Survivalist Forum banner
  • Are you passionate about survivalism? Would you like to write about topics that interest you and get paid for it? Read all about it here!
41 - 60 of 61 Posts

·
Live Secret, Live Happy
16,767 Posts
No need to be rude
I don't get being invested in being wrong
Tim Sundles has never been proven to exaggerate, and in fact quite the opposite
I got slightly more speed, up to 1507 on my LabRadar

Now between a rude internet pontificator, and Tim Sundles and my own eyes, it is easy to dismiss your opinon as objectively wrong.

Standard pressure, SAAMI spec

BUFFALO BORE HEAVY 357 MAG
180 gr. JHP (1,500fps/M.E. 899 ft. lbs.)

1,501 fps -- Ruger GP 100, 6-inch
After handloading the 357 mag for 36 yrs, and testing factory loads and my own handloads for over 30 yrs, I simply do not believe you. My data shows most 357 mag revolvers stuggle to reach 1500 f/s with a 158g bullet.

This does not alter my opinion of the 357 mag. Its a great round for anything smaller than a bear. But when I need more power, I will simply use one of my 44 mags, or my 14" Contender in 445 SM.

·
Registered
1,778 Posts
After handloading the 357 mag for 36 yrs, and testing factory loads and my own handloads for over 30 yrs, I simply do not believe you. My data shows most 357 mag revolvers stuggle to reach 1500 f/s with a 158g bullet.

This does not alter my opinion of the 357 mag. Its a great round for anything smaller than a bear. But when I need more power, I will simply use one of my 44 mags, or my 14" Contender in 445 SM.
Buffalo Bore doesn't exaggerate their numbers. They are typically matched no problem, and they even list the actual firearm/barrel length. I have a 7.5" Blackawk in .357 and this caliber really goes nuke with more barrel length! :cool:

·
Registered
197 Posts
I’ve been interested in 10mm for a while but I can’t really bring myself to get invested in it. It’s expensive and the availability is intermittent. 40 does most of what 10mm does for the purposes I need it for (outdoors use) at a cheaper price and much better availability.

·
Deplorable
2,144 Posts
For about two years now I've been carrying my Glock 30s (45. ACP) as my main hiking/woods gun. I am not the biggest fan of the .45 as I generally like the 9mm for my everyday carry. Anyway, I had done some research on 10mm for things like bear defense and as a general-purpose "woods gun." I have seen guys hunt with the 10mm and folks are even comparing it as an alternative to .357.
So at my local gun store, I was on a waitlist for a Glock 20 but they ended up getting in a Glock 40 instead. It had a longer barrel than I had seen on a Glock but I just went ahead and picked it up anyway. I took it hiking with me and fired off about 50 or so rounds. And man let me tell you what I already love this thing. Accurate, smooth, and powerful. I definitely feel safe out there.
Also please do note- I am not interested in killing a bear, I love bears along with all other animals and I would only kill one if I had no other choice. I am not one of those people who is paranoid in the woods, I just like that extra level of security and peace of mind out there. Especially when camping alone!
My questing to you guys is...What do you think of the 10mm? Any experience out there with it? Does anybody dislike the round? Any other Glock 40 owners?
Cheers as always! 🍻
My daily carry is a G40, love the gun and the round.

·
Registered
91 Posts
For about two years now I've been carrying my Glock 30s (45. ACP) as my main hiking/woods gun. I am not the biggest fan of the .45 as I generally like the 9mm for my everyday carry. Anyway, I had done some research on 10mm for things like bear defense and as a general-purpose "woods gun." I have seen guys hunt with the 10mm and folks are even comparing it as an alternative to .357.
So at my local gun store, I was on a waitlist for a Glock 20 but they ended up getting in a Glock 40 instead. It had a longer barrel than I had seen on a Glock but I just went ahead and picked it up anyway. I took it hiking with me and fired off about 50 or so rounds. And man let me tell you what I already love this thing. Accurate, smooth, and powerful. I definitely feel safe out there.
Also please do note- I am not interested in killing a bear, I love bears along with all other animals and I would only kill one if I had no other choice. I am not one of those people who is paranoid in the woods, I just like that extra level of security and peace of mind out there. Especially when camping alone!
My questing to you guys is...What do you think of the 10mm? Any experience out there with it? Does anybody dislike the round? Any other Glock 40 owners?
Cheers as always! 🍻
Brand name, pistol or revolver, caliber size is all a personal choice. Revolvers generally sport cartridges that contain more powder and more knock down power.
A properly placed .22 caliber will kill an elephant, a poorly placed .45 caliber wont kill a jack rabbit.

·
Registered
80 Posts
The 10mm is a reloader's dream. It can use the same 40S&W projectiles. I wouldn't own any 10mms if I relied on factory ammo.
I’ve been interested in 10mm for a while but I can’t really bring myself to get invested in it. It’s expensive and the availability is intermittent. 40 does most of what 10mm does for the purposes I need it for (outdoors use) at a cheaper price and much better availability.

Indeed, especially in the M610.
If you get a 10mm you can also shoot 40 cal. I did this afternoon.

·
Bear Fighter
1,730 Posts
I have a 1911 in 10mm and .45ACP. I love to shoot them both, and I can get 200 grain hard cast lead for the 10mm for bear country. I'm thinking of rolling my own with the Lehigh Defense stuff because I know I can make it cheaper than I can buy Buffalo Bore.

I don't have a 357 Mag, and I wouldn't own one unless it was gifted to me. Can't stand to shoot one because of the report. No matter how much ear protection, it still gets me. I'll shoot my 44 Mag all day long before I'll even look at a 357. I don't have experience with a 41 Mag, and it has always intrigued me, but factory ammo - and even components - are super scarce (at least around these parts). Owning one of these is not high on my list.

As for a Glock, I'm all about getting a G40. I love that long slide, and I'd love to see how much difference that barrel length makes on the chronometer.

·
Premium Member
5,112 Posts
I don't have a 357 Mag, and I wouldn't own one unless it was gifted to me. Can't stand to shoot one because of the report. No matter how much ear protection, it still gets me.
I tend towards heavy-weight, sub-sonic loads in everything as much as I can. There is a place for speed obviously. I have a 200 grain mold for the .357 Blackhawks. That is as much bullet as I can fit in the cylinder safely, and it is not an ear killer south of the sound -barrier. The LBT WLN is a beautiful thing. The 220 grain sub-sonic 10mm seems like it would suit me well. The commercial loads are at 1200, but I think they would work real good at 1050 which is my favorite speed generally.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #52 ·
I definitely don't mind carrying my Glock 40 MOS out there. After a few weeks of use (carrying it around and shooting it some) I have found a liking to it. It fits nicely in my Hill People Gear heavy recon kit bag along with two extra mags. If it comes down to it and I find a Glock 20 I might just trade it in and pick up the 20.

·
Registered
660 Posts
I see many gun rags write about the 10mm like it’s the second coming of Christ. They say it’s the do all cartridge in the last 100 years. In its best day the 10mm can’t come anywhere close to a 41 magnum in power, and it’s not even in the same category as a 44 magnum. In my humble opinion it’s a over powered 40S&W that 99 percent of the people couldn’t shoot well in a self defense situation. I live in an area with bear problems, not a single person carries a 10mm for bear protection. I feel the 44 magnum is to small for bear protection.

·
Registered
660 Posts
That is the conventional wisdom
180 grain bullet at 1500 + fps from my GP100 at 900 ft lbs with factory ammunition
That is well beyond anything the 10mm can do with factory or publushed load data ammunition
So, no, you don't need a rifle to get well north of the 10mm with the .357 mag

I don't get the need to pretend that the 10mm is more than it is
It is a good solution from the woods to the hood as I have stated
I like the 10mm

It is the leading candidate for most versatile cartridge, in my opinion, if you need a single cartridge solution to a problem you are likely to encounter if you go from the woods to the hood....and some do.......

Here in the Ozarks there is no urgent need for it in the woods and it is not ideal in the hood
If it is so super-duper, I ask again, why are our most elite operators not using it to a man or at all ?????
Because there is a better solution for their mission to smoke people
Inevitably, for those who use the 10mm for the hood, most/all down-load the 10mm especially if they are professionals....ergo the .40 S&W or "tactical" 10mm loads

I know it is hard for me to stay objective about things that are subjectively appealing to me
That may be what is going on here with the 10mm discussion here......
I have been reloading for over 45 years. I don’t have to look in a single reloading book to know A 180 grain 357 bullet at 1500 FPS from a GP100 is overly optimistic, no matter how long the barrel is.

·
Registered
660 Posts
Glock 20 is my outdoors gun, cast 220 grain rounds moving at 1100 fps is a lot of power... in addition when you have 11 rounds at your disposal, and you can get those off quickly, it can stop any critter out there.
Glocks have polygonal rifled barrels, they aren’t known for good accuracy with cast bullets without a replacement barrel. If you are getting good accuracy with a factory barrel with 220 grain hard cast bullets, it will be the first I’ve heard of it.

·
Registered
701 Posts
I bought a S&W Model 610 4” barrel revolver because it shoots both .40 and 10mm. I’ve never owned a revolver (all my handguns are S/A) but this was bought for 5 reasons: 1) in the event of a life or death situation while hunting in bear country a revolver will most likely NOT fail, 2) I can use a Dangerous Game 10mm round (Underwood Xtreme Penetrator), 3) I have a ton of .40 S&W ammo that I can practice with, 4) it’s not going to break the bank shooting it, and 5) while large, I can still carry it in a chest rig that makes it readily accessible. I feel that the 10mm is the minimum Dangerous Game round for bear country.

The 610 is a large N-Frame revolver so it’s definitely not concealed carry. I carry it in a GunfightersINC Kenai chest rig under my bino case.

·
Registered
1,173 Posts
Glocks have polygonal rifled barrels, they aren’t known for good accuracy with cast bullets without a replacement barrel. If you are getting good accuracy with a factory barrel with 220 grain hard cast bullets, it will be the first I’ve heard of it.
Thats what they say. I use a Lone Wolf barrel in the G20

·
Registered
57 Posts
I am very late to the party here, and will probably not be warmly received with my opinion on the subject!

If you like the gun for general self defense and the remote possibility of a bear attack.....go for it! Unless the bear that you are concerned about may be a large (ish) grizzly or a very large Black Bear. Then, I suggest a different firearm! 🤔

Far too many people think about putting a lot of rounds downrange in the event of a bear attack. I believe that statistics show this isn’t likely!

Many persons attacked by bears have little to no warning.....bears rarely attack on open ground from 30 plus yards away! A running bear can cover 30 yards in about 3 seconds. This is not a lot of time to acknowledge the attack, draw the firearm, and get off (semi) accurate shot (s)! If proven in an investigation, and there will be an investigation, if you start firing at long distance..... it will be difficult to justify that you were in imminent danger, much like shooting a human! As grizzlies are federally protected, likely the courts will not approve of your “shoot”!

While a 10 mm is a relatively powerful firearm (handgun), even with some of the heavier, hard cast bullets available.....it’s “stopping” ability falls far below that of a big-bore revolver shooting heavy, hard cast bullets.

Personally.....I’d prefer to rely upon one decently placed bullet virtually guaranteed to fully penetrate the bear from any angle and any and all bone encountered! Getting one or two more shots into the bear does not guarantee a stop. Plus, just how accurate will the follow-up shots be? One accurately placed, big-bore, properly constructed, heavy bullet trumps several lesser caliber, lighter, potentially less accurately placed bullets! JMO 😉 memtb

Reactions: kctgb

·
Live Secret, Live Happy
16,767 Posts
I am very late to the party here, and will probably not be warmly received with my opinion on the subject!

If you like the gun for general self defense and the remote possibility of a bear attack.....go for it! Unless the bear that you are concerned about may be a large (ish) grizzly or a very large Black Bear. Then, I suggest a different firearm! 🤔

Far too many people think about putting a lot of rounds downrange in the event of a bear attack. I believe that statistics show this isn’t likely!

Many persons attacked by bears have little to no warning.....bears rarely attack on open ground from 30 plus yards away! A running bear can cover 30 yards in about 3 seconds. This is not a lot of time to acknowledge the attack, draw the firearm, and get off (semi) accurate shot (s)! If proven in an investigation, and there will be an investigation, if you start firing at long distance..... it will be difficult to justify that you were in imminent danger, much like shooting a human! As grizzlies are federally protected, likely the courts will not approve of your “shoot”!

While a 10 mm is a relatively powerful firearm (handgun), even with some of the heavier, hard cast bullets available.....it’s “stopping” ability falls far below that of a big-bore revolver shooting heavy, hard cast bullets.

Personally.....I’d prefer to rely upon one decently placed bullet virtually guaranteed to fully penetrate the bear from any angle and any and all bone encountered! Getting one or two more shots into the bear does not guarantee a stop. Plus, just how accurate will the follow-up shots be? One accurately placed, big-bore, properly constructed, heavy bullet trumps several lesser caliber, lighter, potentially less accurately placed bullets! JMO 😉 memtb
You are absolutely correct. The only time I was confronted by a black bear was at a distance of ten feet, and inside a building. Fortunately this was during daytime, because I was using my 44 mag Redhawk that day. One shot, all he did was bleed.

It is unfortunate that none of my magnum revolvers can be fitted with a weapons light. That would be perfect, IMO. I bought my Sig 220 in 10 mm, and my Streamlight, specifically because my area has numerous predators and feral hogs, and the often show up at night.

Anyone know of a practical way to mount a weapons light to a DA revolver?

·
Registered
80 Posts
This is IMO just about the most perfect all-around handgun. In addition to your list I will add that some guys can reload the moon clips really fast, and it's a reloader's dream. It can handle extra spicy handloads; some have converted it to 10mm Magnum.
I bought a S&W Model 610 4” barrel revolver because it shoots both .40 and 10mm. I’ve never owned a revolver (all my handguns are S/A) but this was bought for 5 reasons: 1) in the event of a life or death situation while hunting in bear country a revolver will most likely NOT fail, 2) I can use a Dangerous Game 10mm round (Underwood Xtreme Penetrator), 3) I have a ton of .40 S&W ammo that I can practice with, 4) it’s not going to break the bank shooting it, and 5) while large, I can still carry it in a chest rig that makes it readily accessible. I feel that the 10mm is the minimum Dangerous Game round for bear country.

The 610 is a large N-Frame revolver so it’s definitely not concealed carry. I carry it in a GunfightersINC Kenai chest rig under my bino case.

41 - 60 of 61 Posts