Survivalist Forum banner
1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Firearm Enthusiast
367 Posts
He beat Hathcock, but he took multiple shots to hit the target. I don't know the story behind Hathcock's longest shot or the Ranger's longest shot, did they need to do the same?

·
Adventurer
19,333 Posts
they said that he was 1000yds away they probbably ment meters
1 mile = 5280 feet
1000 meters = 3 280.8399 feet
not a mile
I beliefe a canadian sniper in afganistan holds the record for longest kill

Reactions: joes

·
Preparing since 1972
5,612 Posts
For those that are learning about Carlos Hathcock he was a master at concealment...Read about how he was right in the middle of several hundred north vietnamese army regulars.......

·
Registered
11 Posts
These guys are talented! They know what they are doing. It's a matter of what the weapon and round is capable of, not them. I spent 6 years in the USMC, and have worked with the Snipers. Another thing to remember is that the "spotter" is 100% as talented as the sniper, if not slightly more. In most cases, they are just not able to put the technique to the weapon. Whatever it may be. It is a 2 man team, and a sniper truely needs his spotter to be effective. I don't mean to take anything away from the snipers either, they are different breed. Ever think about where they go to the bathroom when they are laying motionless for 52 hours straight?

·
Information is Ammunition
22,122 Posts
Wow, thats some serious ammo....

Is it like a Sabot round ?
A sabot is just a stabilizer that takes up the inside of a barrel and falls away, revealing a smaller projectile. Shot cups are technically sabots.

As used, I think the concrete spall was probably as deadly as the kinetic penetrator.

from Wiki:

The Raufoss Mk.211 - is a .50 caliber BMG (12.7x99mm NATO) multipurpose anti-materiel projectile originally developed by the Norwegian company NAMMO Raufoss AS under the model name NM140 MP. It is commonly referred to as simply multipurpose or Raufoss. The "Mk.211" name comes from the nomenclature "Mk.211 Mod 0" used by the U.S. military for this round.

The multipurpose name is based on the projectile having an armor-piercing (tungsten core), an explosive, and an incendiary component, thus making it capable of penetrating lightly armored targets and causing damage to personnel inside the target after penetration. It is a suitable round for engaging helicopters, aircraft and lightly armored vehicles, as well as unarmored vehicles, and it has the capability of igniting jet fuel. The Mk.211 has about the same destructive power as a standard 20 mm round against such targets.[1]

The Mk.211 has become very popular as .50 cal sniper ammunition, for use in the Barrett M82 rifle, as well as other .50 BMG rifles. It is also often used in heavy machine guns, for example the M2 Browning. Due to its popularity several U.S. arms manufacturers produce the round under license from NAMMO Raufoss AS.

"A McMillan Tac-50 .50 BMG sniper rifle was used by Canadian Corporal Rob Furlong to bring off the longest-range confirmed sniper kill in history, when he shot a Taliban combatant at 2,430 meters (2,657 yards) during the 2002 campaign in Afghanistan." God love those Canuck riflemen :D:

·
Major League Infidel
435 Posts
These guys are talented! They know what they are doing. It's a matter of what the weapon and round is capable of, not them. I spent 6 years in the USMC, and have worked with the Snipers. Another thing to remember is that the "spotter" is 100% as talented as the sniper, if not slightly more. In most cases, they are just not able to put the technique to the weapon. Whatever it may be. It is a 2 man team, and a sniper truely needs his spotter to be effective. I don't mean to take anything away from the snipers either, they are different breed. Ever think about where they go to the bathroom when they are laying motionless for 52 hours straight?
Not able to put the technique to the weapon? Are you kidding me? It's harder to spot than it is to shoot. I'm qualified to do both. Me and my partner switch all the time.

·
Major League Infidel
435 Posts
A sabot is just a stabilizer that takes up the inside of a barrel and falls away, revealing a smaller projectile. Shot cups are technically sabots.

As used, I think the concrete spall was probably as deadly as the kinetic penetrator.

from Wiki:

The Raufoss Mk.211 - is a .50 caliber BMG (12.7x99mm NATO) multipurpose anti-materiel projectile originally developed by the Norwegian company NAMMO Raufoss AS under the model name NM140 MP. It is commonly referred to as simply multipurpose or Raufoss. The "Mk.211" name comes from the nomenclature "Mk.211 Mod 0" used by the U.S. military for this round.

The multipurpose name is based on the projectile having an armor-piercing (tungsten core), an explosive, and an incendiary component, thus making it capable of penetrating lightly armored targets and causing damage to personnel inside the target after penetration. It is a suitable round for engaging helicopters, aircraft and lightly armored vehicles, as well as unarmored vehicles, and it has the capability of igniting jet fuel. The Mk.211 has about the same destructive power as a standard 20 mm round against such targets.[1]

The Mk.211 has become very popular as .50 cal sniper ammunition, for use in the Barrett M82 rifle, as well as other .50 BMG rifles. It is also often used in heavy machine guns, for example the M2 Browning. Due to its popularity several U.S. arms manufacturers produce the round under license from NAMMO Raufoss AS.

"A McMillan Tac-50 .50 BMG sniper rifle was used by Canadian Corporal Rob Furlong to bring off the longest-range confirmed sniper kill in history, when he shot a Taliban combatant at 2,430 meters (2,657 yards) during the 2002 campaign in Afghanistan." God love those Canuck riflemen :D:
That is a long shot. They're rifle must be a better rifle than the barrets we use. The barrett is a 2 MOA rifle! not great, the M24 is a 1 MOA rifle, and my choice!

·
Adventurer
19,333 Posts
That is a long shot. They're rifle must be a better rifle than the barrets we use. The barrett is a 2 MOA rifle! not great, the M24 is a 1 MOA rifle, and my choice!
if i had to choose a semi id prol go for the M110

·
Registered
310 Posts
Rob Fulong= Bad ass.
These guys are absurdly good. Long range is impressive, but read about the 1993 Mogadishu guys picking off running Somalis with M14s and AR15s from a helicopter! The shooting skills of all these elite units are unbelievable. They are the dude you grew up with that could pop a sprinting rabbit with a 22 from 50 yards without breaking a sweat...times 100.

Isn't the legend on Pablo Escobar that a Delta Force sniper shot him from over 3/4mi through a window by pacing him from a previous window as he walked down a hallway?

These guys are walking death. I'm glad they work for us and hope they're all back soon.

if i had to choose a semi id prol go for the M110
I've heard that the crazy elite snipers are using Chey Tac's "Intervention" .408 or the McMillan brothers or Accuracy International fifties.

Not able to put the technique to the weapon? Are you kidding me? It's harder to spot than it is to shoot. I'm qualified to do both. Me and my partner switch all the time.
Is that true when you get out passed a mile? It's not close to impossible to follow a spotter's lead at that distance?

·
Information is Ammunition
22,122 Posts
Guy I worked with on patrol took the army course, and showed me a dime he kept on his key chain that he bulls-eyed at 100 yards as an extra credit shot for part of his qualification. Took me a few moments to winch my jaw up off the floor.

That the media, games, ect can put a precision rifle in someones hands, stick them in a high rise building and call that person a sniper to my mind is an insult to probably the world's most misunderstood and exclusive craft. in fact there is a website dedicated to snipers, its for snipers by snipers, they help guys that are getting out of the service, guys that are having PTSD problems, raise money to donate and gear to get the guys overseas decent extras that aren't provided for by the service. I just can't remember the URL.

·
Adventurer
19,333 Posts
Is that true when you get out passed a mile? It's not close to impossible to follow a spotter's lead at that distance?
No its all mathmatics the bullet has a certian ballistic curve that is constant then you factor in wind temp and other weather variables and your good to go and most snipers dont shoot past a mile as that is 1 and a half kilometers and that is an insanly difficult shot let alone hard to see a person that far

Guy I worked with on patrol took the army course, and showed me a dime he kept on his key chain that he bulls-eyed at 100 yards as an extra credit shot for part of his qualification. Took me a few moments to winch my jaw up off the floor.

That the media, games, ect can put a precision rifle in someones hands, stick them in a high rise building and call that person a sniper to my mind is an insult to probably the world's most misunderstood and exclusive craft. in fact there is a website dedicated to snipers, its for snipers by snipers, they help guys that are getting out of the service, guys that are having PTSD problems, raise money to donate and gear to get the guys overseas decent extras that aren't provided for by the service. I just can't remember the URL.
Lol angle fire is some of the hardest shooting to do as you cant just aim center mass and expect to hit because you will miss as you have to take into account you elevation distance to target and targets elevation
heres a link that can explaine that aspect a little better than i can
http://www.snipertools.com/article5.htm

Reactions: Dwind
1 - 20 of 34 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.