Survivalist Forum

Advertise Here

Go Back   Survivalist Forum > >
Articles Classifieds Donations Gallery Groups Links Store Survival Files

Notices

Advertise Here
Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
A question if I am wrong for speaking my opinion. vizcara General Discussion 109 08-27-2018 06:41 PM
Beretta 92fs Vertec Inox color question newoldstock Pistol and Revolver Forum 3 03-11-2017 01:15 AM
Owl question TxHannah Farming, Gardening & Homesteading 33 03-10-2017 10:31 PM
newbie needs a AR question answered Lost Boy Firearms General Discussion 7 02-28-2017 03:50 PM
Question about purchasing firearms. Chancej23 Firearms General Discussion 26 02-18-2017 01:16 PM

Old 03-23-2019, 06:40 PM
Trump+Kanye=Dragon Energy

Thanked 9,142 Times in 2,644 Posts
Default Squirrel Question

Advertise Here

I've grown up hearing that ya don't eat squirrel until after a frost to kill parasite/whatever else.

We really don't have hard frosts down here anymore in South Georgia. Are they fine to eat after a good cleaning and thorough cooking? I've never eaten squirrel but they are everywhere since I started feeding the birds.

Paranoid question...no need to flame. I didn't know if this should be in the food section or here.
Quick reply to this message
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to swamp frog For This Useful Post:
Old 03-23-2019, 07:56 PM
Trapper

Thanked 1,561 Times in 529 Posts

Always check the liver and kidneys to see if they look healthy. Don’t eat the tree rat if the organs are spotty, gray or nasty.
Ton of cooking options out there on YouTube, cooking sights etc. Including how to brine them before cooking if you wish.

Not a dumb question at all.

Happy hunting. I use a 410, 28 gauge or 22 myself. A 12 gauge hardly leaves much.
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Jframe For This Useful Post:
Old 03-23-2019, 07:57 PM
reluctant sinner

Thanked 25,891 Times in 9,325 Posts

They don't call them tree rats for nothing. I'd eat them if there wasn't anything else. I can tell you they are really attached to their hide. Pliers help with skinning them.
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to charliemeyer007 For This Useful Post:
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-23-2019, 08:07 PM
Trapper

Thanked 1,561 Times in 529 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by charliemeyer007 View Post
They don't call them tree rats for nothing. I'd eat them if there wasn't anything else. I can tell you they are really attached to their hide. Pliers help with skinning them.
Ya just gotta get their jammies off
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Jframe For This Useful Post:
Old 03-23-2019, 08:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by charliemeyer007 View Post
definitely what they're called around here.

I don't want to get them in the house so I figured I needed to shoot a few but I hate wasting an animal without attempting to use it in some way.

I'm a big softy with critters.

If all else fails...dog's can eat prime meat.
The Following User Says Thank You to swamp frog For This Useful Post:
Old 03-23-2019, 09:19 PM
statists' be statin'

Thanked 10,601 Times in 2,323 Posts

Squirrel's body temperature is always above freezing so any parasites don't know or care about the temperature outside as long as they're living inside.

Cook the meat thoroughly and any parasites (if there even are any) will not be alive to hurt you.

We usually eat squirrel the first time some kid shoots one and wants to try cooking his catch. After the first time, curiosity is usually satisfied and we just get a burger.
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to maintenanceguy For This Useful Post:
Old 03-23-2019, 09:30 PM
Hunter

Thanked 2,077 Times in 962 Posts
Awards Showcase
Outstanding Gardening Post or Thread 
Total Awards: 1

I think that the after frost thing has a lot to do with warbles?sp? its a maggot like thing that is under the skin with a hole to the outside ,,,by "frost" they have matured and left the host,,its not just squirrels that get them ,,,have seen them in rabbits [both domestic and wild] and cattle
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to wilderness bushman For This Useful Post:
Old 03-23-2019, 09:31 PM
Let the Debate begin

Thanked 10,024 Times in 3,596 Posts

If your worried about parasites, use magnum 3 inch bird shot in a 12 gauge, and it will take care of them.
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Truck Vet For This Useful Post:
Old 03-24-2019, 11:17 AM
off-grid organic farmer

Thanked 36,122 Times in 14,273 Posts
Awards Showcase
Outstanding Helpful Post 
Total Awards: 1

I like stews. By boiling in water even the toughest meat will turn edible.

When frying it is possible to burn the meat if you are not watching it closely. When boiling meat it will never burn.

If the meat has a strong flavor, that flavor will dissipate some into the water. And the spices and herbs that you include in a stew will provide flavor into the meat.

If you boil something so long that the meat literally falls apart into a broth, that is still okay. Add potatoes, carrots, celery, and parsnips they will make any broth a meal.
The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to ForestBeekeeper For This Useful Post:
Old 03-24-2019, 01:36 PM

Thanked 6,059 Times in 1,626 Posts

There's a saying I've heard since a kid, "only eat rabbet during months with a "R" in them (SeptembeR, OctobeR - ApRil). I've always associated squirrel with that to, was always told it had to do with parasites but cooking should alleviate that.
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Bob3rd For This Useful Post:
Old 03-25-2019, 05:19 AM
Survivor

Thanked 4,798 Times in 1,844 Posts

mainteneceguy pretty much nailed it.

Cooking to 165F should kill any nasties.

1 possible reason for hunting small game after a frost..you can see them in the woods..trees lost the leaves,grass and vegetation dies off..you can see them against snow..or if no snow..the rustle of them moving in dried litter in the ground.

Kill a rabbit and clean it when its 10F below,you still get fleas on you,so for sure any internal parisites will survive.
The Following User Says Thank You to cook For This Useful Post:
Old 03-25-2019, 09:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wilderness bushman View Post
I think that the after frost thing has a lot to do with warbles?sp? its a maggot like thing that is under the skin with a hole to the outside ,,,by "frost" they have matured and left the host,,its not just squirrels that get them ,,,have seen them in rabbits [both domestic and wild] and cattle

This. It is a bot fly larva. Actually you can eat them even if they have the larva, just clean around the area where it was found. Think like squeezing a big zit with a worm in the middle of it.

Now notice I said YOU could eat them, because I sure as Hell wouldn't. Unless starving and that is a whole 'nother critter.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to scallop For This Useful Post:
Old 03-25-2019, 09:39 PM
Trapper

I love squirrel and never worried about the first frost. I live in South/North Carolina border and it never gets cold with heavy frost.
I have seen bot fly and never eat the meat. I take the tail and the meat after being skinned it cook and given to the dogs.
Never had a problem with fleas or ticks and never saw any parasite inside them.
The Following User Says Thank You to Lost Woods Survival For This Useful Post:
Old 03-25-2019, 10:00 PM
Survivor

Thanked 18,303 Times in 7,682 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by swamp frog View Post
I've grown up hearing that ya don't eat squirrel until after a frost to kill parasite/whatever else.

We really don't have hard frosts down here anymore in South Georgia. Are they fine to eat after a good cleaning and thorough cooking? I've never eaten squirrel but they are everywhere since I started feeding the birds.

Paranoid question...no need to flame. I didn't know if this should be in the food section or here.
I thought that was because of the mites in the skin. Cold weather will not kill any internal parasites. All wild game should be cooked well done. Squirrel is ok for eating what you kill or if you are hungry enough but squirrel alone is not to to my taste. Now my mother-in-law could make any game good.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to PalmettoTree For This Useful Post:
Old 03-26-2019, 05:17 PM
Plays best, alone

Thanked 5,243 Times in 2,424 Posts

The old sayin about not hunting squirrels til after a frost has to do with Warbles. Parasites that live just below the skin. So skin your animal, cook it and enjoy. Do look at the entrails though and by pass any that have abnormalities there.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Palma For This Useful Post:
Old 03-26-2019, 10:16 PM
patriarch

Thanked 5,932 Times in 2,842 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by swamp frog View Post

When growing up in Missouri, I never seen a problem with squirrels as season opened in August, but my kin here in Indiana warned me about early squirrel hunting and here is the reason. I harvested a few squirrels with these, and I tossed them, but according to this article, they may have been good to eat. ugh
https://wildlife.ohiodnr.gov/portals...lth/pub322.pdf
The Following User Says Thank You to two bits For This Useful Post:
Old 03-26-2019, 10:29 PM
Harsh and unpleasant

Thanked 2,689 Times in 1,109 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Truck Vet View Post
If your worried about parasites, use magnum 3 inch bird shot in a 12 gauge, and it will take care of them.
I once shot a squirrel with a GP100.
I found the tail but no parasites
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Sharkbait For This Useful Post:
Old 03-27-2019, 08:14 PM
Hunter

Thanked 2,130 Times in 880 Posts

We shoot them with 22’s. Bring them home and skin them. Gut them, as long as no strange looking problem with guts then we boil them. Usually get the water boiling then throw the tree rats in for 8 to ten minutes. You’ll get a brown froth on top, I just scrape it off. Then I take the squirrels and dump them into a skillet and pour sweet baby ray bbq sauce all over them. Then me and my boys eat them. It’s like eating bbq wings the meat falls off the bone. But if you want a meal you better shoot a bunch of them.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to buckhunter For This Useful Post:
Old 04-02-2019, 04:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by buckhunter View Post
We shoot them with 22ís. Bring them home and skin them. Gut them, as long as no strange looking problem with guts then we boil them. Usually get the water boiling then throw the tree rats in for 8 to ten minutes. Youíll get a brown froth on top, I just scrape it off. Then I take the squirrels and dump them into a skillet and pour sweet baby ray bbq sauce all over them. Then me and my boys eat them. Itís like eating bbq wings the meat falls off the bone. But if you want a meal you better shoot a bunch of them.
What's the deal with the checking guts? Is there something specific I should look for or just weird in general?
Old 04-07-2019, 03:50 PM
Trapper

Quote:
Originally Posted by scallop View Post
This. It is a bot fly larva. Actually you can eat them even if they have the larva, just clean around the area where it was found. Think like squeezing a big zit with a worm in the middle of it.

Now notice I said YOU could eat them, because I sure as Hell wouldn't. Unless starving and that is a whole 'nother critter.
Cuterebra = warbles = botfly larvae Not too tasty!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Cuterebra botfly.jpg
Views:	75
Size:	75.5 KB
ID:	285688  

Last edited by Woodchuck; 04-07-2019 at 03:51 PM.. Reason: spelling
The Following User Says Thank You to Woodchuck For This Useful Post: