Survivalist Forum banner

1 - 20 of 53 Posts

·
Crusty, Crunchy and Cute
3,040 Posts
10 MM can have energies ranging from 420 ft/lbs to 770 ft/lbs but typical is in the 650 ft/lbs and up range.

.357 can deliver energy in the same range but typical is in the 550 and up range.

Bullet range is similar but you can squeak out a little more power with a heavier bullet using the .357 if you are willing to take the painful recoil. For long range shooting or close up very large hard target I prefer the 10 but for bump in the night scenario I will grab my Dan Wesson .357 loaded with standard velocity 158 gr SWC bullets because it is easy to shoot and accurate. Accurate and ease of quick second shot beats maximum power.

That being said my favorite pistol is a 1911A1 45 ACP but if I ever replaced it it would be with a 10. There is something to be said for being able to change magazines in a hurry if you are in that position where it becomes necessary.

·
New and yet, old
2,795 Posts
I am both a retired LEO and a retired Infantry soldier. My everyday carry is a 9mm but not when I am hiking in the National Forests out west. If I am anywhere near bear country i carry a Glock 10mm.

10mm was developed for the FBI to replace their .357s after the Miami shootout. The only reason they changed again (to .40S&W) was too many of their smaller agents could not handle range qualification with the 10mm.

If I had my choice against a large predator (black or grissly bear) it would be the heaviest hard cast 10mm thjat i could carry.

·
Registered
1,101 Posts
.357 will reach out and touch someone.. I load my case splitters with mag primers, 2400 rifle powder and 148 gr jacketed. Even if you SHOULD miss, you will scare the you know what out of them. I also like my .378 weatherby mag. Painful ? yes, but much more for the other end

·
Registered
14,214 Posts
I like the 10, and the .41 Mag about equally well. The bigger bullet, of appropriate construction will handle most tasks a handgun should be expected to handle. If logistics are to be consulted, though, the .357 or .44 would be a better new purchase.

·
Why do you ask? 2 Dogs!
13,832 Posts
The 10MM works really well in a semi-auto pistol

The 357 Mag works really well in a revolver.

As far as power, the 10MM has the edge in energy in some cases

As far as versatility, the 357 Mag...hands down.

·
Registered
1,959 Posts
Power IE ft/lbs of energy doesn't = ability to kill (Period)

A 9mm +P round = a .357 in damage to the body

This is about hollowpoints.

A 9mm -40 - 357sig -45 ACP all do about 11-13" penetration into the human body no temporary wound cavity, and the diamiter differnce is from 9mm(.355(.357 caliber)) to 11.5mm(.45 caliber). With the HPs the differnce is still about the same just slightly bigger holes which helps but you can look that up. Because human tissue stretches the differnce isn't even worth talking about with pistols.

The 10mm will get you about 12.5-16" of penetration again depending on the company you buy, and while great it penetrates more factor in recoil vs gun, vs the abuse the gun takes etc.

Matter of choice but the reality is the .357-10mm only means inches of penetration not the ability to stop someone which is solely in shot placement. Once you breach the 11" penetration range you are in the are of a 1 shot incapacitation reliabily if everythign works out. Add moving target your ability to control said round, and other factors might weigh in a bit.

I will say this and the 10mm lovers will go nuts some of the rounds espeically the 10mm have a slightly (please don't read into this in reality it is basically +1 to blind luck) better chance of going through a object in a more direct line. For those of you with famil this might be a very bad thing in a house. Again pistol calibers.... Not much differnce but there you go the only thing that it may do better, but it cant be quantified because we can't get reliable data.

·
Registered
1,291 Posts
10mm was developed for the FBI to replace their .357s after the Miami shootout. The only reason they changed again (to .40S&W) was too many of their smaller agents could not handle range qualification with the 10mm.

If I had my choice against a large predator (black or grissly bear) it would be the heaviest hard cast 10mm thjat i could carry.
Sorry but the "replacing of 357's" is BS, while they carried S&W 13's they were loaded with 38 +P's not 357's, period. Those guys were hit with 9's and 38+p's NOT 357 magnums. While both are close on paper ,real world the 357 get's the nod if power is your desire unless you must have an auto. And as for protection from Lions?? Ha that's laughable neither is even close.

·
Registered
5,519 Posts
And as for protection from Lions?? Ha that's laughable neither is even close.
I believe it was Finn Aagaard who wrote of another professional African hunter who packed a 1911 loaded with ball ammo and said something to the effect of 'the local lions had gained a respect for it'.

I can think of worse choices than 16 rounds of 10mm full power ammo.
Controllable, accurate, lightweight and abuse resistant.

In actuality the full power 10mm hits the middle of the .41 Magnum power band. The problem? Most of the ammo loaded for the 10mm is loaded with defensive bullets not hunting bullets and it won't penetrate on game for snot.

I've shot critters with .357, 10mm, .41 Mag, .44 Special, .44 Mag, .45 Auto and .45 Colt and when you increase bullet diameter and/or velocity, you increase effectiveness. Depending on bullet construction of course.

All things being the same (velocity, bullet weight, diameter, bullet shape):
The faster bullet will be more effective.
Same goes for the larger bullet, it will be more effective.
Same goes for heavier bullet.

·
Start up the rotors
7,663 Posts
10mm has an edge in power, generally. I know a guy in AK that carries a 10mm Glock as bear medicine.
That said, both rounds are in the 'more than adequate' catagory. 357 gets my attention because of it's versatility: Long gun, hand gun, can shoot 38's if you want/need to, decent shotshells available in 38/357, ammo availability, ammo price, etc...
If someone could make a decent affordable 357 autoloader, it'd be the perfect round. (Real 357, not 357 Sig)

Reactions: Shawn .223

·
Registered
53 Posts
A 9mm +P round = a .357 in damage to the body
I find this statement to be misleading.

First, barrel length and bullet weight are not specified.

Second, reliability will diminish on many 9mm handguns if +P rounds are used regularly. And you need to practice with your defense load regularly.

Third, One Stop Shot percentage for 125gr 357 mag is 87%-96% vs 80%-88% for 9mm +P (Stopping Power by E Marshall and E Sanow).

I would agree that KE for 9mm +P and 357 mag can be similar for some loads and barrel lengths.

·
Registered
39 Posts
I spent 26 years as a LEO. I always heard that after the Miami shootout, the FBI realized that they were underpowered, and started shopping around. The 9mm was about equal to a .38, but more rounds per gun. Not enough power. They looked at the 10mm, and some bleeding heart decided it was too powerful, and would shoot thru walls in an Urban shootout. So they reduced the power (and shell length) and called it the .40S&W. I call them 10mm Lite. I always toted a Model 66 4", or 2 1/2" when wearing a business suit or sport coat. I once shot a sample 2nd Chance vest with a .357 (125 grain JHP) and a 9mm +P (95 grain JHP). The 9mm went thru 4 layers and stopped in the 5th layer. The .357 went thru 21 layers and stopped in the 22nd, out of 28 layers. I always felt very comfortable with my .357. I also carried a speed loader with 6 AP rounds, just in case. Never got a chance to shoot something with them. Today, if I had to do it over again, I would probably go with a good quality 10 mm, that you could load on Sunday and shoot till Saturday.

·
Registered
1,628 Posts
For carry in a normal world the 10 would be a consideration for carry/defense.

When it comes to survival though I have to wonder how common are 10mm rounds on shelves in good times? How common will they be to come by in bad times?

IMO the 10 is not a sound choice for a long-term EOTW scenario.

·
Registered
5,519 Posts
For carry in a normal world the 10 would be a consideration for carry/defense.

When it comes to survival though I have to wonder how common are 10mm rounds on shelves in good times? How common will they be to come by in bad times?

IMO the 10 is not a sound choice for a long-term EOTW scenario.
I've said it before, I'll say it again, if you're planning on finding ammo post-whatever, you're planning wrong.

What you have is most likely what you're gonna have. Pile it deep, plan on reloading. But don't plan on finding it on the shelves of wally-world.

1 - 20 of 53 Posts