Survivalist Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
ROLL TIDE
224 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Would it be best to stock up on target rounds because of the cheaper price tag or to pay more for the quality of a 00 buckshot?

Are target rounds even effective for any type of hunting or self defense?

·
96 Posts
As with many things the answer is it depends.

Do you only plan to hunt in the future?

Do you plan to have it for self/home defense?

·
ROLL TIDE
224 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Well I plan to have it for home defense primarily with a small potential for hunting. I also do own some buckshot and some slugs but did not know how useful the target rounds could be. They are so much cheaper than the other types of ammo and if they could be effective then would have a nice supply of that as well... Never really had the opportunity to test out all of the applications.

·
Registered
215 Posts
For home defense, slugs are seldom needed. Buck shot is the BEST choice for that purpose. For self defense _outside_ the home, ad for hunting medium size game, slugs give you a 45-60 yard range with a regular barrel, a bit more if it is rifle sighted, and perhaps 100 yards if you get a rifled slug barrel.
The bird shot bulk packs from China mart are good for small game hunting -rabbit, squirrel, birds, etc. They are also good for practice with your shotgun, which is always a good idea.
My suggested mix: 100 birdshot, 25 buckshot, 10 slugs. Increase in proportion as you can afford it.

·
Registered
18,814 Posts
I recommend the same, but 300 assorted birdshot, 50 buckshot and 10 to 20 rifled slugs. If Obama gets his way you have sufficient ammo for target practice for a while and saved a little money on his 500% tax increase. At 10 feet with #6 to #8 shot my 12 ga with a 20" barrel has a 3 to 5 inch shot pattern which would most likely stop the average size man in his right mind. I still load my gun with one BB first followed by six 00 buck, followed by a rifled slug. Some one on this sight had a good saying--- birdshot for the birds, buckshot for the buck and a slug for the thug. Hopefully I will never have the experience of having used a slug on a fellow human, but this does not mean I would not use deadly force to protect my family. I would in a heart beat

·
Registered
2,116 Posts
Buck is worthless for any reasonable distance, even with something like a pattermaster choke it's only effective out to 50ish yards, not reasonable outdoor disntance in my book. Don't forget also that the round shape is inherently bad for penetration at longer distances, besides the fact it runs out of steam rather quickly. Don't believe that 00buck is an end all be all to a combat shotgun round, it's not buck that makes the shotgun great, but the ability to shoot buck, slug, bird, or non leathal rounds all in the same package.

I think people here are WAY to low on slugs. Slugs when practiced right can be effective out to 85 yards possibly, or at least much farther than buck (i'm pretty good out to 70 with bead sights). Also, it's penetration in much greater, and they could be used on armored oppenats and bullet proof glass.

Does not anyone remember Mercop's thread about buck not penetrating very thick clothing? I personally refuse to rely on buck alone if the poop hits the fan, and 20 slugs won't be enough. My ratio of slugs to buck is pretty even.

About the bird shot, some ammo is better than none, but it at all possible I would not rely on it to save my life, or end someone elses. Don't get me wrong, it's better than a stick or knife. However, I would say that those packs are great for stocking up on hunting ammo. I'd go with he Federal or Remington value packs, and steer WAY clear of the Winchester bulk packs. The Winchester tend to budgle and have cheaper wads and softer lead. This is from buying all three and using them for shoots.

Since you're at wall mart, May I suggest picking up a couple of 15 round value packs of rifled slugs ,and a few 15 packs of Remington 00 buck.

·
ROLL TIDE
224 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I like the idea of having the variety. That is precisely why the shotgun is awesome. My brother has it a step further with his Taurus judge. nothing like a handgun that either shoots .45 or 4/10 shot shells.

·
Registered
8,228 Posts
personelly i look at a shotgun in 3 ways #1 home def its the ultimate def., #2 use it for turkey,duck,pheasant or any other bird you wish to hunt.# 3 hunting deer if in thick short range woods.buy ammo according to those needs :thumb:
use a rifle for boar/deer or bigger, use a air rifle or .22 for rabbit and squirrel

·
Suspect Everyone
225 Posts
theboxotruth.com has some excellent tests run with buck and birdshot...i know for the .410 anyway. for my money, i am going with the 00 buck. true, birdshot is really cheap, and i agree to use it for hunting small game, and i am sure a shot of it will stop someone for a bit, but with some of the deals you can get on 00 buck, i have to go with it. i just bought 250 rds. of federal LE 00 buck for $125. sure, it is about $50-60 more than birdshot, but the peace of mind is worth it. seriously though, check out the site i mentioned. good info.

·
Registered
7,224 Posts
Agreed.
Flechettes are boutique ammo that was more of an experiment that didn't quite pan out than anything you might wanna use in the here and now.
As stated, the liability would be horrendous even in a indisputable case of self defense a sly DA could easily turn it into premeditated murder.

Lotsa buck.
Lotsa slugs.
At least a good amount of game loads for hunting.
For what it's worth game loads are NOT for self defense.
They may work in a pinch but why chance it?

·
Registered
5,161 Posts
Would it be best to stock up on target rounds because of the cheaper price tag or to pay more for the quality of a 00 buckshot?

Are target rounds even effective for any type of hunting or self defense?
Buckshot get #4 Buckshot 27 pellets (Crowd pleasure),#00 Buckshot 9 pellets or 15 pellet for 3''shell and then the good old Slug (1oz of lead). Shotshells target loads (#7-8) can bring down doves or take quail also buy #4 Birdshot Hi-Base for rabbit or even ducks.

Getting hit by 2 rounds of #4 birdshot at 20 feet will mess that persons day up for a long time if he lives.
Imho: 20 rds of #4 Buckshot
20 rds of #00 Buckshot
20 rds of 1 oz Sugs
50 #8 target loads
50 #4 Hi-Base (Duck/Rabbit)
12 ga shotgun 00 buckshot vs Cantaloupe by fblecha -- Revver Online Video Sharing Network

·
Suspect Everyone
225 Posts
Out of it right now

TrustNoOne,

If you don't mind me asking, where did you find such a good deal on Federal LE OO buck? Thanks
I found it at Ammunitiontogo.com

They are simply the best all around ammo site I have found so far. Right now, they are out of the federal...i think i might have gotten the last case....but they have a NobelSport LE 00 buck (??) for $145 per 250 rds. Might be good. They carry a Rio Royal brand for $125, but the reviews I have found on it are not good. Also, floridagunworks.com used to have 00 buck Wolf brand for $99 per 250, but they are apparently out as well. I knew I should have bought it when I saw it, but I had just bought the federal and I wanted to buy some different calibers. Dang Obama is messin up my timetable on an ammo cache!

1 - 18 of 18 Posts