shockwave"birdshead"grip - Survivalist Forum
Survivalist Forum

Advertise Here

Go Back   Survivalist Forum > > >
Articles Classifieds Donations Gallery Groups Links Store Survival Files

Notices

Shotgun Forum Mossberg, Winchester, Remington, Benelli....

Advertise Here

Old 08-27-2018, 05:07 AM
Survivor

Thanked 4,579 Times in 1,758 Posts
Default shockwave"birdshead"grip

Advertise Here

Just out of curiosity.
Several shockwave posts mention the grip is a big improvement over a pistol grip.
So...
Anyone making a replacement that you can swap out the pistol grip on an 18" cruiser style mossberg 500?
Any legal issues?
Quick reply to this message
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to cook For This Useful Post:
Old 08-27-2018, 06:24 AM
Shotgunner

Thanked 1,011 Times in 454 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by cook View Post
Just out of curiosity.
Several shockwave posts mention the grip is a big improvement over a pistol grip.
So...
Anyone making a replacement that you can swap out the pistol grip on an 18" cruiser style mossberg 500?
Any legal issues?
Just google a raptor grip and it will go onto a cruiser
No legal issues either since the will be 4.5" longer than the shockwave
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Debx36 For This Useful Post:
Old 08-27-2018, 07:05 AM
Survivor

Thanked 13,401 Times in 4,867 Posts

Yeah, the 26" overall length is the magic number and I see lots of birds-head grips for sale. The real deal SW is around 26.75" long. Put a stock or PG onto it and it could get you in hot water.
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Iamfarticus For This Useful Post:
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-28-2018, 05:56 AM
Survivor

Thanked 4,579 Times in 1,758 Posts

Thanks,gun shop had the two side by side.There was a size difference,but not huge.Price was the big difference...489 vs 189 for the used pistol grip.
The Following User Says Thank You to cook For This Useful Post:
Old 08-28-2018, 06:52 AM
Dunning-Kruger Survivor

Thanked 19,986 Times in 5,184 Posts

NVM. Misread.
Old 09-09-2018, 07:22 PM
Mad Trapper

This type of grip is nothing new in the shotgun world, its only new to people new to shotguns.
Speedfeed has made them for years and before that people just cut the wooded stocks down.

Is it better than the regularly seen shotgun pistol grip.....yes!! it rolls the recoil instead of snapping your wrist.
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to rjsixgun For This Useful Post:
Old 09-09-2018, 07:46 PM
Trapper

At the shop, the ATF give us some papers as we prepared to sell them. I was told by my agent that if you add anything to the shockwave it will be a firearm and subject to the law. The adding of a raptor grip, on the other hand, is fine if the firearm still is the right length.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Lost Woods Survival For This Useful Post:
Old 09-10-2018, 07:07 AM
Survivor

Quote:
Originally Posted by rjsixgun View Post
This type of grip is nothing new in the shotgun world, its only new to people new to shotguns.
Speedfeed has made them for years and before that people just cut the wooded stocks down.

Is it better than the regularly seen shotgun pistol grip.....yes!! it rolls the recoil instead of snapping your wrist.
I found the recoil was manageable and I was able to get the next shots off quickly. It had a natural feel to it.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Iamfarticus For This Useful Post:
Old 09-10-2018, 08:42 AM
Survivor

Thanked 7,491 Times in 3,887 Posts

This plastic birdshead grip has been around for at least 20 years, possibly longer. Cheaper Than Dirt used to sell them years ago.

Figure if you can put a Mossberg pistol grip on a standard length Mossberg 500 shotgun, you can put this birdshead grip on it.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to drobs For This Useful Post:
Old 09-10-2018, 11:39 PM
Prepared

My understanding, and I've three of the family, is that a Class III shotgun is okay to carry concealed.

A Shockwave is NOT okay to carry concealed. It's not Class III because overall length is 26" or greater.

A shotgun with an 18" or longer barrel with an overall length greater than 26" is okay to carry concealed.

It must be wonderful the way alcohol, tobacco and guns mix to make government policy.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to fflincher For This Useful Post:
Old 09-17-2018, 03:12 AM
Trapper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lost Woods Survival View Post
At the shop, the ATF give us some papers as we prepared to sell them. I was told by my agent that if you add anything to the shockwave it will be a firearm and subject to the law. The adding of a raptor grip, on the other hand, is fine if the firearm still is the right length.
The Shockwave is a firearm FYI. It is not a shotgun. It is a non NFA Firearm. Nothing wrong with adding things or removing things, but you need to know what you are doing in the case of the Tac 14 or Shockwave.

If you remove the birds head and add a standard pistol grip it will be shorter than 26" therefore to do this you will have to pay for a $5 AOW (any other weapon) tax stamp, and wait 6-9 months for approval from the ATF. If you add a stock it would become a SBS (Short Barreled Shotgun) for that configuration you would have to pay $200 SBS tax stamp and wait 6-9 months for approval from the ATF.

If you add a pistol grips that allows you to add a AR15 reciever extension, you can add a brace to this configuration and still have a legal non NFA firearm. If you add a stock the NFA SBS rules apply.

As for the OPs question nothing wrong with adding the birds head grip to standard 500 if you like.
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to RogueSpear2023 For This Useful Post:
Old 09-19-2018, 05:10 AM
Doubts Most Everything

Thanked 5,168 Times in 2,606 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by RogueSpear2023 View Post

...If you remove the birds head and add a standard pistol grip it will be shorter than 26" therefore to do this you will have to pay for a $5 AOW (any other weapon) tax stamp ....
No, it is $200 to make an AOW, same as any other NFA item. The $5 fee is for transfer only.

- OS
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Oh Shoot For This Useful Post:
Old 09-19-2018, 04:52 PM
Target Shooter

Wilson Firearms produced a shotgun called a Witness Protection shotgun for Secret Service use, it had a birdshead grip like a regular shotgun could be carried concealed and if needed ,it was to be pushed out and fired at arms length like you were using a regular shotgun except with no stock ,but just around this time the Uzi was introduced and this Wilson specialized shotgun fell by the wayside...............that's my story and I'm sticking to it ;-)
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to PBR Streetgang For This Useful Post:
Old 09-19-2018, 05:00 PM
Doubts Most Everything

Quote:
Originally Posted by PBR Streetgang View Post
Wilson Firearms produced a shotgun called a Witness Protection shotgun for Secret Service use, it had a birdshead grip like a regular shotgun could be carried concealed and if needed ,it was to be pushed out and fired at arms length like you were using a regular shotgun except with no stock ,but just around this time the Uzi was introduced and this Wilson specialized shotgun fell by the wayside...............that's my story and I'm sticking to it ;-)
Mainly for US Marshal Service:

https://www.tactical-life.com/firear...rotection-870/

- OS
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Oh Shoot For This Useful Post:
Old 09-19-2018, 11:23 PM
Survivor

Thanked 7,491 Times in 3,887 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oh Shoot View Post
Mainly for US Marshal Service:

https://www.tactical-life.com/firear...rotection-870/

- OS
Remington release a wood stock version of that recently as their Tac-14 Hardwood:

https://www.remington.com/other-prod...ac-14-hardwood

I'm tempted.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to drobs For This Useful Post:
Old 09-20-2018, 09:45 AM
Doubts Most Everything

Quote:
Originally Posted by drobs View Post
Remington release a wood stock version of that recently as their Tac-14 Hardwood:

https://www.remington.com/other-prod...ac-14-hardwood

I'm tempted.
It's 5+1 too, like the Mossberg. No idea why Remy didn't make all of them with the longer tube from the gitgo?

- OS
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Oh Shoot For This Useful Post:
Old 09-21-2018, 03:04 PM
Hunter

Thanked 1,087 Times in 534 Posts

I've had several of the pistol grip shotguns over the years and the way they shove the recoil down your arm and wrist makes it hurt to shoot them for me. Same thing with an AR 308 I built- pistol grips just suck unless it's on a 1911.
My tac 14 12 gauge sends the recoil up instead of back. I just wish the grip had some finger groves or maybe a rubber grip sleeve to help with holding it in place.
Been contemplating on how hard it would be to make my own wood grip for it with some finger grooves. I think that may be a wintertime project
The Following User Says Thank You to browningv308 For This Useful Post:
Old 09-21-2018, 04:10 PM
Survivor

Thanked 10,999 Times in 4,459 Posts

I tried the rubber grip thing (inner tube) on my Shockwave when I first got it. Took half an hour struggle to get it on, and by round #6 in the first tube after, it was all the way up around the safety.

I ended up stippling both the grip and fore-end. Made a major difference in stopping the gun from moving around in my hands when firing.

I would think if you went with wood, and good, sharp checkering job would be your best bet.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to AK103K For This Useful Post:
Old 09-24-2018, 01:04 PM
This is a great survival forum

Thanked 1,651 Times in 904 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oh Shoot View Post
It's 5+1 too, like the Mossberg. No idea why Remy didn't make all of them with the longer tube from the gitgo?

- OS
One extra round won’t make a difference in the real world. It’s not a rolling shoot out combat shotgun. Use a “combat” shotgun if you plan on using it in an extended shoot out. The compact easy to move and store and keep close at hand nature of these short shotshell shooting firearms are fine with 5 rounds. Lay out a 8+1 combat shotgun and a tac14 or shockwave to use during daily duties around my place and I’ll pick the shorter version every time. I know because that’s exactly what I do. I shoot mine daily and softball sized targets are easy all day any day with slugs to 30 yards right now. Federal Hi Bird #5 shot handles everything else. Them shotshells pattern better than anything else from my Tac 14 and they recoil like the heavy field federal 1 1/4oz loads with a little more fire from the muzzle.

Quote:
Originally Posted by browningv308 View Post
I've had several of the pistol grip shotguns over the years and the way they shove the recoil down your arm and wrist makes it hurt to shoot them for me. Same thing with an AR 308 I built- pistol grips just suck unless it's on a 1911.
My tac 14 12 gauge sends the recoil up instead of back. I just wish the grip had some finger groves or maybe a rubber grip sleeve to help with holding it in place.
Been contemplating on how hard it would be to make my own wood grip for it with some finger grooves. I think that may be a wintertime project
I use that tape they use to hold down gauze after a blood draw. Easily sourced anywhere. I found some that is camo pattern. Wrap it tight and it lasts 500-600 rounds. Adds some girth and makes it very easy to hold onto. A roll looks like it’ll last me at least a year, probably longer. You gotta wrap it tight though, if you do it stays put and lasts a long time. Get the wide roll.
Old 09-25-2018, 07:05 AM
Survivor

Quote:
Originally Posted by AK103K View Post
I tried the rubber grip thing (inner tube) on my Shockwave when I first got it. Took half an hour struggle to get it on, and by round #6 in the first tube after, it was all the way up around the safety.

I ended up stippling both the grip and fore-end. Made a major difference in stopping the gun from moving around in my hands when firing.

I would think if you went with wood, and good, sharp checkering job would be your best bet.
I have some large shrink tubing I'm going to try on mine, it is softer than the grip material. At the worst I'll just cut the tubing off if it doesn't work out.
The Following User Says Thank You to Iamfarticus For This Useful Post: