Survivalist Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
491 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My 10 year old son Rusty wanted me to post a couple of pictures of the fishing knife he made. It is made from a sawzall blade with part of the saw teeth left on for a scaler.He wanted to do it himself and did except for grinding the bevel for the edge which I helped with.
007.jpg 008.jpg

·
Darting from the shadows
5,760 Posts
Very impressive, and a great idea to keep the teeth partially on for a scaler.

What is the handle made of?
It's a very nice color.

Reactions: rhart

·
I love this *****
33,879 Posts
The apple doesn't fall far from the tree, eh rhart? Better than I could have done and you can tell him so.

·
Registered
491 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Very impressive, and a great idea to keep the teeth partially on for a scaler.

What is the handle made of?
It's a very nice color.
I think the wood is either bloodwood or redheart.I am not sure which.

My son was really impressed that someone from New Zealand had seen and commented on his knife.

Thanks

·
Darting from the shadows
5,760 Posts
I think the wood is either bloodwood or redheart.I am not sure which.

My son was really impressed that someone from New Zealand had seen and commented on his knife.

Thanks
Hahaha, cheers mate.
So when is he gonna try it out?
I wanna see a review. :thumb:

·
Registered
491 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
What was used for the handle? Was it recycled from something else or fresh wood purchased for the sole purpose of making a handle?
I turn wooden pens and pencils and this was a piece of wood that I had bought for a pen blank.Since you only need a small piece of wood to turn a pen, you can get a lot of exotic wood that either isn't available are is very expensive in large peices.

·
Come quickly Lord
2,049 Posts
Niiiiice! Care to send him up to Illinois to teach me? :D:

·
Earthwalker.
10,287 Posts
Id be very proud of that young man,what a good job he made of that knife,i like the saw back and the way he pinned the handle to the tang.

Good job,well done if you ask me.:thumb:

Very impressive,it looks like an English deck knife but with a bit extra.:D:

Attachments

·
Semper non compos mentis
1,578 Posts
Excellent job Mate. A+ Well done. Make sure to post pics from your future projects.
Greetings from Downunder.

·
V
21,713 Posts
:wow

Now see, theres a reason why someone like me doesnt post a piccies of his little efforts, and thats because someone like your son would make them seem more pathetic :thumb:.

I can see a real talent in the making there, as sticks said very similar to the Green River Deck knife, hobby or future career?

1 - 20 of 21 Posts