Survivalist Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
143 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Lowes is going to have on sale, (for Black Friday) a Westinghouse 12500 (max) watt dual fuel generator for an excellent price,(about $800) I power my small house with a westing house 9500 watt dual fuel. It’s been a great generator. I just thought I’d pass that info along if anyone was looking for a big genset for a very good price. I actually payed a little more for my smaller one.

·
reluctant sinner
21,860 Posts
My neighbor is up grading to a 14.5 kW duel fuel. He said to haul off the low hours electric start 5500W gasoline unit.

It need a new battery. I wouldn't even consider it except for the electric start and the price.

·
Registered
525 Posts
Lowes is going to have on sale, (for Black Friday) a Westinghouse 12500 (max) watt dual fuel generator for an excellent price,(about $800) I power my small house with a westing house 9500 watt dual fuel. It’s been a great generator. I just thought I’d pass that info along if anyone was looking for a big genset for a very good price. I actually payed a little more for my smaller one.
Just got one about four months back and quite pleased with it. That’s a killer price.

·
Registered
3,696 Posts
That's a lot of generator at a great price and is tempting but I just don't need to run that much at once.

I have a 6000w (5000 running). It is big enough to selectively run anything we need. When o hook it to my panel I can use it to heat the 50gal water heater (4500w). Then turn the water heater breaker off and the well pump breaker on. Voila! A couple hot showers. I have done it and it works fine.

For other stuff like periodically poering freezers/fridge,lights, power tools, communications, etc., I will probably opt to use one of my much more fuel efficient quiet 2000w inverter generators.

For max fuel efficiency during times of perhaps scarce availability, I prefer the flexibility of multiple smaller generators to one honking big one.

But, that all costs more than $800 so if you don't have any generator yet, this may be the way go.

Sent from my SM-S906U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
3,824 Posts
I hope anyone looking to run a generator that large looks up the fuel burn rate. This is not a generator your going to run for even half a day on a 20lb propane tank. Your really looking at needing multiple 100lbs tanks or a stationary tank.

·
Registered
2,956 Posts
That's a lot of generator for the money. I'd also be concerned about how much fuel it would be using but hey, a person has to look at their own needs, not what we observers from a distance think we see from a forum post. ;)

·
Registered
31 Posts
I would advise that if you really need a genset that large that you consider the hardwired stand by power nonportable type with a bulk fuel tank.

Just think about the cord required to pass that kind of wattage into your home. It will be like a gasoline pump hose.

And no, a huge genset under light load is not more fuel efficient than a small generator making the same watts under a heavy load. Gensets like to be loaded.

·
Registered
525 Posts
I went with that model as I have a deep well, two furnaces, two chest freezers, fridge and septic pump that I consider mission critical. Odds of running all at the same time are slim, but I’d rather be over capacity than under. I also have a igen2500 from Westinghouse for smaller usage.

·
Registered
337 Posts
Westinghouse is absolute junk anymore.I purchased a 6500 dual fuel a year ago and everytime I went to use it something would go wrong.it went in for repairs 4 times in 6 months .the only reason it took 6 months for it to break 4 times is because it always took 4-6 weeks for repairs.Westinghouse said the would repair it again but I finally gave up and pitched it in the junk pile.I really can't stand unreliable junk,I would never spend a Nickle on anything westinghouse again after wasting that 800 bucks

1 - 15 of 15 Posts