Survivalist Forum banner
  • Are you passionate about survivalism? Would you like to write about topics that interest you and get paid for it? Read all about it here!
21 - 40 of 61 Posts

·
Registered
4,769 Posts
Bought one of the first 10mm Glocks sold in the state.

That has been one of the most reliable pistols I ever shot outside the 1911.

The round is solid, and I suggest that we should adopt it as a LE round on a large scale.

IMO.

·
Registered
281 Posts
I‘m a believer in fairly heavy for caliber bullets at moderate velocities for good all around performance in most handgun rounds, the 10mm meets this description perfectly. I shot one of the big S&W’s the FBI initially adapted way back when when an acquaintance of mine let me run a mag through his. I blew the center out of a target first time up, fell in love instantly. Took me all this time since to get a 10mm of my own, but finally got a Glock last year and am thrilled. Going to add Trijicon sights and an aftermarket barrel to shoot lead and think I’ll have my ideal all around handgun.

·
Premium Member
5,112 Posts
I love the ubiquitous 10mm threads that inevitably go to the .41 mag card.
The .41 mag is way way more gun.
The 10mm is close to a .357 mag
That is a good way to think of it
It makes a lot of sense all around
Hood or woods
If it were the ne plus ultra pistol cartridge, at least some of the elite operators would be using it
For me not enough juice in the woods and too much juice in the hood
I am glad that it seems to be gaining in popularity
I sold my G20s
Trying to simplify my life

·
Dirt Dweller
1,181 Posts
I love the ubiquitous 10mm threads that inevitably go to the .41 mag card.
The .41 mag is way way more gun.
The 10mm is close to a .357 mag
That is a good way to think of it
It makes a lot of sense all around
Hood or woods
If it were the ne plus ultra pistol cartridge, at least some of the elite operators would be using it
For me not enough juice in the woods and too much juice in the hood
I am glad that it seems to be gaining in popularity
I sold my G20s
Trying to simplify my life
Jack, the reason the comparisons of the 10mm to the .41 cals are ubiquitous is because so many people who test fire in jell, speed and other penetration studies have came to that conclusion. Even if the 10mm is only comparable to the .357 mag I’m fine with that. I’ve killed a number of deer and a few hogs with my S&W 686. Now I’ve got a bigger bullet, 9 more and a much quicker reload. I bought my 10mm to simplify my life.

·
Live Secret, Live Happy
16,767 Posts
I dont know how many here have handloaded and shot these cartridges, but I dont compare the 10mm to either the 357, or the 41 mag. Power wise it fits cleanly in between, but since it fits in a modern semi auto, it out performs both of them.

Perhaps if I could load more than six rounds, and mount a weapons light on my Redhawk, I might feel different. But my 10mm Sig has pushed my (3) 357 mags, and my (2) 44 mags revolvers aside, and just taken over as my woods carry gun.

The reason us simple. The Sig is lighter, and easier to carry than my revolvers, and with my streamlight attached, I can finally see, and shoot big nasty critters at night.

·
Premium Member
5,112 Posts
I like the 10mm, but it’s hard to compare it to .357 Magnum when the heavier .357 loads have much better sectional density as far as actual performance goes.
At least this member understands what is what.
And he, and I both like the 10mm
The .357 mag is more gun than the 10mm
More energy and better sectional density
Keeping within SAAMI specs
There are no +P SAAMI loads for these two and the .357 mag has some crazy potential

·
Registered
14,359 Posts
The real advantage 10 mm has over .357 is the fact that the typical .357 handgun is limited in capacity, compared to the typical 10 mm.

Yes, there are a few semi auto .357’s, but they aren’t exactly high capacity units.

So while the .357 may indeed be “more bullet”, it is certainly not “more gun”.
Unless you put it in a carbine....😉

·
Si vis pacem, para bellum
8,152 Posts
My go to ammo has been, and will be as long as it is available, the Winchester Silvertip. It may not be as powerful as the Buffalo Bore, Double Tap, or Underwood strategic nuclear level loads. At 650ish foot pounds it is more tacticle nuclear level instead of the 40 Short and Weak level loads from the rest of the ammo manufacturers 400-500ish foot pound level loads (Federal Hydra-Shok at 424 for example), while still being in their price range.

I did pull the Delta Elite out of the safe to carry earlier this week. It went back in the safe after a couple days as the only holster I have for it is not safe in my opinion as the strap is too long keeping the snap from breaking as it should and the safety keeps getting wiped off in it. It will come back out when a proper holster is procurred.

I could carry the 1006 but they are becoming scarce and would be next to impossible to replace if something happened to it and I've had it since they first cam out.

The question of the day is; when will the M&P10 pistols start to show up on the gunshop shelves? That would solve the problem.

·
Registered
1,236 Posts
Alaska State Troopers carry Glock G20 as a sidearm(last I knew), they do this for a reason. Thick fur, skin and clothing require deep penetration and the G20 gives them good ammo capacity, just in case. I don't own any 10mm firearms but I understand that they have a niche and if I lived in grizzly, moose, wolf, wolverine country, I'd certainly consider adding a G20/G40 or an M&P10..

·
Premium Member
5,112 Posts
So while the .357 may indeed be “more bullet”, it is certainly not “more gun”.
Unless you put it in a carbine....
That is the conventional wisdom
180 grain bullet at 1500 + fps from my GP100 at 900 ft lbs with factory ammunition
That is well beyond anything the 10mm can do with factory or publushed load data ammunition
So, no, you don't need a rifle to get well north of the 10mm with the .357 mag

I don't get the need to pretend that the 10mm is more than it is
It is a good solution from the woods to the hood as I have stated
I like the 10mm

It is the leading candidate for most versatile cartridge, in my opinion, if you need a single cartridge solution to a problem you are likely to encounter if you go from the woods to the hood....and some do.......

Here in the Ozarks there is no urgent need for it in the woods and it is not ideal in the hood
If it is so super-duper, I ask again, why are our most elite operators not using it to a man or at all ?????
Because there is a better solution for their mission to smoke people
Inevitably, for those who use the 10mm for the hood, most/all down-load the 10mm especially if they are professionals....ergo the .40 S&W or "tactical" 10mm loads

I know it is hard for me to stay objective about things that are subjectively appealing to me
That may be what is going on here with the 10mm discussion here......

·
Live Secret, Live Happy
16,767 Posts
There is zero chance of a Ruger GP 100 achiving 1500 f/s with a 180g bullet. Not from a 4" barrel, not from an 6" barrel, hell not even from my custom 10.5" Blackhawk using hell for leather handloads.

Go check your data again. Better yet, set up your chrono and measure these magic loads before posting that **** again.

·
Premium Member
5,112 Posts
No need to be rude
I don't get being invested in being wrong
Tim Sundles has never been proven to exaggerate, and in fact quite the opposite
I got slightly more speed, up to 1507 on my LabRadar

Now between a rude internet pontificator, and Tim Sundles and my own eyes, it is easy to dismiss your opinon as objectively wrong.

Standard pressure, SAAMI spec

BUFFALO BORE HEAVY 357 MAG
180 gr. JHP (1,500fps/M.E. 899 ft. lbs.)

1,501 fps -- Ruger GP 100, 6-inch

·
Premium Member
5,112 Posts
Here is a head scratcher for you:
RoundTypeWeightMuzzle Energy ft·lbMuzzle Velocity ft/sec.
10mm AutoTFSP7710152420
What brand is that ?
Does it indicate what gun was used ?
Regardless, if that bullet fragmented (can't see it staying in one piece unless it is monolithic)
And got to 16 plus inches in penetration, yikes
It makes sense that the lighter you go, the more energy you may get..two times speed is four times energy for the same mass

Note: it looks like it came from a defunct company rbcd.net
Interesting discussion

·
Si vis pacem, para bellum
8,152 Posts
What brand is that ?
Does it indicate what gun was used ?
Regardless, if that bullet fragmented (can't see it staying in one piece unless it is monolithic)
And got to 16 plus inches in penetration, yikes
It makes sense that the lighter you go, the more energy you may get..two times speed is four times energy for the same mass

Note: it looks like it came from a defunct company rbcd.net
Interesting discussion

Yes, it was the RBCD load. I've only seen it listed in ballistics comparison tables, never in the real world.

21 - 40 of 61 Posts