Survivalist Forum banner

1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Average Joe
277 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Alright, found these surplus Spanish Mausers in .308 for $169.95 for sale at Samco Global Arsenal and I have question.

Are these rifles safe to shoot ? I heard that these rifles were chambered in 7x57 Mauser and they converted them to .308 Winchester(7.62x51 NATO). Also I heard that .308 are too much for the barrel because of the pressure in different.

So, are the rifles safe to shoot or will they blow my arm off :eek: ?

Yes I known about the Mosin Nagants.

Attachments

·
Learning
6,703 Posts
I had 1 of these rifles for awhile...I think it was around $119 when I got it. I only shot NATO 7.62x51...I never shot any commercial .308 in the rifle for the same reasons you are concerned about. It is the general belief that genuine nato rounds will be fine.

With that being said...I sold the rifle because it kicks like a mule! I'm definitely not recoil sensitive. I've shot 10 gauges and I shot 3.5" magnums in my 12 gauge pump while turkey hunting. I've shot a .338WM, .30-06, Mosins, 8mm Mausers and lots of other guns, but there was something about this rifle that I couldn't stand.

I sold it for about $100 at a gun show. I think I lost about $20 on the sale, but the rifle was absolutely worthless to me. I ended up getting an Ishapore Enfield in .308 instead (and eventually a m1a).

But for the price it is a decent deal...

·
Registered
3,286 Posts
I personally wouldn't buy one today, it is the same as my 1895 Chilean converted to .308, in that it only has 2 locking lugs on the bolt versus the gold standard 98's 3 lugs.

I shot thousands of rounds through my 1895, but that was because I was a poor boy back then, obviously mine never went boom, but I would shoot it in an emergency these days, but that's it, I wont even sell it for fear somebody would do something dumb with it.

BTW, they replaced the barrels when converting them, cheaper than trying to drill, rifle and re-assemble the existing barrel to the rifle, so the barrel should not be an issue.

If i were looking for a cheap centerfire, I would spend the extra hundred or so and get a Savage Axis.......

And as Preacherboy says, it kicks like a mule, perhaps not as bad as a Moist nugget, but close....:taped:

·
Learning
6,703 Posts
I shot Mosins...m38, m44, and m91/30 and none of them had the felt recoil of that stinking Spanish 1916!

If .308 is desired and you want milsurp get the Ishapore Enfield...they are going up in price big time though.

·
Registered
1,947 Posts
I agree with the above on sticking to NATO level loads as commercial .308 today is hotter than the original military load. The Federal loads designed for the M1A should also be fine as they stick to standard NATO specs so as to not abuse that gun's gas system.

·
Retired Army
5,536 Posts
BTW, they replaced the barrels when converting them, cheaper than trying to drill, rifle and re-assemble the existing barrel to the rifle, so the barrel should not be an issue....
The Spanish and the Chilean Mauser conversions were not done the same. And, they did not replace the barrels on either of them.

The Spanish conversion was done by re-boring the original 7mm barrel to .30 cal., then they removed some metal off of the rear end of the barrel, re-chambered with a 7.62x51 NATO reamer, and re-installed the barrel.

The Chileans, on the other hand, re-bored the barrel to .30 cal., reamed out the rear end of the barrel, soldered in a sleeve, chambered the sleeve with a 7.62x51 NATO reamer and then re-installed the barrel. (see here)

All of that said, I have both and I don't have any problem shooting either.

Here is an article of interest from Guns and Ammo:

I have also heard people say that the Spanish Mauser is not chambered for 7.62 NATO but, rather, something called a 7.62 CETME. Well, someone better tell the Spanish government.
Spanish M1916 Manual:

I have shot some .308 150 grain ammo in mine without any issues although, I prefer 7.62 NATO simply because it is cheaper. But, if I had to use an M1916 or my Chilean M95 to go hunt a deer or something, I would have full confidence in either one.:thumb:

Al

·
Registered
34,722 Posts
7.62 CETME IS DIFFERENT than 7.62 NATO.

CURRENT CETME rifles are chambered in 7.62 NATO, but the first ones weren't.

7.62 CETME is to 7.62 NATO like .38 vs .357.

People do it, but I won't shoot a small ring Mauser rechambered to .308
Period

Brownells has an excellent page on the different types of Mauser actions.

·
Retired Army
5,536 Posts
7.62 CETME IS DIFFERENT than 7.62 NATO.

CURRENT CETME rifles are chambered in 7.62 NATO, but the first ones weren't.

7.62 CETME is to 7.62 NATO like .38 vs .357.

People do it, but I won't shoot a small ring Mauser rechambered to .308
Period

Brownells has an excellent page on the different types of Mauser actions.
Yes, you are right, and I know about the CETME round but, that is not what the Mausers were re-chambered to shoot like some folks will have you believe.

I respect your un-willingness to shoot them but, I think that if there was a big issue with them, places like SAMCO and others that have sold these rifles would have long been out of business due to the liability suits that they would have encountered. I just don't believe that very many actually blow up.

They (SAMCO) sell them as shooters so, they take on the liabilty.
Springfield Sporters used to sell almost all of their wares with the caveat that they are being sold as non-shooters and, IIRC you had to sign a statement that you knew and understood that. No liabilty.

Believe me, I have plenty of other firearms to use before I would have to make one of these (M1916 or M1895) my primary firearm so, I own and shoot them for the historical value only.

Al

·
Registered
34,722 Posts
http://www.brownells.com/.aspx/lid=11029/guntechdetail/The-Long-and-Short-of-Mauser-Actions

Most people who buy guns don't really shoot them.

I do. Thousands and thousands of rounds.
Not so much t he last year or so due to health reasons, but hopefully that will be fixed soon.

Someone who shoots many rounds vs someone who shoots perhaps 100 through a rifle Ina. Lifetime are very different things.

You just have to be unlucky once to ruin your life.

Up to you, personally I'll spend another $200

·
Registered
3,286 Posts
The Spanish and the Chilean Mauser conversions were not done the same. And, they did not replace the barrels on either of them.

The Spanish conversion was done by re-boring the original 7mm barrel to .30 cal., then they removed some metal off of the rear end of the barrel, re-chambered with a 7.62x51 NATO reamer, and re-installed the barrel.

The Chileans, on the other hand, re-bored the barrel to .30 cal., reamed out the rear end of the barrel, soldered in a sleeve, chambered the sleeve with a 7.62x51 NATO reamer and then re-installed the barrel. (see here)

All of that said, I have both and I don't have any problem shooting either.

Here is an article of interest from Guns and Ammo:

I have also heard people say that the Spanish Mauser is not chambered for 7.62 NATO but, rather, something called a 7.62 CETME. Well, someone better tell the Spanish government.
Spanish M1916 Manual:

I have shot some .308 150 grain ammo in mine without any issues although, I prefer 7.62 NATO simply because it is cheaper. But, if I had to use an M1916 or my Chilean M95 to go hunt a deer or something, I would have full confidence in either one.:thumb:

Al
Many thanks for that incredibly informative article! I guess they had more time than money........ I am also encouraged that you don't feel uncomfortable shooting yours. Like I said, I put thousands of mil-surp rounds thru mine, and it never went boom.

I probably still wont sell it, after all, I only have 69 bucks in it, but I wouldn't really worry now if I ever did.

Again, thanks, it is good to learn something new. :thumb:

·
Registered
904 Posts
The importer also had H.P. White Laboratories test them to make sure they were safe. The small ring Mauser can handle a lot more than people give it credit for. Kimber converted hundreds of small ring Swedes to various calibers including .308 Win. Anyone heard of them blowing up?

·
Registered
34,722 Posts
Many thanks for that incredibly informative article! I guess they had more time than money........ I am also encouraged that you don't feel uncomfortable shooting yours. Like I said, I put thousands of mil-surp rounds thru mine, and it never went boom.

I probably still wont sell it, after all, I only have 69 bucks in it, but I wouldn't really worry now if I ever did.

Again, thanks, it is good to learn something new. :thumb:
Buy a $60 lee hand press and load for it.

Check the pressures of the original loads, and load the .308 to that/under that pressure. Since its manually operated... Your good.

I just had a lee hand press delivered to the airstream a few minutes ago as I have no space in it to set up any of my 4 presses....

·
Registered
2,462 Posts
I just sold an FR8 not long ago, actually traded it off as a guy just "had to have it" and made a stupidly lop sided trade to get it. It of course is built on the M43 Spanish Large Mauser action. Was a great little rifle but I hadn't shot it in a long time....

·
Registered
590 Posts
Does anybody know where i can get a replacement bolt for this rifle or if there are bolts from different mausers that are interchangeable with this 1916 308

·
Retired Army
5,536 Posts
Does anybody know where i can get a replacement bolt for this rifle or if there are bolts from different mausers that are interchangeable with this 1916 308
Spanish bolts are unique to the Spanish models. They have a flat bottom as opposed to other small ring Mausers having a round bottom. You can use any Spanish small ring Mauser bolt from 1893 series of rifles or carbines. Those would be Model 1895 (all), M1916 Type 1 or Type 2 and the Model FR-7. Just make sure it has the flat bottom. (and, you have it properly headspaced to the rifle you are going to use it in)

Here is a link to get parts. Springfield Sporters

Al

Reactions: Ricekila

·
Registered
12,138 Posts
I have the FR8, no worries about shooting .308 or whatever. As stated previously, it does have a kick.:thumb:

On the 1916/FR7 version...I'd be particular about ammo, not for safety, really, but simply to prolong the life of the gun.

Love the little storage compartment.:thumb:

1 - 20 of 39 Posts