also safer in that I wouldn't need extension cords run everywhere and easier in that I would have to manually switch between each fridge and furnace. That would be a lot of extra and unnecessary work.

So from a security standpoint I want to be quiet and low-key, I won't have the Christmas lights running if the power were to be out. :)

·
Registered
254 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
You could rotate, one hour fridge, one hour furnace fan, one hour fridge 2 & save your money.

This also uses the least fuel.

(you asked for options)

& I would skip option C - the companion model. In sceneriso A & B you have redundancy if one goes down, & a possible valuable barter item (backup 2,000 watt generator).
Lemon,

As it stands you outline my current plan with the exception that I don't have the furnace wired for an extension cord. I wonder what the surge current would be for the blower motor on that and if one eu2000 could handle it.

I do appreciate your suggestions on the options. I like your point about keeping the units the same but at the same time think option c would be ok in that it has a 20 amp recptical as well as the 30 so there is still redundancy there.

Thanks for helping me think this through everyone. Please keep the thoughts and suggestions coming.

ETA: I just thought of this. I could always make a pig tail that goes from the 30amp plug to a 3 way standard plug so the 30amp would be just as useful for regular duty.

·
Dog Walker
336 Posts
Lemon,

As it stands you outline my current plan with the exception that I don't have the furnace wired for an extension cord. I wonder what the surge current would be for the blower motor on that and if one eu2000 could handle it.

*clip*

I don't know your furnace specs - so broad assumption (from untested unverified internet surfing)

Most blower fans have a lower surge current than 'fridges

** I own a honda 2000i - & plan to rotate my furnace fridge & freezer :).
I'ld prefer a whole house 6500W desiel set up, with an automatic transfer switch - but too much $$$.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.