Survivalist Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
what is yerr 2010 plan?
126 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello!

I just acquired my first vehicle, it's a 2000 Pontiac Montana V6 with just over 110k Kilometers on it, excellent condition, all repairs needed were done to get safety with premium parts, new rubber, just gotta go get the insurance today!

Now my question is pretty much summed up in the title...what do I need to be prepared in this vehicle?

I'm going to put the basic survival bag in the back of it, I'm more looking for ideas for survival outside the box.

I'm thinking of getting a solar battery charger that will maintain the battery charge put in it, eventually a GPS unit (although I'm more of a map guy).

I'll be getting a map book of all of Canada so that even if GPS goes down I can find my way around my country.

The obvious stuff like a LED flashlight will go in the glovebox and so forth.

So Thinking outside the box what do I need in my vehicle to be prepared?

·
what is yerr 2010 plan?
126 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Tools. For whatever repairs you can do on the side of the road.
Yeah that is a great idea, I also plan on learning to do stuff like my own oil changes and minor repairs so that I can know my vehicle better and gain a skillset. I think everyone should learn to change their own oil even if you never do it.

·
Registered
539 Posts
A ,GOOD shop mannual ,don;t know what you have but a nostock jack , a 4 way lug wrench and a piece of pipe that will fit over thew handle of the 4 way for more leverage are a lifesaver ,if, your tires have been put on with an air impact wrench.

·
Forum Administrator
16,776 Posts
That Pontiac Montana looks like a cross between a SUV and van, which is not a "bad"thing.

In the back of my wifes SUV, we keep some basic stuff, like extra oil and water. We also keep some extra folding chairs. You never know when you go to a party and need a few extra chairs.

In the glove box I keep a hand crank flashlight.

·
Registered
168 Posts
I always carry a tow strap or chain & jumper cables . . . if you get stuck, most people will help you if you have them, but most people do not carry them.

Stash a spare key somewhere hidden that you can get to from the outside . . .

I always carry extra water, spare belts & hoses . . . (the old ones I took off before they broke will get you through a mess)

A tool bag, first aid kit . . . I have a power inverter wired right into my car 1500 watts of 110v AC power at the flip of a switch . . .

·
what is yerr 2010 plan?
126 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
That Pontiac Montana looks like a cross between a SUV and van, which is not a "bad"thing.

In the back of my wifes SUV, we keep some basic stuff, like extra oil and water. We also keep some extra folding chairs. You never know when you go to a party and need a few extra chairs.

In the glove box I keep a hand crank flashlight.
Yeah, chairs are a good idea, I'm thinking of tossing my picnic grill in the back with a couple 1lb propane canisters! I'm sure I'd love to stop along the parkway spontaneously and cook up some dogs!

Oh that makes me think a fire extinguisher might be a decent idea, ABC of course :D:

Oil and water are some good ideas, I'd add some extra wind shield washer fluid...

·
what is yerr 2010 plan?
126 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I always carry a tow strap or chain & jumper cables . . . if you get stuck, most people will help you if you have them, but most people do not carry them.

Stash a spare key somewhere hidden that you can get to from the outside . . .

I always carry extra water, spare belts & hoses . . . (the old ones I took off before they broke will get you through a mess)

A tool bag, first aid kit . . . I have a power inverter wired right into my car 1500 watts of 110v AC power at the flip of a switch . . .
Yep. got a hide-a-key probably go way under the car so it's hard to get to!!! and the tow straps and such are an excellent idea!!!

·
Registered
1,202 Posts
All some great ideas! For the sake of consolidating, I'm just going to lisr what I do. Some of this will be repeats. But I'm a big fan of lists. :thumb:

Car BOB (with all the usual stuff)

First Aid Kit ($20-Sams)
Road Side Emergency Kit ($31- Sam's)
Small tool Bag ($24-Lowes)
2 quarts of oil
Windshield washer fluid
Gallon Water Jug (for radiator or you)
Small Trans Fluid
Small Brake Fluid

Flashlight
Blanket

All of the loose items fit in 1 bankers box with the first aid kit and Road side kit on top.

This set up is in all of our vehicles.

Also, FWIW, I recommend joining AAA.

·
what is yerr 2010 plan?
126 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
All some great ideas! For the sake of consolidating, I'm just going to lisr what I do. Some of this will be repeats. But I'm a big fan of lists. :thumb:

Car BOB (with all the usual stuff)

First Aid Kit ($20-Sams)
Road Side Emergency Kit ($31- Sam's)
Small tool Bag ($24-Lowes)
2 quarts of oil
Windshield washer fluid
Gallon Water Jug (for radiator or you)
Small Trans Fluid
Small Brake Fluid

Flashlight
Blanket

All of the loose items fit in 1 bankers box with the first aid kit and Road side kit on top.

This set up is in all of our vehicles.

Also, FWIW, I recommend joining AAA.
Yeah, up here in Canada we have CAA, same thing but Canadian Automotive Association. I'm going over to get that done after work tomorrow.

All good ideas in the list!

·
what is yerr 2010 plan?
126 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Roof rack
Steel pipe bumpers
A hidden pistol safe
Holders for 5gal cans.
I like the roof rack idea, really expands my cargo space, steel pipe bumpers are just sexy, nuff said, I hate running out of gas and living in an apartment I don't have the ability to store fuel so two 5galon can holders on the

Thanks Swampwood!

·
Registered
40 Posts
I lived in Alaska for 2 years when I was in the Army and off roaded alot in my Explorer and I am a mechanic. All the basics have been covered really. *A good basic tool box- even if its cheap its better then nothing. If you are buying one premade make sure it has a good variety of tools in it. *Tow strap is a must but make sure it is rated at least 50% more then the weight of your car and that it is long. I have had friends stuck because they didn't have long enough tow straps or rated high enough for the vehicle they had. *Without a doubt make sure your basic survival bag is good. *Extra fluids like a quart or two of general motor oil and a jug of premixed antifreeze (i suggest premix as you don't have to have a source of water to mix it). *A few extra small car parts can save your butt. An extra thermostat is small and cheap, a spare fan belt agian is small and cheap, a tube to RTV sealant and JB weld to make or repair gaskets can get you out of the bush and to civilization, AND make sure your spare tire is good and inflated. Most people never think of checking it till they need it and find its flat or rotted out. If you have a 2000 it should be fine but check it out. Also a bottle of fix a flat can get you out of a bad situtation but might cost you a new tire down the road. *Finally, if you want to gain some knowledge about cars, take an automotive class at a local trade school, community college, etc. Ask an advisor what they would recommend for a general course but any class can be helpful as you are sure to pick up other information. Taking a class might sound like a lot but it will make you a better car owner and buyer in the long run. Also you will be able to do some small repairs that will save you money!!!

·
Registered
1,130 Posts
-a tork bar (realy helps untighting stuff)
-a pipe that fits that tork bar (real thick one)
-booster cables or a booster pack(make shure that the pack dosent require voltage to work)
- a wool blanket ( or synthetic)
-tools
-spare tire
-5 gal container for gas /fuel
- a second flashlight
- flares ( side road stuff)

1 - 17 of 17 Posts