Survivalist Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My dad tells me my old 16 ga sxs is reliable ive shot about 30 rabbits and 2 hogs with it so far (only had for 4 yrs) i borrowed his 12 gauge and used it i got 53 rabbits in 1 and a half days what would the public recomend?????:confused:

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
yer

virtually but dad said he used it as a youngster dont no weather to get a beretta or lanber???? what would u suggest:confused:

·
Happiness is 2 at low 8
1,403 Posts
My dad tells me my old 16 ga sxs is reliable ive shot about 30 rabbits and 2 hogs with it so far (only had for 4 yrs) i borrowed his 12 gauge and used it i got 53 rabbits in 1 and a half days what would the public recomend?????:confused:
Unless the 16ga doesn't fit you very well I suspect you would have brought down the same 53 rabbits in the day and a half that you did with the 12ga.

What I'm saying is for small game like rabbits it's unlikely the gauge of the shotgun was the difference. The choke perhaps, I trust your SxS is a full and modified? What's the choke on the 12 ga?

Allan

·
Happiness is 2 at low 8
1,403 Posts
Perhaps the drop or stock length on the 12ga fits you better. There is not enough difference in the ammunition to make a difference in your game-getting ability so it has to be something else... by all means get the gun that you shoot the best.

If you secretly switch the 16ga and the 12ga do you think your Dad will notice?:taped:

Allan

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
yer eventually when he opens his safe because the 12gauge is a under and over skeet gun :mad: and i think the stock is at a perfect height its a high shooter on the sbs the barrel ison slight slant i feel better looking down a single barrel instead of an sbs. should that change annything?????

·
Happiness is 2 at low 8
1,403 Posts
Certainly. With the SxS you have a much wider "sight" so you may be off just enough so you miss. This is why you very seldom will see a SxS on a trap or skeet field whereas the o/u are ubiquitous (there's lots of them).

Also if your SxS is a field gun and the o/u is a skeet/target gun then the stock is set up to give a different sight picture. On the skeet gun the clay target will sit over the front sight (the target sits on top of the sight) whereas on the field gun the front sight covers the target (the target cannot be seen).

Now for your rabbits when shooting the SxS you should not be able to see the bunny when you pull the trigger (lead aside) whereas when you shoot the o/u you should be seeing the rabbit when you pull the trigger.

Hope that helps. Spend some time on a skeet range OR better yet a 5-stand field or sporting clays course to get a better feel for that SxS... Again it's not 16 ga vs 12 ga it's the SxS field gun vs the O/U target gun... and it may also be the fit of the stock...

Allan

·
Freedom Is Not Free
662 Posts
I started out with a 16 ga double that was my Dads. So I have a soft spot for the 16. Loved that gun, just wish it wasn't holding up space in my brother's closet. The O/U sight plain is easier to shoot with, but I'd love to have a sidebyside again.

·
Ding... Thanks for playin
4,922 Posts
16 may be getting harder to get shells for in certain places, 12 ga shells are everywhere... but I have both! I would say depends on which one YOU are more comfortable with...

·
Registered
577 Posts
I have a 16ga. Upland Shooter by Savage, and a 16ga. Parker Double Barrel. I would not part with either of them but it is getting much harder to find shells for 16ga. these days. Now most of my hunting is done with one of 3 Remington 12ga. shotguns.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts