Survivalist Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
In a pile of brass
3,776 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i'm really nt having much luck finding any guns in the .17 mach 2 cal that arent over priced. can anyone help me out? any suggestions as to where to look for one or who makes one at around $200???? i could never justify paying to much over $200 for a rimfire.

i guess if we can't come up with one, i'll just get that 17 HMR at walmart for $149.95 :)

·
Registered
14 Posts
I have a .17hmr...get it. I looked at both calibers and the .17hmr is better (to me). It's one bad lil caliber, lotta energy transfer to the target. Look it up on youtube and see some of the vids.

·
Registered
4,886 Posts
Why not spend more for your rimfire rifle? Most folks tend to store several times as much ammo for their rimfires. Most states have 1/2 year to all year long small game seasons. Most folks spend more time at the range with rimfire rifles. For 22lr, you can get a good rifle for $200 range. Other calibers are tough. I would pikc 22 mag over the 17 calibers. Another 50 yards over the 22lr, but can still fire 22lr in a pinch with an adapter. I kinda see 17 mach 2 dwindling into non-exsistence. I also know several hunters who own 17 caliber rimfires, but they all do not use them anymore. Some complain about wind, other complain about it being too agressive on squirrel sized animals.

You can be off 4" and still get a deer. Some people harvet deer when their aim is off by a foot. You can't be off by an inch and get a squirrel.

Here's a used one for $230. Marlin bolt w/ bull barrel.

http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.aspx?Item=151335485

·
Registered
205 Posts
I've been lusting after the little HM2 myself but have resisted the urge for a few reasons:

1. Think you're having a hard time finding the rifle? Try finding the ammo. Almost non-existant in my neck of the woods.

2. The performance of the HMR is a LOT better and the ammo is a LOT more accessible in nearly every area of the U.S.

·
Registered
9,117 Posts
The problem lied in your price point not with the cartridge choice...go up in price and a slew of Mach2 appear and usually at the same price as the HRM, WRM and LR will sell for...

You'll get a better looking rifle with more attention applied to details which will probably mean a slightly more accurate rifle as well...better trigger and action and most likely bedding...

Try Savage, Ruger M77/22, CZ, although way out of your price range, Browning T-Bolt...

·
Super Gassy Moderator
66,260 Posts
If you think the gun is expensive, wait till you see what you're going to be paying for "rimfire ammo". The .17 is a solution in search of a problem. But as long as it makes money for the manufacturers.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts