Survivalist Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
34,628 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So, I've been reading up on it....

I didn't know that it was called the "Spanish" Flu because all the other countries had governments which put out gag orders (simplifying) on their media's to keep their people from knowing about the risk.
(50-100 million people died)

The Spanish media were the only ones warning people.... Till it was too late and the countries couldn't hide it anymore.

·
Registered
2,413 Posts
So, I've been reading up on it....

I didn't know that it was called the "Spanish" Flu because all the other countries had governments which put out gag orders (simplifying) on their media's to keep their people from knowing about the risk.
(50-100 million people died)

The Spanish media were the only ones warning people.... Till it was too late and the countries couldn't hide it anymore.
Yup. The other notable reminder is the length of time. Wasn’t a TV serial / movie, with everything tied up in a bow at the end of the hour.

Years of ramifications.

·
Swirl Herder
3,676 Posts
The Spanish Flu also produced the historical equivalent of the Diamond Princess.

Troops coming back from Europe (on ships) developed infections and were quarantined off the coast from their destinations. They had to wait for the infections to burn themselves out (with little support or medical care). There were lots of burials at sea......:(

Tough break for all those who had just survived a very unpleasant war.

·
Registered
34,628 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
This pattern repeated itself again and again. Chicago offers one example: Its public health commissioner said he'd do "nothing to interfere with the morale of the community.... It is our duty to keep the people from fear. Worry kills more people than the epidemic" (Robertson, 1918).

That idea - "Fear kills more than the disease" - became a mantra nationally and in city after city. As Literary Digest, one of the largest circulation periodicals in the country, advised, "Fear is our first enemy" (Van Hartesveldt, 1992).

https://www.sott.net/article/288524...vent-panic-It-backfired-as-it-will-with-Ebola

·
Dog Lives Matter
6,443 Posts
The Gunnison area actually did have deaths from the Spanish flu. Several years ago I was researching the history of a historic Gunnison ranch for the current ranch owner. The original ranch owner was one of the founders of Gunnison. One of his daughters died from the Spanish flu in 1919.

The family of the founder had told me that one of their ancestors died from the Spanish flu. I found the newspaper article announcement of the death and mentioned it to the elderly lady who was in charge of research for the Gunnison Museum. She told me they barricaded the town and did not let anyone in. She said there were no cases of the flu in Gunnison. That could be true because the ranch is about 6 miles from Gunnison. It could have been outside the barricaded area.

Outside the barricade, you might die. Inside the barricade, all survive.

Here is the article I wrote for the ranch.

John B. Outcalt and the Outcault Homestead

·
Registered
1,738 Posts
The book to read is John Barry's The Great Influenza. It's long but thorough and includes an interesting parallel discussion of medical education in the US. (We have a relative, a young man, who disappeared in the fall of 1918 while working in the Buffalo NY area. I have long suspected he died of the flu and no one knew how to contact his family in the South.)

1 - 9 of 9 Posts