Survivalist Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
522 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This morning there were a multiple indicators that the economy is underperforming -

The Empire State Index is negative for a 3rd straight month.

The "Home Builder Index" was again bad

Treasurys are weak

The Dollar is down

Foreign demand for treasurys are down

But yet the markets are up, at this writing the Dow is up 149 pts. What gives, or is there no correlation between economic developments and the markets? Please shed some light on this!

·
Prepared
15,924 Posts
Many of the Fortune-500 and probably all of the Dow-30 are heavily off-shored, and have large amounts of foreign investment capital also. There is very little correlation between the markets and day-to-day lives of ordinary people. In fact, there may even be negative correlation. High prices at the gas pump might help Exxon stock, but it won't help your pocketbook.

·
Registered
10,306 Posts
This morning there were a multiple indicators that the economy is underperforming -

Treasurys are weak

The Dollar is down

But yet the markets are up, at this writing the Dow is up 149 pts. What gives, or is there no correlation between economic developments and the markets? Please shed some light on this!
Magic. Please not those behind the curtain.

·
Registered
3,019 Posts
The stock market is not a one-to-one measure of economic stability. The stock market moves for many reasons, and quite often diverges from common sense. This is because it isn't common sense.

You have millions of people all playing against each other, which means you have just as many different strategies. Some buy on events (something big happens). Some buy on the rumor of something big and sell on the event. Some buy when others are selling. Some buy when others are buying.

There are just too many things going on in the market to try and use it as a regular meter of daily economic stability. The news tries to say stuff like "Markets up today because of XYZ", but really, most of the time the news has no idea why the markets are up or down. Correlation != Causation. Markets move for lots of reasons.

·
Registered
1,106 Posts

Treasurys are weak

The Dollar is down

Wall St lives in it's OWN special World (run by high speed computers) things are falling apart in many parts of the USA's real economy and else where in the World.. those things matter little to the traders on the street! :upsidedown::eek:::mad:

·
... --- ...
14,874 Posts
Someone should go tell those investment bankers,analyst,and money managers that the "experts" on SB know more than they do?

YEAH,right on !!!!! And someone also needs to go tell the President, and the Senate, and the House of Representatives, and the Supreme Court, and the Federal Reserve, and the FBI,and the IRS, etc.etc.etc. because all of those guys have been doing SUCH a fabulous job of GETTING IT RIGHT !!! :xeye:

·
Banned
930 Posts
Trust me mil, whatever bob says is right, don't make him tell you about all the stuff he owns, and his retirement account.

Oh also if you don't agree with him, you must be poor, have no retirement and don't know what work is.

·
Free Your Mind
982 Posts
The stock market is not a one-to-one measure of economic stability. The stock market moves for many reasons, and quite often diverges from common sense. This is because it isn't common sense.

You have millions of people all playing against each other, which means you have just as many different strategies. Some buy on events (something big happens). Some buy on the rumor of something big and sell on the event. Some buy when others are selling. Some buy when others are buying.

There are just too many things going on in the market to try and use it as a regular meter of daily economic stability. The news tries to say stuff like "Markets up today because of XYZ", but really, most of the time the news has no idea why the markets are up or down. Correlation != Causation. Markets move for lots of reasons.
Most of the "millions of investors" are locked into 401ks or IRAs that are managed by various financial institutions. NOT the individual investor, which is "chump change" in the overall picture. The markets are under the influence of corporate, bankster, and government computer trades.

·
Registered
1,532 Posts
Keeping the stock and bond market floating keeps all the workers at their desk.
They are all completely invested in their 401Ks and IRAs.

If it goes down, the revolt begins.

·
Registered
1,532 Posts
Someone should go tell those investment bankers,analyst,and money managers that the "experts" on SB know more than they do?
Since the last meltdown in 2008, the majority of those investment bankers, analyst and money managers don't have jobs anymore.

Recently, the big banks announced the firing of over 60,000 workers globally.

So much for inferred faith in large financial institutions.

·
Prepared Firebird
3,842 Posts

Treasurys are weak

The Dollar is down

Do you need any MORE proof that the markets are being manipulated, than this????

·
Registered
248 Posts
It's been recently discussed that a better economic indicator to watch is the dollar index. As it approaches 70 to 72, your warning bells should be going off. Above 74, and the games is still being played. The lowest intraday index that I can find was 71.19 on August 22, 2008. It has been said that this number is less manipulated than the DOW. While I believe this to be true, it doesn't mean that it isn't manipulated at all. It may be my tin foil hat, but it seems that a Euro crisis always comes around when the index gets below 74 and bumps the index back up. So there's room for manipulation in that regard but that would have to be a pretty big organization to orchestrate that kind of activity.

·
Registered
10,306 Posts
It's been recently discussed that a better economic indicator to watch is the dollar index. As it approaches 70 to 72, your warning bells should be going off. Above 74, and the games is still being played. The lowest intraday index that I can find was 71.19 on August 22, 2008. It has been said that this number is less manipulated than the DOW. While I believe this to be true, it doesn't mean that it isn't manipulated at all. It may be my tin foil hat, but it seems that a Euro crisis always comes around when the index gets below 74 and bumps the index back up. So there's room for manipulation in that regard but that would have to be a pretty big organization to orchestrate that kind of activity.
I suspect you have a good read on the idea of a Euro crisis every time the $ drops below 74. I have been paying special attention to the dollar and watched it move without reason in regards to the economic factors. I do believe the organization in charge has the power to do this at their whim.

·
Registered
248 Posts
I suspect you have a good read on the idea of a Euro crisis every time the $ drops below 74. I have been paying special attention to the dollar and watched it move without reason in regards to the economic factors. I do believe the organization in charge has the power to do this at their whim.
I don't know if it's a good read or just coincidence. If it is organizational then we are dealing with something out of our our control and probably out of our guv's control too. Assuming that they're controlling the DOW and the dollar index, I would imagine that a doomsday scenario would more likely be triggered by a mushroom cloud some where (say Israel) than an economic collapse. They've demonstrated that they're good at keeping it between the ditches (so far...). If you've read my post, you know I'm a believer in prophecy so some of what we're seeing is baked in the cake (IMHO) and it will most likely get worse from here.:eek:

I would like to think that the Index and DOW's manipulation is just honest efforts by good and decent people trying to keep the economy going. But that idea has been looking more and more naive since I woke up last year.:rolleyes:

1 - 20 of 21 Posts