Survivalist Forum banner

1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
democrats = Hydra
6,184 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
11 counties in northern Colorado want to secede and make a new state.

http://abcnews.go.com/US/frustrated-rural-colorado-counties-secede-51st-state/story?id=20493654

"Eleven rural Colorado counties are threatening to secede and have put a 51st state initiative on their November 5 ballots, claiming that the government has no respect for their rural lifestyles.
"It really started with the last legislative session being the straw that broke the camel's back between the rural and urban divide," 51st State Initiative leader Jeffrey Hare told ABCNews.com.
"The two things that stood out were the gun control legislation and the alternative energy mandate that was forced upon the rural parts of the state," he said."

good luck!!!

·
That's "Ma'am" to you
2,854 Posts
Good luck to them, but since they need the approval of both State and Federal governments to do so I don't see it going anywhere.

United States Constitution, Article 4, Section 3, Clause 1
New States may be admitted by the Congress into this Union; but no new State shall be formed or erected within the Jurisdiction of any other State; nor any State be formed by the Junction of two or more States, or Parts of States, without the Consent of the Legislatures of the States concerned as well as of the Congress.

·
Come and Take It!
11,642 Posts
Good luck to them, but since they need the approval of both State and Federal governments to do so I don't see it going anywhere.

Texas negotiated that option BEFORE it was admitted as a state it also negotiated the option to become independent Before it accepted the offer of Statehood. West Virginia was severed from Virginia against the will of the Commonwealth of Virginia.

If the 11 Counties sever from the state and become Independent they are no longer part of the state and can therefore petition for admission to the Union.

Why they would want to join the Union is beyond me I say if they become independent they are better off that way.

·
Almost free
536 Posts
Lone star, what happens if they would stay independent? Any one know exactly what it entails? Like no fed aid in disaster situation's, etc....

·
That's "Ma'am" to you
2,854 Posts
Texas negotiated that option BEFORE it was admitted as a state it also negotiated the option to become independent Before it accepted the offer of Statehood. West Virginia was severed from Virginia against the will of the Commonwealth of Virginia.

If the 11 Counties sever from the state and become Independent they are no longer part of the state and can therefore petition for admission to the Union.

Why they would want to join the Union is beyond me I say if they become independent they are better off that way.
This is not part of Texas, so that is a moot point. There has been much discussion about the Constitutionality of West Virginia's formation, but the bottom line is that while there was a definite advantage to the Federal government to allow the formation of WV there is no similar advantage here.

·
Come and Take It!
11,642 Posts
Lone star, what happens if they would stay independent? Any one know exactly what it entails? Like no fed aid in disaster situation's, etc....
With what we pay in Taxes (for those of us who do) individuals could safe up to supply their own disaster aid. Should the federal Government even include disaster relief for Americans, or anybody else, as part of the Government's mandate. The founders never put anything like this in the Constitution nor has it been added.

·
Come and Take It!
11,642 Posts
This is not part of Texas, so that is a moot point. There has been much discussion about the Constitutionality of West Virginia's formation, but the bottom line is that while there was a definite advantage to the Federal government to allow the formation of WV there is no similar advantage here.
Actually parts of Colorado are part of the Republic of Texas at the time of statehood. The Panhandle narrowed went completely through the center of Colorado and reached to just north of the present Colorado northern border.

Since the agreement was made with the Republic of Texas at the time of statehood the parts of Colorado within the northern panhandle of the Republic of Texas would be included in that deal as would Parts of Montana and Eastern New Mexico.

Attachments

·
democrats = Hydra
6,184 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Bloomberg reports other counties in different states

http://www.businessweek.com/article...e-from-their-states?google_editors_picks=true

He’s not alone. Northern Californians are trying to assemble the new state of Jefferson—again. (They tried in 1941, going so far as to inaugurate a governor.) Last year, Michigan’s Upper Peninsula briefly considered independence from the downstate mitten. And in Maryland, a man named Scott Strzelczyk is leading a movement to allow the five westernmost, Republican-leaning counties to separate from the rest of the state. “Here at the state level, we’re controlled by a single party—Democrats—and we feel we have no other recourse,” he says. “We’re sick and tired of being sick and tired. We want to be our own state.”

·
Come and Take It!
11,642 Posts
The Texas Panhandle split present day Colorado in two and went up in two Montana. Texas was a state with these boundries for quite some time.

If these 11 counties are part of the original state of Texas then these counties would still be subject to that agreement if they so choose to exercise that right.

·
Time to melt snowflakes!
30,160 Posts
If these 11 counties are part of the original state of Texas then these counties would still be subject to that agreement if they so choose to exercise that right.
I don't think the Federal or State government would care about that agreement.

·
Indefatigable
20,113 Posts
The sooner someone tries and fails, the sooner we can get this secession nonsense over with. More power to them.

·
Time to melt snowflakes!
30,160 Posts
The sooner someone tries and fails, the sooner we can get this secession nonsense over with. More power to them.
Do you know this is a portion of a state attempting to separate from the rest of their state, correct? That is a different situation than a state/area attempting to separate from the union. There is precedence for states splitting and forming new states, it is not a completely new concept.

·
Super Moderator
20,631 Posts
There is precedence for states splitting and forming new states, it is not a completely new concept.
I would like to find out more about this. Can you point me in the right direction to read about this?

TIA

·
Indefatigable
20,113 Posts
Do you know this is a portion of a state attempting to separate from the rest of their state, correct? That is a different situation than a state/area attempting to separate from the union.
Yes, I understand that. They will fail - miserably and the rest of us will be left cleaning up their mess.

There is precedence for states splitting and forming new states, it is not a completely new concept.

New States may be admitted by the Congress into this Union; but no new State shall be formed or erected within the Jurisdiction of any other State; nor any State be formed by the Junction of two or more States, or Parts of States, without the Consent of the Legislatures of the States concerned as well as of the Congress.

·
Super Moderator
20,631 Posts
without the Consent of the Legislatures of the States concerned as well as of the Congress.
So who is to say that the CO legislature won't let them go and Congress won't OK it? Anything could happen. Not likely, but it could

·
Come and Take It!
11,642 Posts
Yes, I understand that. They will fail - miserably and the rest of us will be left cleaning up their mess.
Is that what happened when the Soviet Union Broke up?...I'd say states leaving the US might greatly benefit the people of this nation.

1 - 20 of 39 Posts