I went hunting up in Virginia past weekend and took my 6 shooter .22

pistol, and heard many a coyotes up there. It kinda startled me because I am

pretty sure that gun and the marlin .22 I had would not protect me from rabid

coyotes. I am 15 years old, and of course do not have a job nor any huge

way of making money, but was wondering would it be smart to upgrade to a

9mm? I would use it mainly for just home defense, and the hunting trips. We

are starting to have an over population where I live, so that could be good

when I go outside to hunt. I would probably not use this gun all that much

though other than for hunting and basic survival out hiking/personal defense.

Should I buy, or should I not buy? All replies are greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
345 Posts
In most states there are legal problems involved with having possession of a handgun and being under 21. While you might be able to talk your way out of trouble with a Single Six, a 9mm would probably quickly get you in a lot of hot water; especially if you are a resident of another state.

Defense shooting is a short range event; say 15 - 20 yards max. You should be able to land a head shot with your Marlin at that distance and take care of the issue. If not, you need more practice, not a bigger gun.

·
Registered
801 Posts
Private sale berreta 92 FS pre-ban with 15 round mags; expect to spend 4-5 hundred bucks. I know it is alot for a young man to save up but I'm certain you are an industrious type who will be more than able to donate your back to the cause. Ammos is $20/100 at Wallyworld.

Freinds, Neighbors, Relatives, School teachers all have chores they might need help with; let them know you are available... this is how I earned my first autoloader shotgun when I was your age.

·
Banned
326 Posts
Agreed, the legality issue of carying a pistol under age could be a tricky one, especially depending on who you run into LEO wise. Highlander has the right idea, go cut some lawns or bag groceries and pick yourself up a 12 ga if you want a good home defence weapon. I also think the 30/30 would suit you well for your hunting/defence needs wile out and roughing it. You can preety much pick off anything whitetale size and smaller. Good luck in your decision.

·
Happiness is 2 at low 8
1,403 Posts
If you're concerned about the coyotes, your Marlin .22 will be adequate as long as you do your part. First the coyotes are cowards. It's unlikely they'll come after YOU. Second if you see them and take a couple shots the noise will likely scare them off. If they persist a couple well placed shots will put them down. The guys who slaughter cattle use a .22 to put down beef cattle so your coyote doesn't have a chance as long as you make a killing shot (head or heart/lung).

Allan -- regarding the .22 vs 9mm thing on an animal the size of a coyote any shot with the 22 will be nearly as effective as a shot with the 9mm. Spend you money on more .22 ammo.

·
One decade later...
221 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
thanks for all the replies, in considerance of the 30/30, 30-06, and shotgun.

I already have 2 shotguns, a 12 guage 870 pump, and a 20 guage single shot.

I also already have a .270 remmington, I am just in the market for a pistol if

anything, but from the sounds of it... I already have everything I need,

thanks again for the replies.

·
Registered
126 Posts
thanks for all the replies, in considerance of the 30/30, 30-06, and shotgun.

I already have 2 shotguns, a 12 guage 870 pump, and a 20 guage single shot.

I also already have a .270 remmington, I am just in the market for a pistol if

anything, but from the sounds of it... I already have everything I need,

thanks again for the replies.
I think you hit it right on the head... you already have what you need... I would work on proficiency with what you have and follow Highlanders advice and earn some $ so you can stock up ammo for the weapons you will be using.

Good luck

·
Sugar-free
4,184 Posts
I have taken coyote with a 9mm. It does the job, at close range where you can actually hit the yote. Far better would be the 870 you already have with some #4 or OO Buck. These will do anything a 9 will do at pistol range. Only they'll do it better. OO Buck will dump a coyote hard out to 25 yards. They even make a shell called "Dead Coyote" that will supposedly kill at 40 yards. That's gettin out there for a shotgun!

·
Behind Enemy Lines
776 Posts
What if hes home alone?
Then what? ;)

I would go for a shotgun, as some others have said.
You really dont need a pistol with you at all times. At 15, you'll be at school or the mall..am I right?

Not to mention shotguns have a multi purpose and the shells have such a big variety.

·
Why do you ask? 2 Dogs!
14,148 Posts
In all my 52 years living and hunting in Texas

I've never been attacked by a coyote and I've given them plenty of reason too!

It's been my experience that they won't mess with you until after you're dead!

I would be more concerned about the critters that can walk on 2 legs....:D:

FWIW

1 - 20 of 38 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.