Survivalist Forum banner
1 - 20 of 840 Posts

·
Banned
13,890 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
ANNOUNCING 1 ON THE RUN (alternatively titled 1 of a Gun)
Survivalist Board's second RPG.

Details coming tonight, but what it is a role playing game taking place in the same game world and time frame as 5 Will Survive, but on the East coast, specifically in that rotting scab of a city we all love to denigrate: New freaking York.

The game is open for one player at a time, will be very hard, and dovetails into the other RPG, so that the character from 1 on the Run eventually meets up with the 5 Alivers (if any survive, that is).

I'll be pm'ing people who were on the wait list for 5 Will Survive to see if they have the chutzpah to go it alone, starting bare, as a 'detainee' in New FREAKING York. No weapons, no kit, no hope. Everything has to be scavenged and acquired, in a world gone completely insane.

SB members, do YOU have what it takes?

Again, more details this evening, as well as an explanation at to why a solo experience was chosen over a three person party. Will start PM'ing senior wait list people tonight.

Consider, if you will, the apocalypse.:)

·
Banned
13,890 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hi Roller of Ricks:)

I'll have to check the waitlist sheet to see. The first people will get a PM tonight. The 'good' news is that 1 on the Run (1 of a Gun), will be very hard going solo. Imagine the same encounters the 5 Alivers faced - but by yourself: The MiB car chase; the shootout at the gas station; the hand to hand against 3 escaped cons. Needless to say, this will be a true test of survival.

Potential players need to have a giant set of titanium balls (or, uh, ballettes) to face the apocalypse alone.

·
Banned
13,890 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
ANSWERS

-Why 1 on the Run instead of 3 Will be Free?
Primarily: time. I have zero of it. Writing for 5 Will survive has gone up to averaging 40 minutes to an hour per encounter/event. There's an incredible amount of charts and logistics that goes into everything (see the alternate discussion thread for further explanation about this). Already time management is squeezed to the max. Handling another 3 people, on the other side of the country, and accounting from everything to how much ammo they have to parasites they contracted drinking poo water would be impossible. I'd be tied to the computer for half a day.

Also, 1 on the Run can offer a different emotive tale, of solitude, and extreme survival, maximizing a person's ingenuity. Hopefully SB members who are reading the story for enjoyment will get a 'Truman Show'-type affection for the player as he/she uses his/her intelligence and industriousness to the utmost.

Finally, players will die faster, allowing other SB members to try their hand. (or maybe they won't, depending on how good they are at surviving)

Rules regarding player death and new player continuation to follow.

·
You're a daisy if ya do
2,035 Posts
The 5 team has had it rough, but this scenario is a killer. If you're chosen, you'd better be nothing more than a shadow, and turn a blind eye to everything except what will aid you in your escape and survival. Trust no one. Ruthless, cunning, and morals on hold, at least until you get off of Hell Island, IF you get off.

·
Registered
2,328 Posts
JC I assume when someone is killed the next person takes up where that one left off. I also assume that the skills will be the same for everyone. If it as dangerous as you say I believe most of us that want a chance will get one so I'm fine getting picked later. But I'd like to put in my vote for the skills first at least I feel that gives better odds. I'm an avid reader and the skills I'd want in the scenario you present are world class parkour, a car thief that knows and uses electronic gadgets. I ran across a fighting system somewhere that focuses on the bodies pressure points that I believe number about 240 with about 40 lethal.

Now for the reason I would choose those three; as a thief and one that uses electronics to steal (mostly cars) I should have some working knowledge of evasion and escape from constraints. I saw a youtube video of a guy hacking a car computer starting and stopping it from a distance. Getting to the west coast on foot will be almost impossible so wheeled transportation seems the way to go. Since I'm a successful car thief I should be a good driver. Parkour training is all about using the terrain as an asset in escape. The last is pressure point style of fighting similar to this: http://www.fightingarts.com/reading/article.php?id=430
the reason I reference pressure point is that strength is not an overriding factor in using it or at least I imagine so. To give me a smidgen of a chance I'd like to have a special forces tanto styled knife hidden on my body. Again this knife looks like it would be used for cutting (ateries) not stabbing though I'm guessing. And if you are feeling generous picking up a pistol gripped shotgun would be nice. I wouldn't need to be an expert shot.

I'd like to get in the game but I'd rather lobby for skills that I feel gives me a better chance when or if I do.

So there you go JC I can't help myself planning stuff out ahead and to me this seems to give me the best odds.

·
Banned
13,890 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
As with the 5 Alive team, I'm expecting complete openness and honesty when it comes to skills, age, gender and capabilities.

This is where SB's survival-based RPG's diverge from nerd gaming in mom's basement.

For the games here, it is actually more fun, and more meaningful if players play as their real selves.

It doesn't matter if you're worried about being overweight or have a bum knee. I'll pimp you out to make you look awesome anyway, AND living the post apocalyptic lifestyle has a fine way of making people fit, fast.

I mean it, friends. You will not enjoy the game if you're telling me you're a Navy SeAL, ultra marathon runner and black belt in BJJ. Doing this will remove your own unique personality from the game, and limit the growth potential. Plus, SB members who are just reading the games for fun will enjoy and root for you a lot more if you're just yourself.
The RPG's here on SB are catered for philosophical/mental/judgement training for contingencies, while still being fun. They're not meant to be 100% escapist, with flawless characters.

I run, workout and fight every week, and still I get my arse kicked by my training partners, trip over my shoelaces, and am an overall human dork. Personally if I were playing I'd rather be this dork than James Bond.

Okay, got to get to work but will PM waitlisted top three in a bit.

·
Banned
13,890 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Okay, the top three people on the waitlist have been PM'd to see if they want to be 'The One'. They are:
hawk55732
prepgal
carpenb94m

·
Banned
13,890 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
FURTHER UNDERSTANDING AND RULES OF 1 ON THE RUN

Player death.
Not fully decided yet, but for the moment is, the concept is that if/when a player dies, the next player on the wait list starts at the former player's last location, with either all their kit, or a dice roll to tell how much of the previous player's kit they can have.
... Or they may have to start with nothing, just like the original starting player.

Game Objective.
First, to stay alive as long as you can. However as the game progresses you'll understand your purpose, and the eventual plot and need to link up with the original 5 Alive (if any of them survive).

Patience.

Players will need to be patient. With the inclusion of map locations, and players travelling, plus an increase in psychological/physical stats monitoring, things will be harder and longer for me to narrate, and there may be some typos or geographical mistakes.

Please, do not get angry if I didn't mentioned the Burger King beside the exit corridor going out of Manhattan :rolleyes:

More details and rules to be posted. Just awaiting a confirmation for a victim...uh... I mean, volunteer.:)

·
Wannabe Mountain Hermit
14,762 Posts
My goodness JC you are gonna be busy. Are you sure you can handle it? :)

I didnt realize this was a role playing game. When I was in 8th grade I wrote a little western and I included everybody in my English class.

It went over so well that those same people, over 30 years later, that I have managed to link with on Facebook has brought it up saying they still remember that from 8th grade. :D:

In my high school annual where they have the "most likely to" page I was "most likely to" become a writer.

I really wish I had.

·
Banned
13,890 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Copy that.
TinmanIA and JCYoung are on the waitlist. Thank you for your interest in the game and story.

1 - 20 of 840 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.