Survivalist Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Work in progress
1,096 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

Article describes some people are going towards the fire, the building where the fire started collapsed, fumes can be smelled for miles and the smoke is registering on radar. Local residents being evacuated.

·
Registered
3,508 Posts
New Jersey Residents Evacuated As 11-Alarm Fire Rages At Chemical Plant

I hope no lives are lost and that no one is injured as well.

The link from Huffington Post identifies it as Qualico, pool as spa treatment chemicals, I recall people saying in this forum they were difficult to come by this past season.
I’m not going to try and spell it, but it was at the beginning of last year. This is the pool tablet chlorine ( tri chlor…), not calcium hypochlorite- but it lead to a run on most forms as people figured as long as you watch the stabilizer levels you could use other forms of chlorine ( I used dichlor until stabilizer levels got too high, then switched to calcium hypochlorite)

BTW, never heard of an 11 Alarm fire. I don’t think even the FDNY would have one. After 5 alarms you usually need to start ordering apparatus not additional alarms. “ Alarms” are predefined additions of resources. A first alarm to a report of smoke might be two engine and a truck ( assuming the engine provides paramedic or ALS services), soon as Fire is seen, an automatic second alarm might get you a third engine, a medic/ambulance and a battalion chief. 3rd alarm, more engines, many a medical captains and a 2-3 battalion chiefs ( so you can split the fire into divisions, have an incident commander and a safety officer) , rescue captain, another ambulance, 4 alarm maybe get another battalion chief, air unit, a rehab vehicle, more engines and trucks, etc. NYC would start at what I called a second alarm (assuming few fires are single family residences), larger or high risk building might go straight to a third alarm on a waste basket fire. I was in a hotel in DC where a brand new 12 story apartment/hotel ( 2 separated by a 1 hr firewall) had a small fire in an apartment that struck a first alarm based on the fire alarm, and a second alarm based on a 911 call that stated they was an actual fire. First unit got there and discovered the hotel side fire alarm was inoperative and struck a 3, 4, and 5 alarm to get as many people on scene to start awakening the hotel residents- and the horrible consequences if there was a fire. It was pretty impressive. We were back in our rooms in 30 min, but the FD kept a fire watch on each floor.

·
Work in progress
1,096 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Re 11 alarm fire, guessing here…based on the 5 alarm fire format the source or reporters ( most likely the later) kept adding a number every time they added resources. They also had to call in fire boats from stations along the water front.

Two companies were on fire Majestic Industries and Qualico, so they also had to deal with the fumes from burning upholstery material, chlorine etc.

·
Registered
467 Posts
For us a first alarm assignment was 3 engines, 2 trucks 1 rescue ( not ems ) BC, DC, safety officer, arson .
Each additional alarm was a 2 and 1 , after 4th alarm it’s all called a general alarm .

But everywhere it’s different I guess .

1 - 6 of 6 Posts