Generator security - Survivalist Forum
Survivalist Forum

Advertise Here

Go Back   Survivalist Forum > >
Articles Classifieds Donations Gallery Groups Links Store Survival Files

Notices

Urban Survival Urban survival and disaster preparedness including hurricanes, earthquakes, floods and anything else.

Advertise Here
Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Inverter generator vs normal generator wisconsin_newbie Disaster Preparedness General Discussion 33 01-27-2019 07:31 AM
Lister Generator or Natural Gas generator? NewYorkNewbie Disaster Preparedness General Discussion 29 07-18-2016 10:07 PM
ATIONAL SECURITY DOJ to ban religious, racial profiling in national security probes madcritter General Discussion 5 09-30-2014 08:12 PM
home made generator generator luvdahills DIY - Do It Yourself 45 01-19-2013 12:37 AM
Inverter Generator or Standard Generator? ActionJackson Disaster Preparedness General Discussion 36 08-09-2012 09:40 PM
Cheap DIY Home Security, Camp Security, Bug out Security Vibration alarm Festes DIY - Do It Yourself 3 05-10-2012 11:09 PM
Homeland Security? - Security slip let suspect on plane, near takeoff Steverino General Discussion 10 05-06-2010 11:27 PM
E100 generator? (100% ethanol generator) Exists? nattylite General Discussion 3 12-07-2008 04:34 PM
Site security / road security / driveway security Big Eye Disaster Preparedness General Discussion 5 09-22-2008 11:17 AM

Old 04-09-2007, 08:24 AM
Forum Administrator

Thanked 39,149 Times in 7,819 Posts
Default Generator security

Advertise Here

After hurricane Rita passed through here a year and a half ago - there were stories going around of peoples generators going off in the middle of the night, by the time they got outside all they saw was the tail lights of the truck leaving with their genny in the bed.

Do not let this happen to you.

When you buy your genny, also buy about 20 feet of chain and two locks. My genny was chained to an oak tree about 3 feet in diameter.

Then my truck was backed up to the genny so no one could see it from the road. Use your trucks or cars to block the view of people passing by.

Take the wheels off your genny. Do not make it any easier for the thieves.

Keep your genny in the back yard, or where ever you might have a fence up.

If you have a fenced back yard, put locks on the gate.

Do not keep your genny in the garage while running - fumes will still get into the house.

I built a portable shed about 4 feet tall, 4 feet wide and about 3 feet deep out of debris from the hurricane - three sides were closed, one side was open. This helped keep the genny out of thew weather and helped dampen the sound of the motor running. Now that the genny in stored in the shed, I turned that portable three sided shed into a wood shed for my bar-be-que pit.
The Following 13 Users Say Thank You to kev For This Useful Post:
Old 04-09-2007, 10:27 PM
VIP Member

Thanked 3,133 Times in 1,797 Posts
Awards Showcase
Outstanding Thread 
Total Awards: 1

I put mine next to my work shed, locked it with a heavy chain, to a large eye bolt poured into the slab.
Backed my 3/4 ton cargo van, up to the other side of the generator, and chained/locked it to my class III hitch.
Loaded 12 ga., just inside back door.
Quick reply to this message
Old 04-10-2007, 08:54 AM
A friend of the Site

It is a shame we live in a world, that is filled with people that have no character.

One other option might be to pull off the muffler and add a piece (or pieces) of pipe to extend it out through a wall or window, so that the genny might be more secure.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to eeyore For This Useful Post:

Old 04-10-2007, 01:33 PM

Mine was in the back fenced yard under the watchful eye of "Wonder mutt". I do need to chain it....
Old 04-13-2008, 08:49 AM

excellent information. Thanks.
The Following User Says Thank You to billrok For This Useful Post:
Old 04-13-2008, 09:59 AM
trois pour cent

Thanked 5,645 Times in 2,305 Posts

In New Orleans after the storm, people were powering their tools with generators. Many stories were heard of people using their skill saw or whatever and suddenly it didn't work. Tracing the extension cord back, thinking something had come unplugged, they found out they were right. Someone unplugged them from the gennie and stole it in broad daylight.

I chain mine when in use. I have two Honda 2000's. They live in my truck tool box when not in use, out of sight.

I want to take a cargo rack that fits into a trailer hitch and modify it. By welding a sort of a cage in which to place the generator and fuel and padlock it down. The rack can be padlocked into the hitch. Could use this on my truck or fifth wheel and the gennies could be run in place within the lock up.

I thought about just buying a small hitch tool box but the gennies need more ventilation than that would provide.
Old 04-13-2008, 10:20 AM
I hear the bagpipes

Blacking out your windows at night if you are using lights may help also. To keep noise down, you may surround your genny with bails of hay (keep away from the hot exhaust), as we do on ham radio field day. The hay will muffle the sound, so it may delay its detection. On an otherwise quite night, it will be heard though no matter what.
The Following User Says Thank You to GMDSS For This Useful Post:
Old 04-13-2008, 12:46 PM

Buy concertina and string it around the area you want to secure. Theives can use bolt cutters to cut chains and locks, but if they try that with concertina, all they get is a face full of concertina that was under tension. Not saying don't lock it, but use concertina wire in combination with locks. Think in layers when it comes to any kind of security. Concertina also comes in handy to string masses of it below windows to deter unauthorized access, etc.
Old 04-13-2008, 02:09 PM

Thanked 3,173 Times in 913 Posts
Awards Showcase
Outstanding Post 

About 5 years ago I was at a wedding reception at a private residence in a fancy housing development. In my attempt to find a place to hide I went in back of the house and saw a large box constucted out of treated lumber. I peeked inside and there was a large generator inside. The owner then joined me to burn one and he showed me his neat setup. He had poured a 8" concrete slab under the generator and the generator was secured to the slab with huge hardened steel "U" bolts that were around the tubular frame and sunk into the concrete. It was a permanent thing, no way to move the generator without hacksawing the U bolts (there were 10 of them!) He explained that it served two purposes. It prevented theft and, more importantly to him, prevented neighbors with getting the idea that they could "borrow" his generator when the power went out. During one power outage he was inundated with requests to borrow it to keep the neighbors freezers cold. So he just set the whole thing in concrete! It was a different approach, to say the least.
The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to Scruggs For This Useful Post:
Old 04-13-2008, 03:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scruggs View Post
About 5 years ago I was at a wedding reception at a private residence in a fancy housing development. In my attempt to find a place to hide I went in back of the house and saw a large box constucted out of treated lumber. I peeked inside and there was a large generator inside. The owner then joined me to burn one and he showed me his neat setup. He had poured a 8" concrete slab under the generator and the generator was secured to the slab with huge hardened steel "U" bolts that were around the tubular frame and sunk into the concrete. It was a permanent thing, no way to move the generator without hacksawing the U bolts (there were 10 of them!) He explained that it served two purposes. It prevented theft and, more importantly to him, prevented neighbors with getting the idea that they could "borrow" his generator when the power went out. During one power outage he was inundated with requests to borrow it to keep the neighbors freezers cold. So he just set the whole thing in concrete! It was a different approach, to say the least.
The thing you have to wory about in that situation, is the theif getting ****ed off and just sabotaging the whole works - puncturing the fuel tank and lighting it up. Better have it set up so the whole area is secure in the first place.
Old 04-13-2008, 04:25 PM
Information is Ammunition

Thanked 27,041 Times in 10,518 Posts
Awards Showcase
Top Poster Outstanding Firearms Post Top Poster Top Poster 
Total Awards: 5

luckily I live in a state that allows me to defend my property with deadly force when needed, rather than California- where you even have to decide between jail and the grave
Old 04-13-2008, 05:26 PM
AKA The Dragon

Thanked 1,971 Times in 957 Posts

Two of mine are mounted on trailers for mobility and securally mounted. The trailers have tow hitch disablers and chain capability on the wheels and axle to secure the trailer.
Old 04-14-2008, 07:40 PM
Bravo 36

Quote:
Originally Posted by GMDSS View Post
Blacking out your windows at night if you are using lights may help also. To keep noise down, you may surround your genny with bails of hay (keep away from the hot exhaust), as we do on ham radio field day. The hay will muffle the sound, so it may delay its detection. On an otherwise quite night, it will be heard though no matter what.

Intead of hay (fire hazzard). Get flex pipe. Hook a couple of coffee cans togther. Cut the tops off. Before you hook the pipes up together stuff cans with steel wool. the bottoms should have the same size hole as flex pipe. Flex pipe from auto parts store. Works like a silancer.
The Following User Says Thank You to Milkman12114 For This Useful Post:
Old 04-15-2008, 09:58 AM
I am whatever I say I am

There is a ton of great info in this thread, and in the other generator thread too, I think they should be combined into a sticky. Admins?
Old 10-27-2010, 06:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kev View Post
After hurricane Rita passed through here a year and a half ago - there were stories going around of peoples generators going off in the middle of the night, by the time they got outside all they saw was the tail lights of the truck leaving with their genny in the bed.

Do not let this happen to you.

When you buy your genny, also buy about 20 feet of chain and two locks. My genny was chained to an oak tree about 3 feet in diameter.

Then my truck was backed up to the genny so no one could see it from the road. Use your trucks or cars to block the view of people passing by.

Take the wheels off your genny. Do not make it any easier for the thieves.

Keep your genny in the back yard, or where ever you might have a fence up.

If you have a fenced back yard, put locks on the gate.

Do not keep your genny in the garage while running - fumes will still get into the house.

I built a portable shed about 4 feet tall, 4 feet wide and about 3 feet deep out of debris from the hurricane - three sides were closed, one side was open. This helped keep the genny out of thew weather and helped dampen the sound of the motor running. Now that the genny in stored in the shed, I turned that portable three sided shed into a wood shed for my bar-be-que pit.

The ideas here is very helpful for the furtue
Old 10-27-2010, 07:22 PM
Lux in Tenebris

Thanked 10,031 Times in 3,749 Posts

I read that in NOLA after katrina, that the BG's would put a running lawnmower in place of genset.....great PSYOP...
Old 10-27-2010, 07:37 PM

I made a 3x3x3 enclosure for my generator and put a real heavy chain on it. One day a guy was at my place and thought it was a dog house. When he looked at the chain from a few feet away he panicked, ran into his car and slammed the door shut wondering what the hell of an animal I kept in their that required such a heavy chain.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to MattJes For This Useful Post:
Old 10-28-2010, 09:17 PM

Great ideas here. I like the chain idea too! I put a honda civic muffler on mine (with 1-1/2" tubing) and a 90 degree bend welded to the flame arrestor. It was amazing how much quieter it is now. Thinking about buying a piece of industrial sound mat and lining a box to quiet the mechanical noise even more.
Old 10-28-2010, 09:58 PM
Prepared

If your serious about opsec and running a generator, you may want to look into one of the ultra quiet diesel gens, or the honda E/IU series. Both are pretty quiet all things considered. Another good prep is a generator shed which is locked/ and run your power back to your house. You can made a shed with exhaust and keep it away from the house. A motion sensing alarm near it like a pews system will give you a heads up if anyone is attepting to get at your genny. Put the shed in a location in your field of fire with no cover around it. In a long term scenario a gen set is more of a liability as society disintegrates anyone with their lights on at night will be a target. Noise and light discipline in this type of scenario would be the key to long term survival. Solar is a an expensive quiet option but maintance in the long term would be a issue. Gensets are great short term, but if there was a TEOTWAKI event you might be better served getting used to life with out power.
Old 10-28-2010, 10:17 PM
Survival Actual

Thanked 11,883 Times in 2,990 Posts
Awards Showcase
Outstanding Gardening Post or Thread 

This place sells super quiet mufflers for gennys

http://www.jackssmallengines.com/strapmain.cfm