Survivalist Forum banner
1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Prep and be calm
464 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have some dry beans stored in a 5 gallon bucket that has been kept in a cool place (cellar like under my house) for over 10 years, could be 15. They were not stored using any nitrogen or O2 absorbers, just put in the sealed bucket (in 1lb bags). I just checked them and they appear fine, no damage, mold or changes in the bags. I wonder whether they are ok to use.

I also have a bucket of oats. I think the oats are not very good any more, they do not have a fresh taste but I rather imagine they wouldn't be harmful to eat. They are also dry, no mold or bugs.

Comments?

·
Banned
8,012 Posts
probly most on here will say throw it all out dont take a chance, cuz i mean thats what survivalism is all about right? being a worry wart and tossing good food cuz you heard it might give someone the squirts?

·
Here's my safety Sir
14,677 Posts
test cook and rotate

·
Registered
969 Posts
probly most on here will say throw it all out dont take a chance, cuz i mean thats what survivalism is all about right? being a worry wart and tossing good food cuz you heard it might give someone the squirts?
Discretion will keep you alive and healthy.

Better to just rotate the stuff out(eat it) while better food is available to replace it with.

·
I have control issues
7,112 Posts
The beans should be just fine. As far as the oats....are they "rolled" oats? If so, thy're probably safe to eat, but a bit "stale". For long-term storage, it's better if grains are stored in their "whole" form. (i.E. wheat "berries", oat groats, etc.) Once grains are processed, they lose their flavor and nutrients more quickly. If left "whole", however, they can store pretty much indefinitely, as long as they stay sealed and dry.

·
Prep and be calm
464 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Rotate....Rotate!!
Of course I rotate. These were missed -- stored out of the way. Since they are dry i see no reason that they would be spoiled.

The oats are whole (except there are the inevitable broken pieces). And you are right -- they taste a bit stale. Not sure they are worth it but the beans may be fine. They look quite ok.

·
Survivalist
3,242 Posts
Yea I agree on the beans, they are still good, as for the other stuff that might be bad mark it and keep it in a designated area but don't throw it away.

Use it for pigs or other such stuff or when someone robs you they can take the bad stuff that isn't as hidden as well as you good stock pile

·
Premium Member
68,758 Posts
First off, use your nose. If you smell rancidity, toss it. If not, test cook a batch. I'm willing to bet the oats are rancid. They just don't store as long, especially without an O2 absorber. But I think rice would be fine. Beans would be ok to eat, if they will soften. Beans dry out as they age and won't soften when boiled. You might try pressure cooking. If they still won't soften, I'd toss them. They're edible, but the only way you can use them is to grind them before cooking.

·
Premium Member
9,224 Posts

·
Prep and be calm
464 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
They may have lost their fresh taste, but they should be just fine to eat. Why not try to germinate some and find out more about old grain and beans.
Yes, I thought about trying to germinate them. That would be an interesting test of quality. Its not a huge quantity, just half of a bucket of oats (5 gallon) and a bucket of white beans.

I'll report back.

·
Tested in the Wilderness
6,806 Posts
I also have a 50 pound bag of pinto beans that has been sealed, with some other food such as a 5 gallon bucket of wheat etc., in a 55 gallon steel drum. And this drum has been stored on a pallet on my remote mtn retreat since 1999.

This summer I have to open it up and use as much of this food as possible. Next winter I will tell how all that works out.
With the beans I will probably soak them for a day or so and then boil them well. Possibly mixing some fresh beans with them.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.