Survivalist Forum banner
  • Are you passionate about survivalism? Would you like to write about topics that interest you and get paid for it? Read all about it here!
1 - 20 of 61 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
For about two years now I've been carrying my Glock 30s (45. ACP) as my main hiking/woods gun. I am not the biggest fan of the .45 as I generally like the 9mm for my everyday carry. Anyway, I had done some research on 10mm for things like bear defense and as a general-purpose "woods gun." I have seen guys hunt with the 10mm and folks are even comparing it as an alternative to .357.
So at my local gun store, I was on a waitlist for a Glock 20 but they ended up getting in a Glock 40 instead. It had a longer barrel than I had seen on a Glock but I just went ahead and picked it up anyway. I took it hiking with me and fired off about 50 or so rounds. And man let me tell you what I already love this thing. Accurate, smooth, and powerful. I definitely feel safe out there.
Also please do note- I am not interested in killing a bear, I love bears along with all other animals and I would only kill one if I had no other choice. I am not one of those people who is paranoid in the woods, I just like that extra level of security and peace of mind out there. Especially when camping alone!
My questing to you guys is...What do you think of the 10mm? Any experience out there with it? Does anybody dislike the round? Any other Glock 40 owners?
Cheers as always! 🍻

·
Registered
452 Posts
It’s my personal opinion that the 10MM is a great round. It’s a very effective mans stopper. If the Glock Model 40 fits your hand that’s great. I’m envious. The Glock 10 MM models are just too big around for my hands.

I believe the 10 MM is enjoying somewhat of a resurgence, in popularity. They were quite popular for a while in the late 80’s, then they seemed to just evaporate. Now I’m seeing more and more people that have taken a liking to the round. I’m even seeing a box of 10MM ammunition, on the shelves, from time to time.

·
Space Force Recruit
1,848 Posts
I like the 10mm, but it’s hard to compare it to .357 Magnum when the heavier .357 loads have much better sectional density as far as actual performance goes. The only real advantage is having 15+1 rounds available in a semi auto. Maybe more if you carry a Kriss magazine extension.

I’ve had the Glock 20, 29, 40 MOS and a Ruger GP100 chambered in it. All are pretty comfortable to shoot but the Glock 20 is the best one. Perfect size for 10mm and actually has a large aftermarket support. Finding holsters that aren’t chest holsters or leather for the 40 is difficult, you’ll either need to make your own or modify Glock 20 holsters. A Safariland ALS Glock 20 holster will fit a Glock 40 with modifications. Finding holsters for the 29 is easy but you lose everything ballistic-wise that makes the 10mm a good cartridge and you get a ton of recoil for basically .40 S&W levels of energy.

·
Registered
14,359 Posts
It should shoot good out of the new M&P chambered for it. Might even pick the “4 model up sometime…….15+1 10mm in a roughly Glock 19 size package, something no one else offers.
Tanfoglio made a compact polymer 10mm that was slightly smaller, with a 12+1 capacity.
But you are right, the Smith is a different thing, and worth looking at.👍

·
Live Secret, Live Happy
16,767 Posts
I have owned my Sig in 10mm for 4 yrs now.

I really enjoy shooting self defense rounds loaded equivelent to the 40 Cal (180g JHP @ 1050). Lower pressure than my 40 Cal and excellent accuracy. This is the most effective self defense load according to the 1989 FBI testing.

I also load it with molly coated SWC cast bullets a full grain less (180g JHP @ 950). This makes a very mild practice load and is suited for game smaller than a bear.

I have experimented with 41 Mag lite equivelent loads, but these are not my favorite, nor do I believe the 10mm is really equivilent. For those interested, I can get 1300 f/s with a hard cast 200g SWC, and this is a big handfull in my Sig 220.

·
Comm Monkey
659 Posts
I'm a big fan of the Glock 40 and 10mm in general but that handgun and cartridge would not be in my top 5 for a woods gun unless I was hunting with it, or I was more afraid of finding a meth lab in the woods than a bear. I generally prefer a revolver for a woods gun for the simple reasons they tend to be smaller and more versatile. By versatile I generally mean I can have ammo ranging from mouse fart power for small game to Hot bear loads for anything that wants or can eat me and the weapon will function just the same.

Respectfully Submitted

·
Registered
2,593 Posts
My neighbor has a g20 in 10mm for his woods gun it seams to work for him .
I want a 10mm in 1911 but I don’t want to start loading another caliber, I would need a Dillon loading plate 10mm dies cases different projectiles maybe powder ?
I load all the common calibers now .
I have 9mm dies but gave my 9mm pistols away so I don’t have to load for it .
I allways wished I started in with 41m it a good compromise between 357 44m

·
Pisticus Veritas
Very Prepared!!
40,328 Posts
For about two years now I've been carrying my Glock 30s (45. ACP) as my main hiking/woods gun. I am not the biggest fan of the .45 as I generally like the 9mm for my everyday carry. Anyway, I had done some research on 10mm for things like bear defense and as a general-purpose "woods gun." I have seen guys hunt with the 10mm and folks are even comparing it as an alternative to .357.
So at my local gun store, I was on a waitlist for a Glock 20 but they ended up getting in a Glock 40 instead. It had a longer barrel than I had seen on a Glock but I just went ahead and picked it up anyway. I took it hiking with me and fired off about 50 or so rounds. And man let me tell you what I already love this thing. Accurate, smooth, and powerful. I definitely feel safe out there.
Also please do note- I am not interested in killing a bear, I love bears along with all other animals and I would only kill one if I had no other choice. I am not one of those people who is paranoid in the woods, I just like that extra level of security and peace of mind out there. Especially when camping alone!
My questing to you guys is...What do you think of the 10mm? Any experience out there with it? Does anybody dislike the round? Any other Glock 40 owners?
Cheers as always! 🍻
I have no problem with the 10mm. If I needed another gun I might even get one.

If I were to buy a backup handgun for Grizzly, I'd probably go with a .454 Casull.

Reactions: sparky5

·
Registered
9 Posts
Cheers as always! 🍻

My first pistol is a full sized G22gen4, 10mm; I love it. I carry it when backpacking; only pulled it out once while on the AT earlier this year, when a bear got into someones tent about 15 yards away. Never needed it as the bear retreated to the woods nearby with the boy's pack. Daylight was just breaking, so no one got scared of an old guy standing there in his skivvies with a pistol pulled (I did get it back in the tent before daylight).

A few years back on another portion of the AT, a trail keeper stopped to talk and asked for ID and permit to camp (GSMNP). I had to show him my conceal carry permit too. He asked what I carried; I told him; then we swapped pistols to look at them - he had the same one! Kid had to be well under 25! Great conversation.

In practice, I'm lights out at 20 yards. I almost always backpack alone and carry.

·
Dirt Dweller
1,181 Posts
I bought my Glock 40 about a month ago. I needed a 10 mm like I needed a hole in my head. Bought it anyhow. Love it. I have XL hands and it fits me fine. Steve Marshall above seemed to have made an odd comment about ammo varied greatly between manufacturers. Odd until you see Paul Harrell’s video comparing .40 cal vs.10mm. Federal 40 cal and 10mm were virtually the same.

·
Vigilant Curmudgeon
Vigilant Curmudgeon
764 Posts
My neighbor has a g20 in 10mm for his woods gun it seams to work for him .
I want a 10mm in 1911 but I don’t want to start loading another caliber, I would need a Dillon loading plate 10mm dies cases different projectiles maybe powder ?
I load all the common calibers now .
I have 9mm dies but gave my 9mm pistols away so I don’t have to load for it .
I allways wished I started in with 41m it a good compromise between 357 44m
I have done just that. S&W Mod. 58 was my first .41 Mag. I always tried to match the velocity of a hefty & hearty 10mm. loading. Figuring it would be easier on the revolver. 100’s of rounds later … I had a good gunsmith check out the entirety of it’s functions.
Timing Wise… he said “ Don’t touch it ; I wouldn’t do anything to it”.

·
Premium Member
4,084 Posts
Cheers as always! 🍻
I own a glock 40 MOS. I like the gun , but it’s a little large for EDC. I might buy a glock 20 or another 10mm I don’t feel super comfortable with the glock 40, I think the size and the fact that it’s forward heavy makes me less accurate than with a smaller gun.

·
Comm Monkey
659 Posts
I bought my Glock 40 about a month ago. I needed a 10 mm like I needed a hole in my head. Bought it anyhow. Love it. I have XL hands and it fits me fine. Steve Marshall above seemed to have made an odd comment about ammo varied greatly between manufacturers. Odd until you see Paul Harrell’s video comparing .40 cal vs.10mm. Federal 40 cal and 10mm were virtually the same.
I've found that quite a bit of 10mm ammo is actually in the same range as the hotter 40 S&W, I can only think that it's because a full power 10mm is not a soft shooting round in a standard sized handgun and I wouldn't want to try something like the HSM bear loads or Buffalo bore heavies in a Glock 29 but I'm sure it could be done. I will say the the HSM in my Glock 40 is not bad at all but recoil tolerance is different for everyone and I still check my red dot every range session just to see if the loctite is holding (no issues so far).

Respectfully Submitted

·
Registered
367 Posts
I have a Gluck 20, 40, and a Colt Delta in 10 mm and I really like the round. The design was to reproduce a 41 Mag energy in a semi auto and given the wide variety of bullets available it is a great choice for defense from critters biped or quadaped.

1 - 20 of 61 Posts