Survivalist Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
3,363 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Was at a gun show a few months back and a friend bought a Ruger 10/22. (I prefer Marlin 22's) He wanted some 20-30 round mags. for it. As we walked around you can guess what happen. Some swore the red hot lips was the best others claimed the ones with the metal lips were. So whats your opinion? Or does it matter? Would like your thoughts on the Best mags.for the 10/22. Anyone here ever use those large cap. round/ drum magazines?

·
Preparing since 1972
5,612 Posts
Can't say from personal experience but friends with 10/22's say the steel lipped are the best....Do a Google search for 10/22 forums and you will come up with a great site for info...

·
Doubts Most Everything
5,618 Posts
Hot lips will wear out of course.

I have 4 steel lips that work very well indeed, with a good blast of silicone spray lube up in them now and then.

Tactical Innovations makes the very best, though.

- OS

·
Registered
142 Posts
My hot lips mags are allright, but they cause a few jams. I would say one jam every few mags. Not too bad I guess.

The factory mags are much more reliable.

Dont know about steel lips, I dont feel like forking out the extra dough when I rarely use anything but the 10 rounders. Either mag is just too big for any real use on such a compact light gun. But they are fun to plink with.

·
Freedom Patriot
295 Posts
METAL METAL METAL. The Butler creek are the way to go. The Tac. Innovation are probably good but their like $70. The steel lips are what you want spend the extra $10. Ive owned the steel ones for awhile and thought Id give the hot lips a try cause people said theyre alright... OH heck no I only shoot Remington golden bullets and it jams about every 3-5 shots. STEEL ALL THE WAY ALL DAY

·
Human bean of planet Urf
4,863 Posts
So whats your opinion? Or does it matter?
Got a box full of those cute snap together ten rounders with the red hot lips. The first one worked so well I bought a bunch more. They never give me any heartache. No more nor no less reliable than the box full of Ruger ten rounders that sits right beside them on the shelf.

The only mags I ever had probs with that couldn't be remedied are those damnable fifty round teardrops that you have to wind on the back. Those are crap, plain and simple. Maybe they work for someone somewhere....they didn't for me.

rich

·
born to be riled
226 Posts
I have several of both. They both work pretty good but I've had more jams with the steel lips than with the hot lips plastic ones.
I haven't had any problems with the plastic ones wearing out. I used the plastic ones for a couple years and then got some of the steel ones and was a little disappointed with the amount of jams the steel ones were having but they are ok.

·
Doubts Most Everything
5,618 Posts
... The tac. Innovation are probably good but their like $70. ..
ti25 machined aluminum steel lip magazine for ruger 10/22 machined aluminum steel lip
magazine for ruger 10/22
$59.99

ti25 advanced composite steel lip magazine for ruger 10/22 advanced composite steel lip magazine for ruger 10/22
$39.99

ti25 polycarb adjustable magazine
for ruger 10/22
$17.99

- OS

·
Registered
132 Posts
Another vote for metal if you're going to count on 'em.

I use some cheap Eagle 30 rounders for plinking. Never had a FTF but I can see there is wear on the two magazines I use versus the pair I kept new in their bag. I should have sold them when the AWB brought their price from $15 up to $70! :D:

·
Sorry About Your Feelings
20,836 Posts
Steel is much better IMHO.
After prolonged use, plastic will wear out much faster than steel.

Remember that any magazine needs breaking in, put a couple hundred rounds through it to be sure. :thumb:

Reactions: joes
1 - 13 of 13 Posts