Survivalist Forum banner

1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
11B20 - Status Inactive
5,036 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
With out turning this into a what may happen thread I have began to think that even without anything happening there will still be social unrest. I haven't seen any polls that show the amount of people that actually believe that TEOTWAWKI will happen on that date but I am sure there are more than a few that do.

More realistically I think we can expect to see some form of hysteria take place. Of course there will be people that will take advantage of the situation as we have seen in New Orleans, LA Riots etc.

With that in mind I have began to wonder if this should be something to prepare for. After discussing with my wife I am thinking a nice vacation out to the woods may be in order for a few days prior to a few days after till the hysteria blows over. We keep our cabin stocked with water/food good enough for a reasonable amount of time. There is nothing in my home that I can't take with me that is of any value so defending my homestead is of little concern.

Has anyone else given any serious thought to preparing for this?

I figure while everyone else is having an EOTW party I will be sitting in the cabin with an AK close by ;)

Thoughts?

·
I ain't doing that!!
6,756 Posts
Thought about it. Don't really have a firm date, but am pretty sure things are gonna get a lot worse before they get better. Just take it a day at a time. Each day that goes by I am more prepared than I was the day before.

·
Ringin Your Gong From 600
7,683 Posts
I'm kinda worried about the time in between myself :eek:

I'm in IT and I didn't do ANYTHING for Y2K. I just knew it would come and pass without as much as a whimper. I'm not so sure about things today. There are a lot of variables that aren't as predictable as computers. :)

If things aren't aleady bad, I think I'll make it a point to sit close to home. In the days leading up, I'll make sure I have a little extra food, make sure the non-food items are stocked, fill a few extra water containers and just wait and see. I sure as heck won't be taking a cruise at that time! :)

·
Live Secret, Live Happy
15,784 Posts
For the life of me I can't see any science behind the Dec 21, 2012 date. An astronomical allignment of no consequence.

However, the emotional response may well be triggered by nothing more than folks who are hurting looking for a chance to riot.

At minimum, I would spend the entire month of Dec 2012 away from the inner city. Call it Christmas in the country.

·
Fire/EMS
766 Posts
Im so sick of this 2012 BS. You wanna know why the calender ends on that date? Because the fricken mayan calender making guy was sitting in his hut, pounding away at a fricken rock with a chisel, and oh, he had a heart attack, fell over and died.
Ok so thats a little simplistic, but yea, basically, they didnt have computers, so if they were going to make calenders, they had to write them out by hand. They wrote them for years, and obviously got pretty far, but eventually they had to stop making them, for whatever reason. This just happens to be the last one we have found. Its a calender people. A rock. With some mayan scribbling on it.

·
Ringin Your Gong From 600
7,683 Posts
Im so sick of this 2012 BS. You wanna know why the calender ends on that date? Because the fricken mayan calender making guy was sitting in his hut, pounding away at a fricken rock with a chisel, and oh, he had a heart attack, fell over and died.
Ok so thats a little simplistic, but yea, basically, they didnt have computers, so if they were going to make calenders, they had to write them out by hand. They wrote them for years, and obviously got pretty far, but eventually they had to stop making them, for whatever reason. This just happens to be the last one we have found. Its a calender people. A rock. With some mayan scribbling on it.
Thank you oh wise one! :rolleyes:

And here we were worried. :)

·
Registered
1,155 Posts
I find the whole mayan thing really interesting,and I am thinking I will have an inexpensive christmas that year as I wont need to be buying any presents:D:,but I'm not sure I can prepare any more for what may happen on that date as I already prepare to the best of my abilities now.

·
Gone Galt
22,534 Posts
I try to prepare for anything, not just the S that seems more likely.

·
Registered
80 Posts
how to prepare for the end of the world:
buy chapstick so your lips are nice and smooth when you kiss your own ass goodbye.:rofl:

i don't believe in the whole 2012 end of the world thing but i'm worried about those that do.i won't do much different than maybe pulling my BOB out of the closet so i can get it faster if need.

·
Wanderer
259 Posts
The concern about it is not that the Mayan calendar ends in 2012, it's that it counts down to 2012. Our's counts up, as does every other calendar. You start at some great event and count forward. Subtracting digits gets people all "curious" about what's gonna happen when it all clicks over to 000.

About the planning,
I think it makes a whole lot of sense to look back on Y2K and think about what happened there. People don't need a war or astral events to get edgy, and when these help them along is when folks get shot trying to buy a case of bottled water.
I'd say buying extra supplies a few months in advance is a good idea (you need food anyhow; just get longer expiration dates) and you won't do any harm by paying a bit more attention to whatever faith you practice, be it singing, praying or oiling a trigger action.

·
Deus exsisto laus
3,963 Posts
Prepping is a lifestyle for me, so whether it is 2012 or 3012 it matters not. Y2K left a bad taste in my mouth,I'm also a tad older.They said the same things about people freaking out in 1999 too. We have more important things to consider politically,socially, economically than some stupid stone calendar. BTW,it wasn't a heart attack that killed the guy chiselling that last calender,it was a Spanish spear. And how do we know that calendar wasn't a typo so it was thrown out and some "Indiana Jones" guy found it .All that hullabaloo for nothing! Guess the Mayans are getting a good laugh. TP

·
Gone Galt
22,534 Posts
There is actually a handful of religions and historical texts that all point to the end of 2012 as well as a few scientific nasties lined up for that period as well.

I don't care personally, I'm prepping as fast as possible anyway.

·
AAAH GET TO ZE CHOPPA!
1,554 Posts
Feh. It's just a date. When reading "research" books and articles about the 2012 prophecies, I noticed that many of their authors talked about actually leveraging that date as a focal point for pushing "enlightening" philosophies, agendas, etc. They saw it as a prophecy that they could self-fulfill, describing it as a time or "rebirth of the spirit" and so forth.

Other such individuals point to the exponentially-increasing pace of technological progress over history, best represented as a spiral that turns faster and faster until it hits a "singularity" of sorts, which they think will be around 2012:
http://www.efn.org/~peace/past/spiral/index.html#1000

Virtually all of them agree (and cross-reference each other for evidence) that 2012 will be a time of "great turmoil" where people will have to make a choice about blah blah yadda yadda fill in mysticism here.

Either way, all of the 2012-obsessed do the same thing as other false prophets before them: they project their own views onto a philosophy, and twist and then twist that philosophy to support that projection. They look at the date in 2012 and say, "what things are happening right now that could cause calamity by 2012?" Suddenly, they find tons of evidence for it. If you convince yourself that the number 72 is the answer to the universe, you will start to see the number 72 everywhere. David Icke likely fell into the same trap when he deduced that key members of government were in fact lizard people.

·
Right Handed
1,371 Posts
Not for nothing but i'm a little more worried about storms, hurricanes, tsunamis, and economy than what some mayan says is gonna be the end of the world.

Either way, what ever i'm prepping... he he he...

·
Registered
1,853 Posts
Pish tosh. How would anything globally catastrophic be predictable for a specific arbitrary date like that [and who says the Mayan calendar and the Gregorian calendar agree on anything to begin with], and why would anyone think that the Mayan calendar couldn't possibly be 're-windable'?

"But scholars are bristling at attempts to link the ancient Maya with trends in contemporary spirituality. Maya civilization, known for advanced writing, mathematics and astronomy, flourished for centuries in Mesoamerica, especially between A.D. 300 and 900. Its Long Count calendar, which was discontinued under Spanish colonization, tracks more than 5,000 years, then resets at year zero." [Emphasis added; from this article]

·
Registered
210 Posts
The concern about it is not that the Mayan calendar ends in 2012, it's that it counts down to 2012. Our's counts up, as does every other calendar. You start at some great event and count forward. Subtracting digits gets people all "curious" about what's gonna happen when it all clicks over to 000.

About the planning,
I think it makes a whole lot of sense to look back on Y2K and think about what happened there. People don't need a war or astral events to get edgy, and when these help them along is when folks get shot trying to buy a case of bottled water.
I'd say buying extra supplies a few months in advance is a good idea (you need food anyhow; just get longer expiration dates) and you won't do any harm by paying a bit more attention to whatever faith you practice, be it singing, praying or oiling a trigger action.
Who knows? I saw Y2K as an anomaly due in part from escalating technology outpacing our ability to shift from old to new.

The Mayan callendar, on the other hand, seems to have an eerily accurate grasp of the future - but, I'm not sure what it is saying. Only that things will change dramatically 12-21-12.

So many other hypotheses point to that date, as well. Seems like everytime something worth pondering, either religiously, politically, spiritually, scientificlly, technologically, etc., the date is always about the same, and we all have to say - oh, yeah, of course - 12/21/12.

Coincidence? I think not. Do I HOPE so - certainly not! But, it is getting harder and harder to ignore, no?

We live in fascinating times!

:xeye:;)

·
Registered
210 Posts
Feh. It's just a date. When reading "research" books and articles about the 2012 prophecies, I noticed that many of their authors talked about actually leveraging that date as a focal point for pushing "enlightening" philosophies, agendas, etc. They saw it as a prophecy that they could self-fulfill, describing it as a time or "rebirth of the spirit" and so forth.

Other such individuals point to the exponentially-increasing pace of technological progress over history, best represented as a spiral that turns faster and faster until it hits a "singularity" of sorts, which they think will be around 2012:
http://www.efn.org/~peace/past/spiral/index.html#1000

Virtually all of them agree (and cross-reference each other for evidence) that 2012 will be a time of "great turmoil" where people will have to make a choice about blah blah yadda yadda fill in mysticism here.

Either way, all of the 2012-obsessed do the same thing as other false prophets before them: they project their own views onto a philosophy, and twist and then twist that philosophy to support that projection. They look at the date in 2012 and say, "what things are happening right now that could cause calamity by 2012?" Suddenly, they find tons of evidence for it. If you convince yourself that the number 72 is the answer to the universe, you will start to see the number 72 everywhere. David Icke likely fell into the same trap when he deduced that key members of government were in fact lizard people.
Uhrr, whaddya mean? They AREn't lizzard people???? Yu sure? Heh heh

:eek:

1 - 20 of 40 Posts