Survivalist Forum banner

1 - 20 of 45 Posts

·
Registered
9,478 Posts
I have *several* of the ones that are made from hand grenade tops and loaded with shotgun primers. They work well and are cheap enough to set up a full perimeter with. I place them inside steel cans to protect them from the weather and the stop the primer hitting anyone who sets them off on accident. (The primer gets fired out of them when the go off, hard enough to go through a pop can at close range)

·
Registered
675 Posts
I had a couple of the shotgun primer types (a simpler design than in the video)
Never used them ...I'll have to do some digging ,,be fun to test them out.

·
Museum Piece
312 Posts
Heck yeah, we makem.
I have 4 deployed on the back 40 right now. First I used loaded number 8 dove shot. It blow a racoon in half. So then we tired 3 inch dog training black. Poor possum never knew what hit it. So we made made some one inchers :-(
One went off at 3am this morning. By the time the 357 mag got outside tail lights are all I saw. Dang thing didnt even burn the tree it was hooked to.

Such is my forum name. We would LRRP deep into the black and set them up all over the place. Those had grenades hooked to them. Even taught the class CONUS.

·
Registered
530 Posts
The deer around here would set them off on a regular basis. Useless to use if you have larger animals in the area.

Instead we use infrared driveway alarms with rechargeable batteries with the furthest one about 160 yds from the house. And instead of having to use two secure points of attachment you only need a single attachment point.

We can tell which one was tripped by the number of BINGS the monitor in the house bings. They pick up a 50 lb dog at about 30' so wide enough to cover a 2 lane road. We set them about 5' off the ground to minimize dogs, hogs, and deer setting them off.

Just for fun I tested them out on the road and assuming a good "line of sight" I've seen them pick up people 280 yds from the house walking down the road so they can be moved further out. You may need to dissemble the unit and put the antenna outside the house to reliably get that type of distance. The sensor batteries are good for over 3 months and as I already mentioned are rechargeable using our solar battery chargers. The base unit can run for 12 hrs on a 9v battery but playing around I've learned that it can also be run off a 12v car battery for over a month. Yep, I can also charge 12v batteries using solar. But if the car is covered with snow the sensor may not pick it up.
Chamberlain driveway sensor Amazon.com

·
Registered
3,027 Posts
It is somewhat common here for people to build something similar to that and attach it to their fishing line in winter. When it goes off it let's you know even several hundred feet away in the shack. I think they are called clappers. I dont see why they wouldn't work as an alarm as well.

·
Registered
9,478 Posts
The deer around here would set them off on a regular basis. Useless to use if you have larger animals in the area.

Instead we use infrared driveway alarms with rechargeable batteries with the furthest one about 160 yds from the house. And instead of having to use two secure points of attachment you only need a single attachment point.
I do the same, although the model of alarm I have must be different as it has a 1/4 mile range and the base unit uses AA's and will run for about a week of battery power alone.

I use the grenade poppers on the top the garden perimeter for anything trying to crawl over, the rest are stockpiled ready to got for SHTF but I would be always resetting them right now if I had them up.

·
Registered
4,516 Posts
Wouldn't any 12 guage shotgun chamber cartridge adapter fit in them. :taped:

....because it would be nice to be able to use many different types of blanks! (edit)

·
Registered
21,768 Posts
what legally distinguishes (generally speaking, i am sure laws vary by locale) a perimeter alarm from a booby trap?

is it purely intent? or do some elements of design matter? it looks like for instance the designs shared do not have a chamber, meaning the shot inside (even if there were shot inside) would not be accelerated to a lethal velocity i would think. is that the big difference?

·
Registered
3,027 Posts
what legally distinguishes (generally speaking, i am sure laws vary by locale) a perimeter alarm from a booby trap?

is it purely intent? or do some elements of design matter? it looks like for instance the designs shared do not have a chamber, meaning the shot inside (even if there were shot inside) would not be accelerated to a lethal velocity i would think. is that the big difference?
I think a big difference would be not having any shot at all, possibly not even a plastic wad.

If you hurt someone with one of these I would imagine it take a good lawyer($$$$) on your side to have a chance of it mattering that it was intended to be an alarm rather than a trap.

·
Registered
21,768 Posts
I think a big difference would be not having any shot at all, possibly not even a plastic wad.

If you hurt someone with one of these I would imagine it take a good lawyer($$$$) on your side to have a chance of it mattering that it was intended to be an alarm rather than a trap.
just as well, it would be cheaper to hand-load something that was just primer, shell, and powder.

1 - 20 of 45 Posts