Survivalist Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Banned
1,201 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Do all AK-47's needs to be converted with US made parts in order to legally use high capacity magazines?

I'm thinking about a Saiga 7.62x39mm but the cost of buying all the parts ends up about the same as a Bulgarian made, etc. (which already has the pistol grip and folding stock).

But then, wouldn't I need to swap in US made parts on the Bulgarian rifle also? Thanks.

·
Registered
34,722 Posts
Those sold with the pistol grip, taking High Cap mags already etc...

HAve already had the US parts added in. (If your buying from a reputable company)

·
Banned
1,201 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
So basically only the Saigas need to be modified to comply with 922R because _only_ they import them as "sports" rifles with 10 round mags?

·
NRA Instructor-Ohio CCW
3,169 Posts
There are two advantages of a Saiga. First, they are a true Russian AK. The gun has just been modified to a sporter configuration. Converting it is just the process of returning it to the original.

Second, you can add the furniture that you want and have the configuration you want.

You can always buy a converted Saiga, if you don't want to do the conversion.

Here is one of mine:

·
Banned
1,201 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
There are two advantages of a Saiga. First, they are a true Russian AK. The gun has just been modified to a sporter configuration. Converting it is just the process of returning it to the original.

Second, you can add the furniture that you want and have the configuration you want.

You can always buy a converted Saiga, if you don't want to do the conversion.

Here is one of mine:

Damn that looks nice.

They don't take regular hi-cap AK mags though right? This sounds like a big hassle to convert them to take hi-cap mags.

·
Registered
95 Posts
Yes, they can take normal AK mags with just a little filing on the mag, but you have to do the conversion to make them 922 compliant to keep it legal using foreign AK mags. Surefire makes US made mags that fit without any modification and are of nice quality...at least in 7.62 cal. It doesn't take much to make a Saiga 922 complaint without having to do a full over conversion.

·
NRA Instructor-Ohio CCW
3,169 Posts
It is not much work to convert it to accept hi cap mags. A bullet guide($30) and a little filing of the catch.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts