Survivalist Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
F.O.S. like everyone else
634 Posts
That's a sad event, and there weren't many details, due to the investigation. I'm guessing there wasn't enough experience with firearms involving the boy. I grew up around guns, and my dad wasn't afraid to show me the guns, take me to shoot them, and tell me where they were, where the ammo was, ect. Growing up, it was just a common thing, and I wasn't "curious" enough to go digging because he would take me to shoot whenever I wanted. Because we were around firearms and had access to them, even when we got in fights (me and my brother, or with friends) we didn't run up to find a gun. We knew them, learned how to use them, and knew what they would do and the consequences.

Education and experience is the key to safety. Avoiding teaching children about them gives way to curiosity caused by TV and movies and games. Guns seem fun because you can shoot people in a game, and just restart.

·
A Way of Life
1,348 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Great points. We don't know the exact circumstances of this event, but Kirkland is a relatively dense city and very family oriented. It's not a "gun town" by any stretch.

There's really only two options when dealing with guns and children:

1. Like you mentioned, teach the children firearm responsibility and shoot with them often. This takes away the mystery and "excitement" of holding a firearm.

2. Or, keep all guns locked in a safe except when necessary.

Bottom line, however, is when one lives in a free society, accidents like this will occasionally happen. Tragic, but true.

·
Registered
140 Posts
There was an 15-year-old who died here in Maryland from an accident like this.
An 11 year old got a family's members' gun (details are still sketchy) and shot the 15 year old in the face.
Sad.

·
Garbage Collector
11,363 Posts
Hold the parents responsible, it is already illegal to leave firearms where minors have access to them.

What a waste of life.

I shoot with my kids, even my 5 year old daughter has fired the M4, and my 10/22, they know they can see them anytime they want just ask me.

·
A Way of Life
1,348 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Hold the parents responsible, it is already illegal to leave firearms where minors have access to them.
I'll be very interested to learn more about the specifics and consequences. I'm torn here between enforcing the law (if warranted) and knowing that the loss of a child is the harshest punishment a parent can face. One has to ask what the point of a prison sentence would be in this case.

·
Registered
805 Posts
I was shooting AKs and ARs by the time i was 4 or 5, knowledge is always better than curiosity. My father kept the gun cabinets locked when he was at work but there was also boltcutters and I knew how to use them. I had pretty much the understanding that if the lock was damaged and there wasn't some idiot in the house dead, I would be in trouble.

·
Registered
1,558 Posts
Incredibly sad. I know of two people here where I live who have lost a child to an accidental gunshot when the child found a unsecured, loaded handgun. Ironically, in both cases the gun in question was the duty weapon of a police officer.:eek:

·
Bleach blonde on fire :p
6,173 Posts
gun proof the child, because there is no way to child proof the gun
Exactly my kiddos were gun proofed and my guns are left in the open loaded....there is no mystery to them as they use them and understand what happens when they go off....my daughter is 11 and son is 14....teach a child to respect a weapon and you will have no problem....lock them away and do nothing and there will always be that nagging little voice that says touch me....................:mad:

·
I hate everyone equally !
1,291 Posts
When i was a kid i " Borrowed " a mauser in caliber 6.5x55 without my fathers permission and when he found out he took me to the range and forced me to shoot it until the rifle beat the cr*p out of me ( That " cured " me from rifles for a verry long time )

·
Registered
2,688 Posts
That's a sad event, and there weren't many details, due to the investigation. I'm guessing there wasn't enough experience with firearms involving the boy. I grew up around guns, and my dad wasn't afraid to show me the guns, take me to shoot them, and tell me where they were, where the ammo was, ect. Growing up, it was just a common thing, and I wasn't "curious" enough to go digging because he would take me to shoot whenever I wanted. Because we were around firearms and had access to them, even when we got in fights (me and my brother, or with friends) we didn't run up to find a gun. We knew them, learned how to use them, and knew what they would do and the consequences.

Education and experience is the key to safety. Avoiding teaching children about them gives way to curiosity caused by TV and movies and games. Guns seem fun because you can shoot people in a game, and just restart.
Pretty much the way I feel about it. Don't try to kid-proof your guns, gun-proof your kids.

A very sad story. My condolences to the family.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts