Survivalist Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
170 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm looking to start hunting in West TN this season. I think I can get on to a hunting lease with stands already setup. It is 1st come 1st serve but only about 15 members allowed from what I understand. The cost is $600/year for 2000 acres. Is this reasonable? Another lease I haven't looked at yet is 6000 acres and only $400/year. However it allows about 54 members and you tag your own (up to 5) stands and can't be within 200 yards of someone elses. Since I am new I think the pre-established stands sound like the better deal even for the higher costs. Opinions?

I am also making a gear lists of stuff to take. My Droid 2 Global has GPS but it may not be as good as a dedicated one. I'd like to be able to mark all the stands with waypoints on a custom map somehow. Hopefully I can use this so I can spend my money on other things I will need initially. I ordered a Topo map of my area but it the standard USGS so not really focused in on the hunting preserve (more like most of the county). What other gear do you take with you on a hunt?

What are the ways you learn to track deer, turkey, hogs? Good books or videos. When do most start scouting for signs?

Binoculars or Spotting scope? I was considering a spotting scope to help sight-in my AR at the range and for target shooting but may adjust my funds to binoculars. As far as hunting rifles, I am setup more for 3 gun stuff (AR-15, Mossberg 590A1), my brother said he would let me use his .270 this year so I might try that instead. His is scoped whereas mine wears an EOTech.
I'd appreciate any other tips for beginning hunters. Thanks

·
Registered
12,888 Posts
Your movement is going to attract attention.
Many prefir a good spotting scope.
Take a good hunter safety course.
No matter what you are hunting, Take a side arm capable of handeling the meanest badest biggest critter in that neck of the woods. Know how to use it and hope you never have to .
Pray before you go.

·
Registered
170 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Got my hunter safety knocked out a couple of months ago. Sidearms I have a Glock 19 (9mm) available or I could carry our S&W 686+ .357 Magnum w/3 1/2" barrel. Normally I carry my Glock for ammo capacity and I shoot IDPA with it so I'm pretty good with it. I did shoot IDPA once with the revolver before I got my Glock.

·
Registered
332 Posts
Do you know anyone or friends with anyone at either of the hunting camps?? Where does your brother hunt?
See if some of your friends/acquaintances hunt and get with them for first few hunting trips; most hunters are willing to share info and help you get started.

·
Registered
358 Posts
love me some deer hunting:D:
other family members use the .270, i prefer a 30-30, but being a woman, this is a smaller and lighter gun. we are blessed to be able to hunt local land/close to home, so i've never used a gps. i think it's a great idea for stand locations! i agree with getting to know the other members of the lease. some groups even have opening day get togethers and such which can be fun!
don't forget a great field dressing knife!
binoculars are very beneficial. cover scent, doe in heat or other attractants. the deer bleat call (in a can) is easy to use...so are the grunt calls for that matter.
pick up some good deer hunting magazines!
and most importantly...
enjoy your time outdoors, be safe, and put some meat in your freezer!:thumb:

·
Registered
170 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
My brother hasn't hunted in awhile. He did in high school, but he's graduated college now. What are some of your favorite deer mags? I was thinking the .270 cause it's free to use or my AR. .270 has a little more umph vs the .223 from what I hear. I just need to get it up here and try it out.

Any favorite spotting scopes or binocs that won't break the bank? Is all the stuff at Walmart a waste of my money. I don't mind saving up and buying something good, I'd rather not buy twice if I can help it.

If I'm successful this year I hope to get my own hunting rifle. Maybe a Savage 110 or a Remington 700 in .308.

All of the premade stands are enclosed, so is there any need for camo when you're just going to and from. Also how far away should you park an ATV or UTV?

·
Registered
633 Posts
Binoculars over the spotting scope if you can't get both. Cheap spotting scopes are generally worthless. Cheap binoculars are far better then none at all. Go with the best you can afford and use them.

Camo is overrated. It is okay, but movement is what catches an animal's eyes and gets you busted. You can have the best camo in the world, but if the animal catches motion, you are busted. I've had deer walk directly up to within 10 feet of me in street clothes.

Dress to the climate. Sitting in a stand can get cold.

Always wear a safety harness in the stand.

As stated above, watch your scent and wind direction. The expensive scent control clothing is not necessary, but you have to pay attention to wind direction. Use a wind indicator so you know what the wind is doing where you are, as well as 30, 50, 100 yards, etc... out.

Spend some time at the range shooting and practice as you will shoot in the woods. Even if you plan to hunt from a stand, practice some off hand shooting.

Also, as stated above, go to the library and read every magazine article and book you can find on deer hunting.

·
Registered
104 Posts
Walk the property, note where and what they have been feeding on. Look for where they bed down. Look for well worn trails (may only be 12"wide")

Pre rut look for rubs and scrapes.

Try and find someone with alot of hunting experience and pick their brain, most will be happy to talk to you. Watch the shows on TV.

Good luck

·
Professional Lurker
4,105 Posts
Wow, this makes me appreciate all the public land we have here in Oregon. I would never consider paying for the right to hunt somewhere.
If I'm going to spend $400-$600, I'll just buy a side of beef.

Reactions: Finny

·
Registered
358 Posts
hunters orange is the law here in ky, so i never fret over the camo, i just make sure i'm warm and be still.
there are usually deer hunting specific magazines, north american whitetail, etc, but you really can't beat field and stream and outdoor life. they will always have a special issue during the fall.

·
Registered
522 Posts
Yikes! I'm with Nite Hawk,thats a lot of loot to hunt.Premade stands land you don't know, are the stands by the fence. Deer hunting with an AR? Yo PC do some local squrril,and rabbit hunting on some stateland close by, those walks in the woods will do you some good.Bino's gps all that stuff aint gonna do you no good walking to your stand when it's dark. You really need to hunt with some people that know the land and how to hunt you just can't read all about it.Get a shotgun and go for a walk in the woods,then switch to slugs you'll know when. Good Luck Kid

·
Registered
170 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
The reason I'm considering paying is because I live in the city limits and these places are less than 10 minutes from my house and they allow year round use. Riding 4 wheelers, etc. It would also give me a place to practice shooting which I am currently lacking without driving over an hour. I work swing shift so my schedule is much different than everyone elses.

·
Registered
358 Posts
Good advice there. Here's a sample of what's likely in your area (west tn).
i have heard that they have been seen and shot in western ky:mad:
this would scare me out hunting more than any coyote or bobcat:eek:
i was so lucky that i had my husband take me/teach me deer hunting. there really isn't any substitute for that.

·
Pale of ale
563 Posts
I suggest not spending that much for some hunt club and finding other land to hunt on. For the amount most hunt clubs want for 1 year, you can buy half a side of beef, cut any way you want and delivered. Look for some land and talk to some farmers that might be the owners, and always offer them some of the meat if you get a deer on their land.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Paying for hunting land does seem a little crazy to me but I have a lot of land to hunt so I guess its different where you are. On the flip side if you have to go out and buy tree stands and all of the stuff that goes with them you are out just as much money. I would go with the land with the least amount of people on it. Its going to make it easier to get your deer, and much safer.

As far as the rest. Don't get to wrapped up in gear. All you really need is a good gun, a and good knife. As far as the gun goes shoot whatever you are comfortable with. The caliber doesnt really matter as long as its legal. Its more about shot placement then bullet size. Shoot a lot, know the gun inside and out. Know what to do if it malfunctions. A good sharp knife will also be key. Your going to have to gut the deer when you shoot it. So you will need to know how, and where to do that.

I have never found a practical use for a spotting scope. I have several pairs of binoculars. Ranging from cheap to expensive. I honestly cant tell much difference in them. I stick a small cheap pair in my coat pocket but if you have a gun with a scope you really wont need them.

The walmart gear is as good as anything else. I buy a lot of stuff there. Dont spend a lot of money right out of the gates. Make sure this is something you are going to enjoy and stick with. Buy things as the need arises.

As so many have mentioned deer are going to see, smell, and hear you long before a human will. So learn to play the wind, understand cover scents. Minimize your movements, test all your gear to see how it moves. Does it make noise when you move. ATVs and UTVs make noise are hard to hide and can be smelled a long ways away. Your best bet is to walk if you can.

I would suggest finding a long time hunter to partner up with and use the knowledge they have. I have hunted since I was in grade school and still find myself learning new things from the old guys ever year.

One other thing to consider. If your going to be going into or out of your stands in the dark you will want a good flashlight. Having said that light is going to spook every deer in the area. I have found that a green light works the best. I was told that deer can not see the green light. Last fall I tested this. I sat in my deer stand at night before the season started without a gun. Just me and a flashlight. The deer would walk in I would shine the green light on them and they never noticed it. Didnt have a care that I was there. As soon as I switched to a normal flashlight they were gone. I cant explain it but for me it worked. One last tip reflective thumb tacks stuck in trees make great trail markers. They shine bright in the green light but do not move like a flag will.

Hope some of this helps.

·
Registered
358 Posts
roland is giving you good advice!:)
and i also got to thinking, do you have plans for processing the deer? are you going to do it yourself? if so, you will need freezer paper and a myriad other things to help you properly do it. other than cutting steaks, anything more requires more equipment, a meat grinder, a jerky shooter, dehydrator, etc.
or look for a good processor, one who has a good price for just the basics. as said in an above post, a processing can be as expensive as a side of beef:eek: especially if you have jerky, summer sausage, etc. made.
i look forward to hearing about your first deer:thumb:

·
Registered
207 Posts
Good advice above. The only thing I can add is to carry a compass, and be sure you know how to use it. Cloudy skys, thick foliage, dead batteries, accidents, etc. make sole reliance on GPS chancy.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts