Survivalist Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am starting my food storage. I have a decent amount of canned vegetables. H2O is accounted for as is ammo. I plan on bugging in. I have $125 in Wal-MArt gift cards. What items should I buy to start my food storage. Canned meat/protein? Chili, soups, fruits, peanut butter? I have a list of items for one year, but I need to know where is the most important place to start. Or is just starting anywhere just as good. Advice from the experienced needed. Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
1,859 Posts
I am starting my food storage. I have a decent amount of canned vegetables. H2O is accounted for as is ammo. I plan on bugging in. I have $125 in Wal-MArt gift cards. What items should I buy to start my food storage. Canned meat/protein? Chili, soups, fruits, peanut butter? I have a list of items for one year, but I need to know where is the most important place to start. Or is just starting anywhere just as good. Advice from the experienced needed. Thanks in advance.
There's a lot you can buy but the hookers who stand outside of Walmart don't accept gift cards lol :)

·
Forum Administrator
16,782 Posts
Peanut butter
Honey
Rice and beans + mylar bags + oxygen absorbers = 20 year storage

Some wal-marts have water filter sports bottles, one of those might be worth considering

·
Registered
329 Posts
first of all: Water. I know you said you have that taken care of, but you can never have too much water. 1 gallon per person per day to drink. that doesn't count water you will need to cook or clean with.

beans. they are a so called "super food" lots of protein, carbs, vitamins and minerals.

if you're going to get canned meats it's probably better to stay away from spam and vienna sausages. yes, they can be yummy, but they are also incredibly salty and aren't truly good nutrition. I'd stick with tuna, chicken, or salmon.

dry milk
peanut butter
pasta
dehydrated soup mixes
energy bars (to put in your pack when you venture out)
salt
white sugar
honey
unsalted nuts
hard candy
instant coffee
tea
white vinegar
oatmeal

most foods will last well past the expiration date when stored properly in a cool, dry place.

To get the most out of your preps I suggest sealing food in mylar bags.

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I am prepping for two adults and three children. As to what am I prepping for, breakdown in society, roaming masses of vandals, solar flares, anything that will cause a shortage of food and supplies.

My water situation: Spring fed pond, windmill, sandpoint and pitcher pump and a flowing river nearby.

·
Registered
2,087 Posts
Ok the details help.

I would get your water situation beefed up with stored water in your home for at least two (2) weeks. Then, I would get an assortment of no-cook or low-cook foods as listed above. Once you have your two week supply of water and food, I would look into medical/first aid supplies with any leftover funds.

·
Registered
1,970 Posts
I am prepping for two adults and three children. As to what am I prepping for, breakdown in society, roaming masses of vandals, solar flares, anything that will cause a shortage of food and supplies.

My water situation: Spring fed pond, windmill, sandpoint and pitcher pump and a flowing river nearby.
I always browse the ammo section. At the least, I pick up $20 worth of .22 ammo. But you said you are good there... are you though?

Do you have tarps, Walmart has them cheap.

Beans are good as suggested. Food has been addressed pretty well.

Fishing gear? Some line and hooks/lures can make that stream a food source.

Toilet paper, how much do you have?

·
Registered
426 Posts
Look to see if they have the 10# bags of Quinoa. A FAR better nutritional source than rice, and can subsitute into any dish you you'd use rice for. Also, it takes lower cooking time.

Speaking of cooking, how are you for propane and stoves/grills? Propane can provide, light, heat, cooking and even vehicle fuel if you'r crafty :thumb:

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Ruger 10/22, bull barrel .22lr - 5500 rounds
Remington r-15 .223 - 2000 rounds

As to do I have enough ammo, i do not know. How much is enough. All cartridges are brass which is re loadable. I have components to reload around 1000 more rounds. I always am asking myself if I need additional ammo.

As to cooking, I have a 500 gallon propane tank, a propane stove in the house, numerous 5 gallon propane tanks, a propane burner, another 500 gallon propane tank with a wet line, a fire pit, a fire pit cooking grate and a whole grove of locust trees. I have lots of cast iron skillets and a 12 inch dutch oven. I want to get several other dutch ovens.

I will compile all the information posted and make a Wally world run.

·
Registered
1,738 Posts
You're way ahead of many of us! At Wally World, you might look for simple food that can be prepared with boiling water or eaten "as is" -- granola and cereal bars, Bear Creek soup mixes, etc. Instant potatoes. Canned soup is mostly water, you'd be better off buying the ingredients. Oats, grits, cream of wheat. Sugar and salt. If you're buying for kids, get stuff they already like. Little kids will be stressed enough without being made to eat strange food.

·
Registered
235 Posts
Just starting with food storage, get stuff you will normally eat and is familiar to your family. Get the peanut butter, canned chili and stew, the soup, some canned fruit, nuts, granola bars, powdered milk, pancake mix, honey/syrup, mac and cheese, canned pasta---stuff that is easy to cook. Spend about $100 on food.

Take the other $25 and get some toilet paper, some bleach, extra dish soap, some extra vitamins, a bottle of generic tylenol, an extra bar or two of soap, and some bandaids.

If you could scrape up a few more bucks on your own, get some candles and some lighters, and some flashlights with extra batteries (don't forget to get some for the kids too).

·
Banned
1,470 Posts
Walmart has the best price on pintos around here...even beats sam's. Just be sure to freeze them whether long term storage or short. The last 20 lbs I bought went into 2 long term mylars and a short term gallon jar. I forgot to freeze everything and today I threw out the pintos in the gallon jar because of weavels.

·
ozarks hillbilly
749 Posts
I would pick up one of the coleman dual fuel stoves to start, from there maybe some tools, food, etc.... I have the dual fuel stoves in both one and two burner models and love them.

other options would be:
rope
game cameras
misc. hardware
ammo
cheap gun
various knives
walmart is full of survival stuff if you look around

·
Registered
103 Posts
whatever you do, remember that variety is almost as important as quantity- appetite fatique can be deadly if you don't want to eat. good luck.

·
survivalist
2,462 Posts
A lot of good ideas already listed. You may want to check out some of the cheap oil lanterns.4-5 bucks and they work fairly well.Another thing to look at are the knives.Not just in the sporting goods section, but the house ware section. There are some really good quality chef's blades at our local wally world.

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I am lucky. Both my grandads were butchers. I inherited all their cutlery. I have two oil wick lamps. I do need additional wicks and about 10 bottles of oil. Thanks for the reminder!

1 - 20 of 20 Posts