Survivalist Forum banner

1851 navy colt

10128 16
I am looking for a 1851 navy colt, I dont want an original, I want a shootable model, I dont know much about guns so I hope you understand what I mean
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

· Registered
Which bag? No way I'm carrying all this stuff, that's why I turned my F150 into a bugout truck.
5,591 Posts
Cabela's is pretty much the cheapest you will find, go to the store if you can, I bought a 1861 Old Army for half price, but that was one of the few times I was near a store.

I've bought all the rest of mine online and have had no trouble and the price was better than.other places. I have a bunch of black powder pistols. And yes the colt navy is good, but if you are doing the conversion kit I think you should go Remington for that. Backstrap makes it so much stronger, in fact I thought they only made them for the reminwgton. And yes it is a 45 long colt.

· Registered
Which bag? No way I'm carrying all this stuff, that's why I turned my F150 into a bugout truck.
5,591 Posts
I need to take some pics someday. But as a huge bp pistol fan I shoot and own quite a collection.

Here's what I've discovered of the replicas. They are as good as the originals.

The 1851 colt is fun and accurate.

The 1858 new army is the best for the conversions, in fact like I said before, I thought they only come for the 1858. Also the bison model after a few adjustments will hit in the black at 50 yards consistently. It really only holds a few more grains than the navy, I'll come back to that.

The 1861 old army is alot like the colt but fancier.

Also have a cattlemen's in bp. Love it for playing QuickDraw And a lemat I still need to shoot.

Now the main reason for this post. If you want a bp with power, spend the extra money for a walker. It was the most powerful handgun before the introduction of the magnums. I have a Remington flask that dispenses 26 grains by volume. I use it for everything. Colt and remington. But for my walker I double fill it, so I'm shooting 52 grains out of it. It will definitely take something down, it's a little on the big side but I'm a really big guy with xxl hands, it's a perfect fit for me.

Yes they are on the high end but sometimes you can buy a cheap one from people who bought them right after 9/11. In Ca after 9/11 a lot of walkers were sold due to a self defense handgun with no waiting period, but some people didn't take to them after shooting them a couple times.

They also didn't clean them all that well.

I picked one up a couple of years ago for 75 dollars and after 2 good cleanings and some wd40 in the process to remove the surface rust, I now have a matching pair of walker's for cowboy action shooting and western re-enactments.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.