Survivalist Forum banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Eclectic
1,894 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The most severe hurricane in history is headed for the west coast of Mexico it is expected to make landfall this evening 10/23/15. This weekend rains will move east across southern Texas and then to Louisiana, producing up to 12 inches of rain in the Houston area. Here is a link to the Weather Channel:

http://www.weather.com/news/weather/video/patricias-effect-on-us

Areas from Dallas to Corpus Christi can expect 5 - 8 inches of rain.

·
Apocaloptimist
2,708 Posts
They are predicting 5-10 inches of rain in my area with pockets of 12+ inches. It only takes 3 inches of rain to flood us out. When we flooding in May, houses were swept down river and they are still trying to find bodies to this day...

·
Eclectic
1,894 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
They are predicting 5-10 inches of rain in my area with pockets of 12+ inches. It only takes 3 inches of rain to flood us out. When we flooding in May, houses were swept down river and they are still trying to find bodies to this day...
Have you got any place else you can go for a few days?

·
Apocaloptimist
2,708 Posts
Have you got any place else you can go for a few days? But
I guess when I said "us: above, I meant the people in my area. I'm good to go. I live right in between 2 of the rivers that are going to flood, but I live on high ground. I have a creek that runs through the back of property that will fill up but its never had more than 8 feet of water in it. It will take about 200 feet to get to my house and then my slab is 7 foot thick so no worries. Its the folks that live right on the water that will suffer most.

I might get flooded in for a couple of days where i can't reach town, but Im set to weather that minor inconvenience.

·
Eclectic
1,894 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
This is from our County EOC...

Nevermind....it will not let me upload photos..
You can upload the photo to your photo album in your personal profile, and then use the link the system provides to display the photo in your message.

·
Registered
3,402 Posts
I hope we don't get a lot of rain today that will load the ground up with water. If that does not happen, we can most likely get by without any in the house flooding.

Time to charge up the batteries.

·
Registered
10,089 Posts
We're used to flooding around the Houston area... I'm more concerned with our neighbors to the west where they are likely to have flash flooding. And anyone along the coast of Mexico... be safe!
Where's the moon at right now. Makes a difference in the flooding depending on how high the tides are. I know because I lived in lake Jackson for 10 years. It's about 9 feet above sea level, where Houston is about 50..

·
Eclectic
1,894 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Where's the moon at right now. Makes a difference in the flooding depending on how high the tides are. I know because I lived in lake Jackson for 10 years. It's about 9 feet above sea level, where Houston is about 50..
Moon phase is waxing gibbous. Full moon is due next Tuesday.

·
Crazy Cat Lady
Plan to Alamo at home.
16,318 Posts
I'm at over 100 feet above sea level (had to get an elevation certificate and flood insurance). The house did flood during Allison but that was remarkable.

Generally, around here (NW) the streets fill up, the houses stay dry.

It's going to delay some street evangelism, is all.

God willing no loss of life, no significant property damage.

·
Registered
3,402 Posts
We stay over here in the Galleria area near Bellaire. When Braes Bayou fills up its flood time. But, it has really been dried up over the last couple of weeks around here. So maybe, the ground will absorb a good bit of the water if the thing sits over us like during Allison?

·
Banned
9,794 Posts
Yeah I was delayed for hours coming back from Tampa today.

No rain all summer and now this.

·
Ordinary Average Guy
1,023 Posts
I'm about 2 hours NE of Houston. I live in a low spot, but it takes a Rita like event for the back yard to flood, and even that did not get to the house.
Just the same, I checked the pantry this morning and picked up a few things to fill some holes. All things considered, I will fill the water jugs tonight as well. No sense boiling/filtering since I have adequate warning. (Worst case, I will dump them into the horse trough next week)

Dreamed last night that I was standing at the back door with the .22 shooting snakes as they swim toward the house. Could be fun.

·
Getting There!
11,458 Posts
I'm not sure how much wind, tornadoes and such it's going to be packing after crossing that much land, but Katrina, Rita and Ike all caused long term power outages this far (155 miles) inland.

·
Crazy Cat Lady
Plan to Alamo at home.
16,318 Posts
I don't think any of us need to worry about the wind, cyclonic type activity.

Training thunderstorms? Yeah, good concern, especially since they have that other low in play nearby.

We have to work tomorrow; taking Metrolift. It could be interesting if Metro kills the service like they did back in May. They took us, left us to find our own way home. Not fun.

Thank God he is out of the wheelchair. The cab drivers interested in that sort of trip know I fold and put the walker in the trunk so they don't even have to do that, and we're good tippers - we try to build our credibility before the severe weather event.

"I am a good tipper" is not very powerful.

"Oh, they gave me a good tip last time" much more so.

That's my flood issue - transit.

·
Gig 'em, Aggies!
99 Posts
I already don't like Houston. Can't wait to graduate and get the hell out of here. Gotta put up with the storms while I'm here though. Good learning experiences.

·
Banned
17,612 Posts
I don't need to do anything prep-wise but I always worry about family and friends who live in Houston and Alvin. But.....they choose to live there and I can't do anything about that.

Going to pick all the ripe citrus tomorrow, it will keep in the refrigerator for a couple weeks. Might as well get it down while I can.

I wanted to plant wildflower seeds but I think I'll wait until after the rains, that would be better than them washing away.

Y'all further south of me be careful and watchful. Water comes up awfully fast sometimes---especially when storm drains are clogged with trash and debris.

·
Registered
11 Posts
We're in shreveport, NW Louisiana, they're calling for up to 8 inches here with isolated areas of even more. We've filled all our jugs and grabbed a few essentials and some snacks, hoping its a no power outage movie marathon weekend here. Best wishes to everyone!

1 - 20 of 34 Posts