Survivalist Forum banner

1 - 20 of 55 Posts

·
Registered
1,755 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
went to my first ninjutsu class yesterday. Wow, am I feeling it today! Keeping in mind that I am just like the Panda in Kunfu Panda (before he developed awesome skills!), it was quite an eye opener for me.

In my almost-40 years I've never hit anyone. It was difficult for me to get past that. I realized just how much I have to learn. There is a lot more to self-defense than physical ability.

·
Banned
7,436 Posts
went to my first ninjutsu class yesterday. Wow, am I feeling it today! Keeping in mind that I am just like the Panda in Kungfu Panda (before he developed awesome skills!), it was quite an eye opener for me.

In my almost-40 years I've never hit anyone. It was difficult for me to get past that. I realized just how much I have to learn. There is a lot more to self-defense than physical ability.

You are a comical, fat & clumsey cartoon panda?

Seriously, Good luck with your chosen martial art. I too started martial Arts in my mid 30's it was a rewarding experience.

Pete

·
You looking at me!
4,028 Posts
Youve chosen a very hard style to start out with.

This art was designed purely to kill people, no self defence as such.

Maybe you should start with western boxing or something similar?

·
Registered
28 Posts
I took Tang So Do for 6 years when I was young(er) - only 26 now.

Once you get what you want out of the classes practice, and practice some more. I fear someone who's practiced the same punch a thousand times, versus one who's dabbled in a thousand different strikes....cheesy I know....but true....

ha....of course...I fear more of one who's armed if I'm not :rolleyes:

Good luck, and enjoy.

·
Plants don't run!
1,977 Posts
I took Tang So Do for 6 years when I was young(er) - only 26 now.

Once you get what you want out of the classes practice, and practice some more. I fear someone who's practiced the same punch a thousand times, versus one who's dabbled in a thousand different strikes....cheesy I know....but true....

ha....of course...I fear more of one who's armed if I'm not :rolleyes:

Good luck, and enjoy.
I fear a guy with a good set of combos.:p

but yea, practice, and be proficient at what you're doing! It's more fun too when you do something right and can repeat it. Best of luck and have fun!

·
Registered
28 Posts
I fear a guy with a good set of combos.:p

but yea, practice, and be proficient at what you're doing! It's more fun too when you do something right and can repeat it. Best of luck and have fun!
:D:
HAHA, I think you know what I mean. And yeah..once you get good a one thing...add another...just try not to be like Jackie Chan in Drunken Master :thumb:

·
Live Clean, Fight dirty
1,377 Posts
Sounds like you had fun, keep it up.

Once you get hit by others in your class a couple times. It won't feel so strange to hit back.:D:

I have always wondered what training was like in Ninjitisu, I think if I had a class by me I would check it out.

Be safe and train hard.:thumb:

·
Registered
97 Posts
Good work on doing something to better yourself.
Best advice already been said, but I'll say it too be safe + enjoy.
Stretch yourself alot.

·
I am what I have become
414 Posts
Extremejoy,
Who is your teacher and what style if Ninjitsu are you stuying?
We have some very good people here in GA.
I have also studied this art.
It is all encompassing. A lifetime of learning.
AP

·
Registered
807 Posts
Ahem - the mention was made of being shaped like a panda.

In a situation like that, I give the same advice for martial arts as I give for fitness. Whatever YOU like well enough to get up and do it regualarly until exercise and motion becomes a habit, THAT is the ideal thing for you.

Later on you may want something different. Thats fine. But if thinking of ninjas gets you up and moving, going to class, making a real effort, then I have to applaud you.

By the way, I also have entertained myself on afternoons doing balance exercises like walking fence poles, trying to jump-climb walls, had made throwing stars, etc. That won't help me in a one on one slam-bang, but it may help me escape from a mob.

·
Banned
1,927 Posts
went to my first ninjutsu class yesterday. Wow, am I feeling it today! Keeping in mind that I am just like the Panda in Kunfu Panda (before he developed awesome skills!), it was quite an eye opener for me.

Heres a tip,dont be defensive.Have a good balance of both at the same time.And a rhino block isa good block.

·
Registered
30 Posts

I always think Ninjitsu is cool! So what are some of the techniques that have been taught? I am Taekwondo practitioner (WTF), and i've been training for 5 years. We focus alot on kickings, but during free time, our instructors will teach us other unarmed combat skills incorporating the usage of hands & arms techniques.

·
Registered
14,867 Posts
I always think Ninjitsu is cool! So what are some of the techniques that have been taught? I am Taekwondo practitioner (WTF), and i've been training for 5 years. We focus alot on kickings, but during free time, our instructors will teach us other unarmed combat skills incorporating the usage of hands & arms techniques.

Not to be rude because you are new here and I don't know you, but "ninjitsu" and other "mall ninja" skills are generally regarded as ridiculous around here and warrant taunts.

·
Shuriken snowflake
16,823 Posts
Ninjutsu is just so so cool. I chose it because it sort of fits me. I was less than 30 when I took classes, my friend went too. Problem was that the place we were located in probably had some kind of evil mold, so it gave my friend asthma. And myself I had just gotten a sort of illness that temporarily raised my blood pressure, so I had to take meds. That meant I couldn't do any hasty movements and just doing a simple somersault made me completely dizzy. Also we were the only adults and the kids were just so much faster learners.

Had we been in a group that was on our level minus the asthma and low blood pressure/heartrate, I'm certain we had now dropped out after half a semester.

·
Banned
426 Posts
Not to be rude because you are new here and I don't know you, but "ninjitsu" and other "mall ninja" skills are generally regarded as ridiculous around here and warrant taunts.

and yet only three posts out of 19 were negative, with the rest being very supportive. Apparently, the op's post is NOT generally regarded as ridiculous. Please don't speak for the forum. Just say YOU think it ridiculous.
I think it's awesome that an almost 40 year old can find a form of exercise to do. There is nothing wrong with Ninjitsu. It is as valid as ANY martial art. Anything that can help you become a better person is worth it. Plus, if the op enjoys it, what's wrong with that?

1 - 20 of 55 Posts