Survivalist Forum banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
124 Posts
Want to know what you guys think about ss 1911 in all wheather conditions. I have 3 1911 one springfield loaded ss, the other 2 kimber ultra carrys 1 stainless the other black. If shtf and was outside in all 4 seasons, would these guns hold up as good as a Xd or glock, had 2 xd but sold them now thinking might need the 9mm xdm for all around wheather if these guns wouldnt be good.

·
Registered
1,746 Posts
I'd say it's a toss up leaning towards Glock. But I'd rather find a double charged round in my 1911 than my Glock. That and it feels better. But that's besides the point. So I'd have to go with Glock.

·
Banned
1,533 Posts
No.

*"The message you have entered is too short. Please lengthen your message to at least 10 characters."*

I dont need 10 characters to answer the question ...

Yes , they would . Light oil in the winter on the rails and locking lugs , keep it close and warm .

Ask yourself one question , ..........Do want a gun built by a GENIUS firearms designer or a furniture designer ???? .

·
Happiness is 2 at low 8
1,403 Posts
The M1911A1 served in the bitter cold of the Battle of the Bulge and in the steaming jungles of the South Pacific in WWII. It also served well in the jungles of Vietnam and the bitter cold of Korea...

That being history of the GI M1911A1's, the tighter tolerances of modern civilian copies of the M1911A1 may not perform as well.

The Glock is untested AFAIK. Looks real good on paper and in artificial test environments, but is not combat tested in the real world...

I bet my life on a Kimber Ultra CDP II, but I don't see bitter cold weather very often...

Allan

·
Deo VIndice
6,108 Posts
Yes , they would . Light oil in the winter on the rails and locking lugs , keep it close and warm .

Ask yourself one question , ..........Do want a gun built by a GENIUS firearms designer or a furniture designer ???? .
Interesting...who was the GENIUS and who was the furniture designer? Forgive my ignorance on the subject. :)

·
Registered
1,746 Posts
so with the 3 i have no need to worry about buying something for all around wheather
To be honest, either is fine.

But you know, birdman has a fine point. I keep my 1911 on me more than I do my 19. Much more so. I also don't have to worry about that mangy trigger safety. While it was a good thought, I don't think it was implemented right. A grip safety would be more practical in use and not bother the trigger. Something H&K P7 comes to mind or even use the 1911 grip safety idea.

Either way, I don't like the trigger on the Glock. I also don't like the fact I don't have a hammer on the outside. But that aside, I've taken a nose dive in birdmans direction anyway. You can't beat JMB or a design that is working on it's tenth decade of use. Not much else can compete with that.

·
Registered
96 Posts
The 1911 is a good design. It is so good that all other pistol makers copied the design to a degree. They changed the locking feature, but kept the tilt lock system. It has been used since the U.S. Army adopted it in 1911. I have personally carried one for 10 years, and have never felt the least bit bad about it. The 1911 will last for a long time no matter what he weather.

·
Registered
45 Posts
1911 is a specific gun, so there is just one person responsible. Glock is a whole company, so more than one responsible and technically it was curtain rods, not furniture they made :)

Now as for reliability... I would say it depends on if were talking duty holster exposed to the elements or concealed, the finish on the 1911, and the maintenance on the weapons in question. Overall ... IMO ... Glock would be more reliable. But I still carry a 1911 anyways.

I am more old fashioned and all that plastic and lack of sexy curves and its lighter physique just makes it feel like a toy to me. One of my 8 round Kimber mags weighs more than a co-workers double stack .40 Glock plastic mag. This is good for some, but I am just old fashioned. I use a serpa level 2 holster (completely open top) in rain, snow, ice, and hurricane conditions and haven't had any problems at all. I am paranoid and clean it after I get off work, but its still in perfect condition each time I clean it after this kind of work even when I have to use it in the rain. FYI we are required to have it visible or wear a clear poncho in rain so it is exposed directly to rain quite allot as I think we look like big condoms in clear poncho's and use my black dusters drawn back over the holster.

·
American fearmaker
14,243 Posts
Both guns are good to go. I have both on hand BUT I prefer the Glock as my main defensive go to pistol. My Glock has been the most reliable pistol I have EVER owned. Even better than either of my 1911s. A Glock pistol is like the AK-47s of rifles: MORE RELIABLE than other guns.

·
"Dolt"
3,265 Posts

Ahh but I dont have to give my glock any special attention. It just goes bang every time with no complaints about being cold.

:)

Many people would say G.Glock is a firearms GENIUS, myself included.

·
Registered
1,746 Posts
Ahh but I dont have to give my glock any special attention. It just goes bang every time with no complaints about being cold.

Hope it isn't for the use of polymer, that was HK in the VP70. Gaston Glock has designed a pistol and a latrine tool. JMB has designed the ma deuce, the 1911, the High Power, the BAR, the slides found on all semi-auto pistols today, and holds 128 patents. How many does Gaston have again? :rolleyes::confused:

·
Banned
1,533 Posts
Interesting...who was the GENIUS and who was the furniture designer? Forgive my ignorance on the subject. :)

John Moses Browning .

Gaston Glock , the G17 is named for his 17th patten .

·
Registered
447 Posts

I agree with you doc, but putting the argument aside for a moment, why would you leave your gun outside in all 4 seasons? Even in SHTF I would do my best to take care of my equipment, that means both storage and maintenance.

Personally I would just get what ever guns I liked and have extra ammo, parts, cleaning kits, ect for them so if the S did HTF I could still use what I was used to using.

1 - 20 of 34 Posts