Survivalist Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Hit 1st or get Hit 1st
155 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Here is my heavily modified, super sexified, just finished 10/22 Take Down.

Tactical Solutions threaded barrel w/ Hogue over mold stock. (The bipod in this pic is a Harris and the sling a Talon)

Volquartsen drop in trigger (2.5lbs)

Kidd bolt with charging handle / springs / bolt buffer

Mueller Optics 4.5-14x40mm, AO Flex Reticle APV (w sunshade)
mounted with Leapers UTG rings on a Monstrum rail.

Everything listed above plus standard 10 round mags with Tak Driver bumper mag extensions & BX25 mags /mag covers

Before and after.
The only part that was carried over from the 1st Ruger was the receiver, which pretty much makes this a brand new gun. That wasn't my original plan, I spent way more than I wanted, but I think it came out nice.

Before the end of the year my 22lr can should be released from NFA hell. When that happens, this gun will be complete.

If this thread gets any interest, I'll post the accuracy info when I shoot it this week / weekend.

Most parts bought at:
Amazon.com
Brownells.com
kiddinnovativedesign.com
OpticsPlanet.com
Tandemkross.com

·
Hit 1st or get Hit 1st
155 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Messed up the title. Any chance a mod can change it to:
10/22 Takedown, upgrade, build, pics.

If so, thanks
If not, oh well :)

·
Hit 1st or get Hit 1st
155 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Is your Tacsol threaded. Doesn't look like it, but can't tell.
I like it. How did you get stock that color?
Yup on the threaded. Not having a threaded barrel on the original is what got me into this mess. Once I found that stock it just snowballed and i found myself saying "well, I might as well."

The stock came in this color or black with a silver barrel. Green has my vote hands down.

·
Registered
6,445 Posts
How do you like those iron sights? What brand are they?

What does your rifle weigh out at without the scope mounted?

I would be interested in your range report.

Nice looking rifle:thumb:

·
Super Moderator and Walking Methane Refinery
67,168 Posts
Messed up the title. Any chance a mod can change it to:
10/22 Takedown, upgrade, build, pics.

If so, thanks
If not, oh well :)
I just spotted your post and edited the title for you.

The quickest way is to click the little red and white triangle in the upper right corner. That's how you report a post. Then just let us know what you want done. This sends it directly to us rather than hoping one of us stumble across it. :thumb:

BTW, those Tacsol barrels are competition grade accurate! I have several of them and their MK II barreled receiver and I'm pleased with them all.

·
Registered
6,445 Posts
Your aware you coulda bought one with a factory threaded barrel... right?:D:

Ruger model 11112 to be exact, although this model came out later. It sports a 16.5 in standard weight tube. I have 3 of them, but am interested in this one for another M14 training rifle project I have in the works that involves being suppressed.

Houge does put out a stock for a takedown model with std weight tube.....fwiw

Which brings up another question....
How did the rifle shoot before any mods were done to it? It would be an interesting before and after comparison.

·
Hit 1st or get Hit 1st
155 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
How do you like those iron sights? What brand are they?

What does your rifle weigh out at without the scope mounted?

I would be interested in your range report.

Nice looking rifle:thumb:
I'm unsure on the weight, I believe the barrel is lighter than the stock one but the stock is heavier. The balance on the gun feels better because of it.

Those sights are night and day better than the standard ones. Having a fiber optic front makes it a lot easier to see. I'm very impressed with them.

·
Hit 1st or get Hit 1st
155 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I just spotted your post and edited the title for you.

The quickest way is to click the little red and white triangle in the upper right corner. That's how you report a post. Then just let us know what you want done. This sends it directly to us rather than hoping one of us stumble across it. :thumb:

BTW, those Tacsol barrels are competition grade accurate! I have several of them and their MK II barreled receiver and I'm pleased with them all.
Thanks for the pro tip on fixing my mistakes. Much appreciated :)

·
Hit 1st or get Hit 1st
155 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Your aware you coulda bought one with a factory threaded barrel... right?:D:
That's actually how this mess started. I ordered a 22lr can and didn't have a 22lr gun with a threaded barrel. While searching Ebay for threaded barrels I came across this beautiful mess. When all was said and done, I spent over 5 times my original plan, but i think she's pretty.

Girl wasn't as impressed :) ...women

·
Hit 1st or get Hit 1st
155 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Which brings up another question....
How did the rifle shoot before any mods were done to it? It would be an interesting before and after comparison.
Honestly I wish I knew. I've been neglecting my takedown since I bought it. It's partly because I have other guns I equally enjoy and partly because I never liked the trigger. About two weeks ago I bought my youngest a new Savage Rascal 22lr, bolt gun. That thing is awesome. After buying it, I wanted to shoot 22lr beside him, so I broke it back out.

·
Hit 1st or get Hit 1st
155 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Very pretty rifle.

How does it group? Lets see some performance pics.
So far I can't get what i was hoping for. I'd say it's around 1.5" at 75 yards. I've attempted a cheap man's bedding (aka aluminum tape on the receiver). It didn't seem to help. If I can't get this gun to shoot at least MOA I'm going to bed it correctly.

I'm also trying to figure out if shooting with the bipod hurts it's accuracy. Since the forward grip of the stock is attached to the barrel, this may be applying a strange pressure to it.

Lots of trial and error to come. When I get some more info, I'll definitely post it. It has to shoot better than this

(I did have one three shot group with all holes touching, but that miracle only happened once)

·
Registered
5,282 Posts
So far I can't get what i was hoping for. I'd say it's around 1.5" at 75 yards. I've attempted a cheap man's bedding (aka aluminum tape on the receiver). It didn't seem to help. If I can't get this gun to shoot at least MOA I'm going to bed it correctly.

I'm also trying to figure out if shooting with the bipod hurts it's accuracy. Since the forward grip of the stock is attached to the barrel, this may be applying a strange pressure to it.

Lots of trial and error to come. When I get some more info, I'll definitely post it. It has to shoot better than this

(I did have one three shot group with all holes touching, but that miracle only happened once)
Try a few different types/brands/weights of ammo and see if the gun prefers something different. Certain twist rates paired with barrel length affect bullets different ways. I would do that first before putting any more work into it.

You don't have to bed a hogue overmold stock. The stock was built to free float the barrel for maximum accuracy. If because this is a take down gun the stock must be attached, then there will be simply nothing you can do about it. Extreme accuracy guns don't allow anything to touch the barrel and the action is the only thing bedded.

Its said that shooting a .22LR at 300yds is similar to shooting a .308 at 1000yds. Ballistics speaking.

So 1.5" at 75yds isn't really that bad. Grouping at 100yds would give you a better feel for how its performing. I'm only getting a little bit better accuracy out of my 10/22, and I all I did was switch out the barrel and stock.

What torque did you tighten the barrel bolts to when you installed the new barrel?

Attachments

·
Hit 1st or get Hit 1st
155 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Try a few different types/brands/weights of ammo and see if the gun prefers something different. Certain twist rates paired with barrel length affect bullets different ways. I would do that first before putting any more work into it.

You don't have to bed a hogue overmold stock. The stock was built to free float the barrel for maximum accuracy. If because this is a take down gun the stock must be attached, then there will be simply nothing you can do about it. Extreme accuracy guns don't allow anything to touch the barrel and the action is the only thing bedded.

Its said that shooting a .22LR at 300yds is similar to shooting a .308 at 1000yds. Ballistics speaking.

So 1.5" at 75yds isn't really that bad. Grouping at 100yds would give you a better feel for how its performing. I'm only getting a little bit better accuracy out of my 10/22, and I all I did was switch out the barrel and stock.

What torque did you tighten the barrel bolts to when you installed the new barrel?
Paramilusmc my man,
That is a sweet looking 10/22 right there.

I don't believe the takedown model utilizes barrel bolts. It has a different locking system where you insert the barrel into this device and turn.

(Pic from the interwebs)

When I talk about bedding the firearm I'm only referring to the receiver / rear part of the stock. The front will stay the way it is.

Your suggestions on trying different ammo is a great idea and one I plan on giving a go. Unfortunately the ammo selection isn't the best at the moment :) , but I'm on it.

Where did you buy that cheek riser and how nervous where you drilling into that pretty stock? I'm thinking I need to do the same.

·
Banned
46,784 Posts
When we do / sponsor our "Women On Target" - free safety training's --- every so often they bring their grandfather's bolt action 90 year old .22's or some other rifle that hasn't seen the light of day in a few life times ;)

We're seeing more & more brand new take-downs :thumb:

I just may get one myself :eek:

1 - 20 of 21 Posts