Survivalist Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have purchased 300 cc absorbers in packages of 50 count. I have been reading here that you can see them working in as little time as 15 minutes.
My question is this. Are the 02 absorbers going to lose there effectiveness
while I am working with them sealing up bags for an hour or two? I realize I can put them in a zip lock and pull one out at a time but I am still exposing them to oxygen. Any thoughts on this is appreciated.

·
Infraction Collector
2,409 Posts
we put ours in a tupperware container while we bag,...and just open it quickly as we need one. You will feel them start to heat up though. I wouldnt leave them out in air for 2 hours.......prolly reduce their effectiveness.

·
Zomby Woof
14,266 Posts
I have purchased 300 cc absorbers in packages of 50 count. I have been reading here that you can see them working in as little time as 15 minutes.
while I am working with them sealing up bags for an hour or two? I realize I can put them in a zip lock and pull one out at a time but I am still exposing them to oxygen. Any thoughts on this is appreciated.
I kept mine in a ziploc that I then stuffed into a mason jar with a lid.
When I used them, I'd prepare the containers, then quickly open the jar and get what I needed, then close it up.

It took me about two months to use them up, and all of them seemed to work fine.

·
Not what I appear to be
2,174 Posts
I buy 500cc absorbers because I pack Mylar in 5gal. buckets, so I use 4 in each Mylar pack. When I open a package of O2s I reseal them in packs of 4, using my Foodsavers to vacuum seal them again. usually takes less than 5 minutes to do so. That way when I pack grain or whatever I just open one of the small packs of O2s to use. I have not had any problems.

If you don't have a vacuum sealer, you could do it like Skully said, put them in small Ziplock bags in the quantity desired, and put them in a canning jar pulling them out as you need them.

That way they would have limited exposure to air.

·
Capability, not scenarios
11,966 Posts
Yes, if you leave them out for an hour or two, they will lose a lot. How much? Depends on if they're stacked, in a bag that's partially open, etc.

The 15-minute thing may have been my post; it's based on using large, 1500cc O2 absorbers in a gallon bag. A 300cc O2 absorber won't work that fast.

What I always do is this: I make sure all my bags are full of whatever I'm storing. I wipe clean of dust or powder on the inside of the bag where I plan to do the sealing so I don't foul the seal. I prepare everything so that sealing takes only a few minutes.

Only then do I open up the O2 absorbers and place them in the bags. And if I only do a few at a time, I immediately seal up the remainder in a jar or a bag so they don't lose effectiveness. (Typically I reseal them in the bag they came in, or put them in mylar and reseal).

If you're doing large bags in 5-gallon buckets, what I'll do is seal most of the opening, leaving 2 or 3 inches unsealed. Then, when I'm ready to finish, I'll drop in the O2 absorber through the remaining small opening, squeeze out what air I can, and then seal the small opening.

Reactions: MikeK

·
Registered
258 Posts
That is just a dessiccant pack with a built in heater. If the dessicant gel becomes saturated you can plug it in and let the moisture vaporize.
Cheap chinese electronics? Don't trust it!
For that price you're better off buying dessicant at the hobby shop and packing it in coffee filters.

·
Registered
33,407 Posts
I kept mine in a ziploc that I then stuffed into a mason jar with a lid.
When I used them, I'd prepare the containers, then quickly open the jar and get what I needed, then close it up.

It took me about two months to use them up, and all of them seemed to work fine.
I do the same thing, I stuff as much plastic in there as I can to push out as much air as I can.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts