Survivalist Forum banner

1 - 20 of 347 Posts

·
Registered
218 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I really dont have a defensive rifle, all of them are for hunting most are bolt action or single shot. the two semi auto higher caliber rifles i do have have mounted scopes, so thats a no go for home defense( I live in an urban area). however i do have a ruger 10/22, Do you think that this could be a good defensive rifle for home defense if i have a couple butler creek 25 round mags and load them with cci mini mag?

·
Rebel till the day i die.
292 Posts
I unno man, if i got hit by a 22. round, id probably just get ****ed. (unless im hit in the right spot) So unless your a damn good shot i dunno man. I thought about having a 10/22 for the same thing and decided on getting probably a marlin 336

·
Off-roadie
895 Posts
Go CCI stingers hallow points and pick up one of those rock and roll how-too manuals (not that i recommend doing anything less than legal) but honestly army's don't fight with 22lr's do, why would you other than you can carry an amazing amount of ammo?

·
Maximus
12,320 Posts
I really dont have a defensive rifle, all of them are for hunting most are bolt action or single shot. the two semi auto higher caliber rifles i do have have mounted scopes, so thats a no go for home defense( I live in an urban area).
I dont see why a hunting rifle cant make a good HD weapon. Mounted scopes dont have to rule it out as a HD weapon at all. If it bothers you that much, you can get a quick detachable scope mount. Then put the scope on when you are about to go out for a hunt.

I think you already have a lot better options right now than the 10/22. A .22 as a self defense rifle (imo) can be used, but when there are no other options. I would prefer a bolt action .308 than a semi auto .22 anyday for HD.

·
I am Defendor
1,738 Posts
there has been a bunch of study by the south africans on the effects of various rounds.
Look it up
basically only a long center fired weapon shot gun or rifle is near 100% effective with a torso shot.
Look it up i have no doubt the south africans shot people to see what happens.
a 22lr is about 15% effective
but this is a single shot
so it 15% but if you shoot a guy 10 times?
so look up the south african statistics

·
I am Defendor
1,738 Posts
also it does not really matter what caliber a center fire rifle bullet is at close range if you make a hit according to the south africans it always stops them cold

·
Premium Member
358 Posts
With good shot placemrnt a .22 would work. Problem is getting that good placement in a defensive situation. A hunting rifle would be ok if the rounds didn"t over penetrate. You might want to look around for a cheap 12ga.(H&R,NEF,etc.) You would be surprised how fast you can reload even a single shot with practice. During the civil war muzzel loaders were fired as fast as 3 times per minute by well trained solders.

·
www.GuerillaTactical.com
1,446 Posts
No handgun? I would go with one of your hunting rifles honestly. Or get a shotgun. Shotgun is best because most of the energy will be dispersed into the target. A HP rifle may go right through and not expend much of its energy on the target. Also you dont want over penetration in a CQB in and urban environment.

Just my 2c

·
Premium Member
12,364 Posts
I really dont have a defensive rifle, all of them are for hunting most are bolt action or single shot. the two semi auto higher caliber rifles i do have have mounted scopes, so thats a no go for home defense( I live in an urban area). however i do have a ruger 10/22, Do you think that this could be a good defensive rifle for home defense if i have a couple butler creek 25 round mags and load them with cci mini mag?
intresting, there seems of late a whole bunch of folks thinking about a .22 semi-auto for HD......

i will answer your question this way: when i was a kid growing up it seemend like everyone kept a loaded .22 rifle in the closet JIC.......

·
I am Defendor
1,738 Posts
what rhino says is true about a rifle if you live in populated area overpenetration could be a big problem
I would not pick a 22 for home defense
if you have to use deadly force it is because the other person is also attempting to use it in you.
shot guns are the best pick especially in the city

·
I am Defendor
1,738 Posts
If all you have is a 10/22 I would not lose sleep tonight over being under protected. even if everything goes wrong tonight a hit with a 22 is still a hit.
There is mucho mucho exageration all the way around about wound ballistics mostly by ammo manufacturers wanting there bullet to magical over all the others.
The fact of the matter is a 22lr can kill a person just as dead as a .50 cal just not as fast. Dead in the end is dead.
you are in the same situation I am in you have people living all around you so a powerful hand gun like a .44 mag or using a 7.62 X 39 in a AK or SKS is bad idea. The 12 gauge shot gun in this case works out very well for home defense.
I would not run out tonight and buy one because the 22lr would just make a bad guy mad or what ever as if 22 lr just bounce off people or only go in a 1" or what ever.
In the end the weapon that can save you will be the one you can use effectively and that you have.

·
Gettin By
1,405 Posts
It's funny when I see quotes from people saying something to the effect that if they were shot with a .22lr it would just **** them off. I guess they never meet any of these guys then, because they use the 10/22 and have without a doubt been there and done that. But hey, what do they know.

Attachments

·
Doubts Most Everything
5,618 Posts
The fact of the matter is a 22lr can kill a person just as dead as a .50 cal just not as fast. Dead in the end is dead...
Yep.
But of course, before he's dead, he kills you, your children, your dog ...

If you think about your statement in the context of self defense, surely you'll find the fallacy in it.

- OS

·
142 Posts
Originally Posted by jimnan88
The fact of the matter is a 22lr can kill a person just as dead as a .50 cal just not as fast. Dead in the end is dead...

·
RESET CONGRESS!!
9,462 Posts
I had a friend.. killed his wife with one shot from a .22 rifle. He eventually died in prison.
Ugh.
Nasty point being. A .22 can kill a person.
Mafia used 'em.
Israeli commandos use 'em.
I use 'em. Squirrels and rabbits.

·
142 Posts
My Grandpa used to kill 300-400 lb. hogs with a single shot .22, one shot behind the ear,they would drop like a rock.That little round would enter the skull and just spin around scrambling the brain. I would not lose sleep over having a .22 for home defense,people underestimate it,but it is very capable of punching airholes in a human body,just be proficient because shot placement is everything

·
pack light, move quietly.
556 Posts
Whatcha got stew.

When you make whatcha got stew, you are hungry and use whatever you have to make it. Almost every time I've eaten this concoction I would have rather had a Rib-Eye. However whatcha got stew filled the hole. If I had to choose between my hunting rifles and my 22Lr, I would choose my 22lr, because my kids live at the opposite end of my hall. However Mr. Scattergun stays in the room with me and I have my trusty nine. Use what you have to the best of your ability and work towards a better tool for the job. If you need to use your 22lr, don't double tap, shoot until the threat is neutralized. Great thread by the way, valid question. I like this one better than some, good debatable question. Thanks for letting me weigh in.

Rob

·
Ringin Your Gong From 600
7,683 Posts
While the power of the .22 at times cannot be questioned, in this scenario things are a bit different...

He's not 'sniping' if someone breaks in. He won't be sitting 20 yards away, carefully taking aim.

He probably will not be able to stick the rifle up to the side of the bad guy's head, like they do with pigs.

Ideal? Probably not.

That said, if he rounds the corner and an intruder is standing there, it wouldn't take much to get 10 rounds in him. I'm sure that would be a pretty good start...just pray the bad guy isn't weaing a flack jacket or a heavy coat. :eek:

1 - 20 of 347 Posts