Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Destroyer of Ignorance
2,988 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
May their souls rest in peace.

http://www.presstv.com/detail.aspx?id=68821&sectionid=351020201

Sixteen US troops from the 57th Unit of the Airborne Division have committed suicide inside a military base in Iraq, security sources say.

Iraqi security sources have revealed that 21 US troops had committed suicide inside a former Iraqi air force base 27 days ago, Fars News Agency reported on Monday.

According to the sources, the 21 troops were treated in a hospital but only five soldiers have survived and they are in a critical condition. Security officials said they used potent narcotics to kill themselves.

The troops' motivations for suicide are not known but according to Iraqi sources the servicemen belonged to the 57th Unit of the US Airborne Division that was behind the massacre of several Iraqi families-- mostly women and children-- in northern Baghdad, said Ali al-Baghdadi an Iraqi security official.

The suicides took place in the soldiers' dormitory after the dinner time.

"The bodies of the US troops became misshapen such a way that they looked like 5000-year mummies," said a witness.

According to Iraqi officials' estimates, some 600 US troops, including senior officers, have committed suicide in Iraq since the invasion of the country in 2003. Half of the suicide attempts have been successful.

Reactions: patriot

·
Registered
784 Posts
ok let me guess according to the us press they all were killed in combat or by IED's
iraqi security forces?
lets look at the source here????

my quick view of the sight said that it was a iranian news sight. so y would i believe them

·
Registered
435 Posts
I don't doubt that some of them kill themselves. I don't think its as many as they say. Unless people really are ******* now.

·
Wild Edibles Expert
10,167 Posts
Maybe they were all gay and it was a lovers' pact....

....which of course is nonsense, as is the story. Just another example of the sewage of the internet trying to look legitimate. I almost had to laugh at the silly last line, that 50 percent of the suicide attempts are successful. One would hope a combat soldier would have better aim.

·
Registered
1,231 Posts
I almost had to laugh at the silly last line, that 50 percent of the suicide attempts are successful. One would hope a combat soldier would have better aim.
Yes, one would hope that combat soldiers would be better at killing themselves. I think it's a point of national shame that more US soldiers aren't dead. Don't you?

·
Registered
372 Posts
Yes, one would hope that combat soldiers would be better at killing themselves. I think it's a point of national shame that more US soldiers aren't dead. Don't you?
:rolleyes:

Do you really think that is what he was saying or do you not see that he was using that line to show another reason why that article is bogus?

·
Registered
1,231 Posts
:rolleyes:

Do you really think that is what he was saying or do you not see that he was using that line to show another reason why that article is bogus?
Of course the article is bogus. Personally I don't find anything amusing about the number of soldiers that have successfully committed suicide or the number that haven't been successful. Several US soldiers in Iraq attempt suicide every day. That's hilarious.

·
I'll fix it
2,548 Posts
I really need to stop being so gullible, I felt so sad.
I better learn to be skeptical about everything now.

·
*** Forgives, I don't
1,369 Posts
What the hell do you mean by this? My Son is a Soldier as is my Son-in-Law. If you wish ill on the troops why don't you arrange a meeting with me and lets discuss it in person.:mad:

·
Registered
372 Posts
con·text (kntkst)
n.
1. The part of a text or statement that surrounds a particular word or passage and determines its meaning.
2. The circumstances in which an event occurs; a setting.

Lets put it back in!

·
Good Bye
1,808 Posts
Please tell my that you are joking, and in need of mental help. I really hope you do not mean that.

Please explain,

ZigMund

Reactions: Dwind

·
Registered
1,231 Posts
What the hell do you mean by this? My Son is a Soldier as is my Son-in-Law. If you wish ill on the troops why don't you arrange a meeting with me and lets discuss it in person.:mad:
I do NOT find the high level of suicide in the military funny at all. I thought Straight Razors comment

I almost had to laugh at the silly last line, that 50 percent of the suicide attempts are successful. One would hope a combat soldier would have better aim.
offensive. It's kind of ****ty to make light of these young men struggling to deal with a situation they can't deal with. Hoping they have better aim? That's what we need, more dead soldiers. :(

·
*** Forgives, I don't
1,369 Posts
Chris. I could tell straightrazor was being sarcastic. The point is, and you haven't answered me, is what YOU meant. I am serious about this. What the hell did you mean?

·
*** Forgives, I don't
1,369 Posts
Chris, I see you haven't served in the military. Your homepage is bogus also. I answered you here and sent you a PM, you too scared to reply to either so from this date on, for you, TSHF!

·
Registered
3,182 Posts
I don't know if the OP is fact based or not, but soldier suicides ARE on the rise.

http://www.cnn.com/2008/US/02/01/military.suicides/index.html
WASHINGTON (CNN) -- Every day, five U.S. soldiers try to kill themselves. Before the Iraq war began, that figure was less than one suicide attempt a day.

The dramatic increase is revealed in new U.S. Army figures, which show 2,100 soldiers tried to commit suicide in 2007.

"Suicide attempts are rising and have risen over the last five years," said Col. Elspeth Cameron-Ritchie, an Army psychiatrist.

Concern over the rate of suicide attempts prompted Sen. Jim Webb, D-Virginia, to introduce legislation Thursday to improve the military's suicide-prevention programs.

"Our troops and their families are under unprecedented levels of stress due to the pace and frequency of more than five years of deployments," Webb said in a written statement.

1 - 20 of 37 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.