Survivalist Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
203 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a first generation MOLLE rucksack and frame. Theres nothing wrong with the frame but I have heard that the plastic frames are prone to breaking under stress. My question is this: Can I take a new 4th gen frame and attach it in place of the frail old frame with no problems or modifications? any ideas on how to do this as cheap as possible. no i dont have money do buy a new pack this is just a back up pack anyway. thanks for any help -1fishhead :upsidedown:

·
Hooligan on Holiday
2,368 Posts
I wish I could answer that for you but I went to a non contract rig years ago. I assume you have tried to incorporate the frame already so I wont ask.

·
Registered
203 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Yes you can use the Newer generation MOLLE frames with the older stuff. Many places sell the new frames. You can find them on egay often times too.
hahah "egay". what is a good price to pay. also i have woodland camo pack and bags would a desert tan frame look wierd together?

·
Infidel Strong
44 Posts
Yeah egay, LOL....I have seen them as cheap as like $4 or $5 on there but keep in mind that shipping charges is where they rape you sometimes. Consider probably say $8 or so the cheapest that you could probably get it shipped. YMMV though.....The tan frame would look fine with the Woodland camo ruck, no issues there really. I presume your old one was/is black? They have new frames in Foliage Green if it makes you feel better, LOL.....OR you can use some Krylon fusion spray paint in OD green on it!

·
Registered
203 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Yeah egay, LOL....I have seen them as cheap as like $4 or $5 on there but keep in mind that shipping charges is where they rape you sometimes. Consider probably say $8 or so the cheapest that you could probably get it shipped. YMMV though.....The tan frame would look fine with the Woodland camo ruck, no issues there really. I presume your old one was/is black? They have new frames in Foliage Green if it makes you feel better, LOL.....OR you can use some Krylon fusion spray paint in OD green on it!
cool thanks for the info im gonna check it out. ill just keep the old (black) frame as a backup.

·
Infidel Strong
44 Posts
No problem, those MOLLE frames are abundant on there. The problem I am having is finding a woodland Molle set of shoulder straps AND a waist belt/kidney pad (all in Woodland) to retrofit my OLD ALICE Ranger Ruck (large ruck) from my Army days many moons ago.....all I can find is DCU (3-color desert) and the places that DO have the woodland ones are freaking ridiculous on shipping!

·
Wide awake
1,963 Posts
I strongly recommend putting a good internal frame mountain ruck on your Christmas list. MOLLE will pay the rent for camping and casual use, but it is hell on your body for long rucks. The Marine Corps went to an outstanding internal frame mountain ruck called the ILBE. Its better than the $500 ruck I bought myself. Either way, I would plan to upgrade in the future.

·
Infidel Strong
44 Posts
I've seen those new USMC ILBE rucks on egay also, for about $200-$250......For that money I am kind of interested in the Eberlestock Halftrack pack also.....

·
Wide awake
1,963 Posts
I've seen those new USMC ILBE rucks on egay also, for about $200-$250......For that money I am kind of interested in the Eberlestock Halftrack pack also.....
$250 is actually a fantastic price for the ILBE. I paid good money for an after market, and my issued ILBE is exponentially tougher and better made.

·
Infidel Strong
44 Posts
I am not really up to speed on the ILBE system, but I presume that it is composed of many different components, right? Meaning, of course, that it has more than just a main ruck, right? I have seen several on ebay but the prices vary. They have some that are touted as the "main ruck" and others touted as the "patrol pack" (I guess kind of like the MOLLE system).....Come to think of it, I saw an ILBE ruck (in woodland MARPAT) that appeared to be heavily used in one of the local Army/Navy stores recently and it had seen better days but still looked very serviceable. It was attached to a MOLLE 2 frame. They didn't have a price on it though but I might have to go back and see what they want for it if it is still there. I have a sneaking suspicion that they didn't know what they had. I say this because I had to explain to them one day about the differences between some ALICE stuff vs. some MOLLE stuff, LOL....

·
Registered
203 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I strongly recommend putting a good internal frame mountain ruck on your Christmas list. MOLLE will pay the rent for camping and casual use, but it is hell on your body for long rucks. The Marine Corps went to an outstanding internal frame mountain ruck called the ILBE. Its better than the $500 ruck I bought myself. Either way, I would plan to upgrade in the future.
yea my neighbor (a marine) has an ILBE issued to him and he hates it. he said he wishes he could just buy his own rucksack and use it. but anyway with as much weight as those guys are required to carry anything is gonna suck. the molle is comfterable i can handle it fine i just dont wana be a day out or maybe two and have the frame fail on me. that would not be a fun excursion.

·
Wide awake
1,963 Posts
yea my neighbor (a marine) has an ILBE issued to him and he hates it. he said he wishes he could just buy his own rucksack and use it. but anyway with as much weight as those guys are required to carry anything is gonna suck. the molle is comfterable i can handle it fine i just dont wana be a day out or maybe two and have the frame fail on me. that would not be a fun excursion.
I have worked with thousands of different Marines since the ILBE was first issued, and that is honestly the very first time I have ever heard of a Marine hating it.

However, if you're comfortable with the MOLLE, do your thing. I would just make sure you're dong some 12-20 mile rucks with at least 55 lbs just to be sure.

Almost anything is comfortable for the first six miles.

·
Wide awake
1,963 Posts
I am not really up to speed on the ILBE system, but I presume that it is composed of many different components, right? Meaning, of course, that it has more than just a main ruck, right? I have seen several on ebay but the prices vary. They have some that are touted as the "main ruck" and others touted as the "patrol pack" (I guess kind of like the MOLLE system)....
It isn't really composed of many different components, just a main pack and a patrol pack. The patrol pack clips on the back of the pack. You can keep gear in it, or keep it empty. If you want to stage the main ruck for any reason, the day pack easily unclips.

Come to think of it, I saw an ILBE ruck (in woodland MARPAT) that appeared to be heavily used in one of the local Army/Navy stores recently and it had seen better days but still looked very serviceable. It was attached to a MOLLE 2 frame. They didn't have a price on it though but I might have to go back and see what they want for it if it is still there....
You'd have to take a close look at that system. The ILBE has a completely internal frame.

·
Registered
10 Posts
1st gen molle ruck frame

Don't worry about the plastic frames. I tested the original frames and jumped them w/ full combat loads+fully stocked trauma aid bag. Easily 100lbs landing at the end of an 18' lowering line. Never had a problem. Hiked parts of the appalachian trail w/ no problem. Carried a FULL cooler of food and Foster's oil cans w/ no problem.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts