Survivalist Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Wild Edibles Expert
10,167 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
.... you know the kind, sold for horse and cows and the like. Whole. Surely humans can it. Rehydrate then what? Is lime needed? Grind it as needed? Inquiring minds want to know 'cause it's cheap, $24 per 100 pounds.

·
Accuracy is Final
489 Posts
I store whole dried corn and grind it in my mill. You can grind it real fine for a flour or a bit courser for a corn meal. I have made some great cornbread and corn cakes(corn pancakes) with it so far.

·
Zomby Woof
14,237 Posts
might be a good idea to boil or heat it first, there might be bacteria that horses etc... can handle that we cannot. Your mileage may vary. That being said, it sounds like a great idea as long as you can keep it dry.

·
Hunter/Farmer
1,947 Posts
You can make hominy from that field corn.

Dissolve 2 heaping tbs of Mrs Wages Pickling lime into 2 qts of water.
Add 2 quarts of dried corn, stir and slow heat till the hulls slip off.
Drain and rinse several times in cold water while rubbing to release all the hulls.Rinse till the water is clear and all lime is gone.

I have not tried the above method yet, but I have made hominy with wood ash. It was purdy good, but had a slight smoky taste. Hopefully with Mrs Wages lime it will be a "cleaner" hominy. Walmart has it, and I scored 6 cans of it last fall when they had it on clearance for .50 a lb.

Lime treated corn is supposed to be more digestable,.....something about making the niacin more available.

I plan to make some masa out of it for tamales. I have been using Masa harina corn flour, but since I grow corn, free is alway better.:D:
I have saved enough corn shucks this year to last me for a couple of years of tamale making. Nothing better than CzechMex tamales.
I store the field corn in buckets in the freezer, because of those pesky corn weevils.

Reactions: Antiacus

·
Wild Edibles Expert
10,167 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I store whole dried corn and grind it in my mill. You can grind it real fine for a flour or a bit courser for a corn meal. I have made some great cornbread and corn cakes(corn pancakes) with it so far.
I've got a couple of mills and even a stone mortar and pestle. Where do you get large amounts of dry whole corn?

·
Wild Edibles Expert
10,167 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
might be a good idea to boil or heat it first, there might be bacteria that horses etc... can handle that we cannot. Your mileage may vary. That being said, it sounds like a great idea as long as you can keep it dry.
Good point though usually feed meets the same or higher standard than human food (no one wants people to do then again no one wants to lose a million dollar herd.) My plan is to can it then freeze it, to kill any possible bugs.

·
Y2K Veteran
274 Posts
Put it out for bait, then bag a nice deer! Pretty good return on investment to get about 40 lbs of fresh meat by putting out about 5 lbs of corn at a time. I'm talking about survival times here, not general hunting, so please save the flames!

I've had corn nuts from Amish country that are roasted and salted, pretty good snacking food.

·
Registered
1,853 Posts
If t'were me I'd repackage it in smaller quantities, which is kind of an obvious thing to do with it, and vac-pac it and freeze it for 48 hrs; hard to eat 100 lbs. that quick.

Here's a good recipe for cornbread; this is the one I make all the time and it uses the coarser grind you might get from doing it yourself:

Mix wets and drys separately, pour into a well greased 8 or 9 inch square pan, and bake at 425 for 20 - 25 minutes or until tested done: drys: 1 1/2 c. yellow cornmeal, 1/2 c. white flour, 1/2 t. baking soda, 2 t. baking powder; wets: 1 egg, beaten, 1 c. sour cream, milk or yogurt [I use yogurt], and 1/4 c. melted butter. Rich enough that you can eat without anything on it; great with split pea soup, chili or the like.

·
Wild Edibles Expert
10,167 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
If t'were me I'd repackage it in smaller quantities, which is kind of an obvious thing to do with it, and vac-pac it and freeze it for 48 hrs; hard to eat 100 lbs. that quick.
Oh yeah, been repackaging and putting in the freezer... got to kill of future generations of insect life. Thanks for the recipe.

·
Registered
4,090 Posts
Well,when I want corn,I drive around when they start harvesting. I set my truck up,so all I have to do is pull up under the auger,and it pours in. I look for a combine,pull in the field,when the farmer pulls around,I ask,"hey,can you get me $40 worth" or whatever,and they either say yes or no,usually yes.I carry a big tarp,to line my box,so grains won't spill thu the tailgate cracks.Sometimes,its just a hired hand,who doesn't care a whole lot about market price,just sees the money as a case of beer after work,and they load you right up.Old frugal farmers give you a trickle.

·
Registered
456 Posts
You can make hominy from that field corn.

Dissolve 2 heaping tbs of Mrs Wages Pickling lime into 2 qts of water.
Add 2 quarts of dried corn, stir and slow heat till the hulls slip off.
Drain and rinse several times in cold water while rubbing to release all the hulls.Rinse till the water is clear and all lime is gone.

I have not tried the above method yet, but I have made hominy with wood ash. It was purdy good, but had a slight smoky taste. Hopefully with Mrs Wages lime it will be a "cleaner" hominy. Walmart has it, and I scored 6 cans of it last fall when they had it on clearance for .50 a lb.

Lime treated corn is supposed to be more digestable,.....something about making the niacin more available.

I plan to make some masa out of it for tamales. I have been using Masa harina corn flour, but since I grow corn, free is alway better.:D:
I have saved enough corn shucks this year to last me for a couple of years of tamale making. Nothing better than CzechMex tamales.
I store the field corn in buckets in the freezer, because of those pesky corn weevils.
Interesting! I want to eat at your house some time.

·
Accuracy is Final
489 Posts
Straight Razor...Honeyville Grains is the cheapest place I have found for me, but I live hundreds of miles from anywhere so I have to mail order almost everything. They have the best price/shipping combination, and I searched around alot.

·
Wild Edibles Expert
10,167 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Straight Razor...Honeyville Grains is the cheapest place I have found for me, but I live hundreds of miles from anywhere so I have to mail order almost everything. They have the best price/shipping combination, and I searched around alot.
How about the local feed store, whole corn for animals is field corn, quite edible, cheap because it ain't uniform and pretty.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts