Survivalist Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Capability, not scenarios
12,541 Posts

·
Y2K Veteran
274 Posts
I use Amsoil Gasoline Stabilizer, used up 20 gallons this summer that I had stored for 2 years. No this was NON-ETHANOL gas. We got NEW PROBLEMS with the ethanol that has to be treated separately with an additive specifically designed for this. This is because the ethanol will separate out from the gas over time and that is where your octane is nowadays. So, your 87 octane gas might become 82 octane over time.

I've heard a lot of good things about Pri-G, both for gas and diesel storage...

·
Anti-Progressive
181 Posts
12 months with a double dose of Sta-bil is as long as I'll go. Don't even want to take a chance with engine troubles.

I empty the genny and pour all stored gas into my pickup and refill.

I'm thinking about doing a bi-fuel propane conversion for Genny with a small solar backup system. Already have 500W worth of panels I got for $20 bucks!

·
Premium Member
68,758 Posts
Pri-G is more effective than Stabil and lasts longer. You can also retreat with it several times. It's just a pain in the butt to find. I can never find it locally, although Stabil is everywhere I look. But either one will preserve gas.

Personally, I just went with diesel. It makes more sense and stores a lot longer.

·
Geronimo!
4,053 Posts
I'm amazed at the number of people that don't know that gas degrades.
You'll find that most of us around here have discussed this ad nauseam - countless times. Just take a moment and search the forums. But it has become much more of an issue with the ethanol polluted product in most pumps these days and it is worth noting.

I too prefer either of the other products, other than Stabil, if they are available.

I've not yet decided if long periods of heat or long periods of cold deteriorate gas faster .... but MikeK is correct, diesel solves the problem, as does propane.

Reactions: MikeK

·
... --- ...
14,874 Posts

·
Registered
467 Posts
I have a genny that is used to power the home in power outage times . The fuel in the tank is almost five years old and has been treated with PRI-G. I tested the generator last weekend and it started up on the second pull,smoked a bit then settled into a normal run. Tractor Supply stocks it and a lot of lawn maitainance supply stores. I bought my first quart on line then have found it elsewhere.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.