Survivalist Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3,000 Posts
I read that story earlier today. Its just a tragedy. I feel for the guy, it really demonstrates how messed up our system is. We definitely have a crisis on our hands right now in America. Who has a "right" to healthcare? Is it a human right? For this man it only became his right once he did something wrong. Its just like every other government program out there, set up to punish the hardworking and reward the criminal or morally bankrupt element of society.

The guy in the story didnt seem like he wanted to work the system, but he was desperate. I cant judge him in this case, I can only hope I or any of my family never ends up in similar circumstances.

A side story, I do have a family member who has had chest pain for about a month and has insurance but wont go to the Dr because it will still be too expensive. This highlights the pricey cost of health care with or without insurance. Insurance companies have raised their premiums, deductibles , co-pays , and % of bill you pay so far now that insurance is not even a guarentee of access to health care.

·
Registered
3,000 Posts
STEEPOE, dont go there. In 17 years how much money could he have saved up for this medical emergency? If that guy had been saving Im sure that after all is said and done his life savings would have been wiped in no time. Stop blaming! Its not like that, you can plan and save all you want, if you dont have health insurance and end up with a serious health issue, you are screwed. For your arguement, lets say he had saved 100,000 and that is exactly what his hospital bill was, so he could pay for it. Should it be that way? Should someone have to bankrupt themselves for healthcare?

·
Objectivist
513 Posts
Those who would give up Essential Liberty to purchase a little Temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety.
B. Franklin

·
Most Thankful Guy here
38,965 Posts
Well at least he's getting medical attention. Without knowing how long he had been unemployed, whether he was receiving any benefits and current living conditions, it's hard to debate the issue.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts