Survivalist Forum

Advertise Here

Go Back   Survivalist Forum > >
Articles Classifieds Donations Gallery Groups Links Store Survival Files

Notices

Advertise Here
Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Cleaning Wool Blankets. ShellbackBill Disaster Preparedness General Discussion 26 10-29-2015 08:52 PM
Wool blankets-making your own Bushbum30-30 Disaster Preparedness General Discussion 12 12-24-2014 04:41 PM
Where are you getting your wool blankets this year? CigarMan Disaster Preparedness General Discussion 37 12-20-2014 06:48 PM
Blankets - Wool vs. .... ??? behindthewall Wilderness Survival, Hiking and Camping Forum 54 08-04-2013 02:13 PM
100% Italian wool blankets Il Duce Wilderness Survival, Hiking and Camping Forum 21 03-29-2013 09:48 AM
Wool blankets zippomcfry Wilderness Survival, Hiking and Camping Forum 5 01-04-2013 12:27 AM
Why wool blankets? Grass hopper Wilderness Survival, Hiking and Camping Forum 137 12-30-2012 02:29 PM
wool blankets? bobbydeadup Disaster Preparedness General Discussion 52 11-08-2012 05:34 PM
Looking for good Wool Blankets Vanishing Nomad Wilderness Survival, Hiking and Camping Forum 51 04-12-2012 02:10 PM
Question about wool blankets.... countryboy123 Disaster Preparedness General Discussion 15 12-28-2008 10:05 PM

Old 12-09-2009, 11:41 PM
Custom User Title

Thanked 2,166 Times in 1,028 Posts
Default How warm do wool blankets keep you?

Advertise Here

Hey, i was wondering how warm wool blankets can keep you. How to they compare against your average sleeping bag (say, a midsize one from walmart or target). Are there different thicknesses of wool blankets? In 30 degree weather would i be fine or need to wear all my clothes? I want a wool blanket for the multi purpose uses, but i am concerned about their effectiveness. They have been used by the military for years though.
Quick reply to this message
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to justin_baker For This Useful Post:
Old 12-10-2009, 12:02 AM
Numquam Succumbe

Thanked 5,717 Times in 2,285 Posts

After my success with wool winter gear, I bought two wool blankets. My wife and I have slept perfectly comfortable under them with our windows wide open in 19 degree weather.

There were heavier wool king sized blankets, but I opted for two lighter queen sized ones (she steals covers). If those kept us warm, I imagine a heavier wool wool work even better.

One thing I've noticed about wool, though - It takes some time to warm up. It's not like my synthetic polyester fill blankets or fleece. It doesn't warm up as soon as you put it on. You've gotta sit in it for a second.

If you're thinking about going camping with a wool blanket, wool isn't that great for ground insulation, but there is an appreciable difference between the cold ground and the cold ground with a wool blanket underneat you. In order to sleep comfortably in that 20 degree weather, I would've had to put some further insulation underneath, like branches, leaves, etcetera.

Also, the USGI wool blanket is nice, but most items marketed "wool," it turns out, is a mixture of synthetics and wool. Make sure you get 65 percent or higher. I have a 35/65 mix that cost me $7.99 that doesn't work worth a ****. They are now, literally, winter drape supplements in our house for the cold nights. I think the USGI is 70 percent if I remember correctly, but I haven't been able to find a heavy USGI wool blanket anywhere. I bought one like you did, then I bought those queen sized wool blankets.

Learn from my mistake, those queen wool blankets are WAY heavier than the USGI one, and those queen blankets are supposedly lighter weight than the king sized wool blanket offered.

Real wool blankets are expensive as hell, but, in my opinion, WELL worth it. There is a HUGE preformance difference between the USGI and the other I bought. I'm sorry I can't remember the name of the company, if you want it, lemme know and I'll go look it up.
The Following 10 Users Say Thank You to twyggy For This Useful Post:
Old 12-10-2009, 01:16 AM

If I were to choose between an average sleeping bag or sleeping under a sheet with two thick wool blankets on top, I would choose the wool option every time.
Wool blankets certainly do come in different thicknesses.
That man gave you good advice about searching for a wool blanket with a high percentage of wool in it. A good place to shop for military surplus wool blankets from around the world is sportsmansguide.com.
They often tell you what percentage of wool is in the wool blend blanket. They will tell you how big the blanket is. So you'll know if it's big enough that you can fold it over lengthwise and still have it cover you well. You may find those military surplus wool blankets to be reasonable in price or even cheaper than you thought.
As for the thing about whether or not you'll need to sleep under it with your clothes on or not, most people seem to be in one of two camps on that issue. Some think they are warmer with clothes on, and others believe in having clothes off. I believe in having clothes off and letting body heat warm that space beneath the sheet and blankets. That works well for me.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Mistress For This Useful Post:

Old 12-10-2009, 02:16 PM
Hunter

Thanked 1,773 Times in 755 Posts

get yourself an italian wool blanket they are supposed to be the warmest and can be had for around $20 and sportsmansguide. com was having a sale for 4 of them for $60. i've got one that i haven't really gotten a chance to try out yet and i want to get some more and make a longhunter's shirt out of one or two.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to 1stcavmp77 For This Useful Post:
Old 12-10-2009, 06:38 PM
Survivor

Thanked 2,371 Times in 1,042 Posts

We got those SG Italian surplus blankets- and they are AWESOME! They are heavy, thick wool, and large. Very warm. Heck of a deal- in fact we want to get another set of them when they re advertised again. Best deal anywhere. You look at the prices for nice contemporary new ones, and they want like $75.00 for a new one.
The Following User Says Thank You to ColoradoWildcat For This Useful Post:
Old 12-10-2009, 07:22 PM

Check the Sportsmans Guide for the Italian ones. I just got the four pack. They are very nice! The only issue is the moth ball smell. I will air them out and they will be fine!

www.sportsmansguide.com

item number:

WX2-86812 New 4 - Pk. Italian Mil. - issue Blanket, Gray
The Following User Says Thank You to Mr. Tettnanger For This Useful Post:
Old 12-10-2009, 07:36 PM
Custom User Title

I think i will settle for the italian ones, for 20-30 degree weather do you think i should bring 1 or 2 of them?
The Following User Says Thank You to justin_baker For This Useful Post:
Old 12-10-2009, 07:41 PM
drive a stake thru Islam

Thanked 1,251 Times in 503 Posts

buy two of them, keep in mind the key thing about wool is its ability to insulate and keep you warm even when wet.
Old 12-10-2009, 08:00 PM
Hiker

Thanked 1,029 Times in 451 Posts

We have one on our bed, it's been around -09 at night and I wake up to warm. We do have conforter over it but I's guess the wool blanket would be enough as we end up kicking both off. Sleeping outside on the ground I'm not sure I would want to depend on it unless I had something underneath me also with a more padded insultation dry layer.
Old 12-10-2009, 09:55 PM
Survivor

Thanked 2,186 Times in 1,197 Posts

A good quality sleepimg bag is far "warmer" than a wool blanket. Theres a reason no military issues wool blankets to its troops in winter fighting. You also won't see to many assaults on Everest with people dragging blankets along.
They are better than cotton.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to FredLee For This Useful Post:
Old 12-10-2009, 10:02 PM
Taoist

Thanked 2,251 Times in 887 Posts

We have wool blankets in our emergency supplies in our vehicles, but our bed has flannel sheets, one comforter, and a sleeping bag on it...I'm a wuss.
Old 12-11-2009, 12:19 AM

Especially in cold weather, I think having some kind of cot is really nice. It gets you up off that cold ground. You may want to get some kind of material to lay on the cot for you to sleep on so you have something more than the thin layer of the cot material under you. Still, cots are nice. There are some that are made from simple metal tube frames with fabic stretched out there and I believe they are not all that expensive.
If you are out camping and it is in the 30s or 20s, you'll likely have a coat or jacket with you. I just wanted to say that if you take that coat and lay it so that it gives you even more warmth around your shoulders, you may appreciate that. For some people, there is just something about keeping the shoulders warm... It gives them a much more restful sleep.
I have slept in borrowed, inexpensive sleeping bags and never worried about the temperature rating for the sleeping bag because I was ready to add to it with wool blankets on top, my sheepskin coat on top of that, and maybe even another coat. Sometimes Jed Clampett would have been proud... It has worked for me and some friends of mine. We've not seen anything wrong with that.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Mistress For This Useful Post:
Old 12-11-2009, 07:06 AM
Survival Instructor

I just ordered a handful for my survival school. Wool is awesome, however can be itchy sometimes. I usually sleep with my thermals on for this reason. I also wear wool socks for the reason that mentioned before...they insulate even when wet.
Old 12-11-2009, 12:14 PM

Wool is a great material, but I would never use it instead of a sleeping bag. I suppose it depends on the type of camping you're doing, but the performance to weight [and volume] ratio is pretty crappy by comparison to down or even synthetic. Like insulation in your home, it's the dead air space that keeps you warm, down creates a crazy amount of loft or air space. Not to mention, the shape of a sleeping bag is designed to keep you warm. For example, I have a 0F/-18C bag that weighs a little over two pounds and compresses to the size of a basketball. It would take a lot of wool to keep you warm to those temps, which equals a lot weight and volume.

While the military used to use a lot of these natural fibre products, in the past 15-20 years, they've begun to take cues from the outdoor industry, a smart move b/c the outdoor industry used to be eons ahead of military tech. Now we're seeing a lot of cross-pollination between military and the outdoor industry. Cutting-edge companies like Arc'teryx now have military offshoots that make gear for the military using their proprietary technology and the military's spec. So, just b/c the military used something in the past doesn't mean it's the best choice. When you have to carry it, light is always right. I have a friend who used to insist on using old military gear; his pack, a heavy cotton canvas deal with leather straps, was well made, but extremely heavy and ridiculously uncomfortable.

Last edited by Redpoint; 12-11-2009 at 12:23 PM..
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Redpoint For This Useful Post:
Old 12-11-2009, 12:47 PM
Darting from the shadows

Thanked 6,549 Times in 2,819 Posts
Awards Showcase
Outstanding Helpful Post 
Total Awards: 1

When I was with scouts, we always carried one each that had been modded to have a drawcord up one side.
Then when sitting by a fire, we'd drape the blanket over our backs and draw the cord tight around our shoulders.
Worked great for staying warm and I've still got mine.
The Following User Says Thank You to Te Hopo For This Useful Post:
Old 12-11-2009, 01:06 PM
SquiddusMaximus (Retired)

Thanked 3,272 Times in 1,434 Posts

These can be great suppliments to a winter or emergency car kit. Although they are not wool as what the OP started this thread with and would be dicey as a stand alone in deep freezing weather but they will keep you somewhat warm, are abusable, very well made, roll up very nicely into a Molle II/Alice Buttpack and CHEAP.....

http://www.cheaperthandirt.com/CAMP145-1.html

I have a half dozen of these and are also included in each of our BoB's...light, compactable and again, cheap and will LAST...
The Following User Says Thank You to anchorbanger For This Useful Post:
Old 12-11-2009, 01:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Tettnanger View Post
Check the Sportsmans Guide for the Italian ones. I just got the four pack. They are very nice! The only issue is the moth ball smell. I will air them out and they will be fine!

www.sportsmansguide.com

item number:

WX2-86812 New 4 - Pk. Italian Mil. - issue Blanket, Gray
thank you for that site!!!! its awesomeeeeeeee
Old 12-11-2009, 02:10 PM
Survivor

Thanked 3,424 Times in 1,825 Posts

This is all Hollywood hipe.. thinking it will keep you warm (A wool Blanket). I once forgot a sleeping bag to play tuff and froze my butt off at 6000 feet in Eastern Washington for 4 days and 3 nights, thinking I would be like John Wayne or Clint by cowboy camping, never again! Get the appropriate gear to keep you warm for the climate and weather you may encounter.
The Following User Says Thank You to greenhorn For This Useful Post:
Old 12-13-2009, 02:39 AM
Numquam Succumbe

Thanked 5,717 Times in 2,285 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by greenhorn View Post
This is all Hollywood hipe.. thinking it will keep you warm (A wool Blanket). I once forgot a sleeping bag to play tuff and froze my butt off at 6000 feet in Eastern Washington for 4 days and 3 nights, thinking I would be like John Wayne or Clint by cowboy camping, never again! Get the appropriate gear to keep you warm for the climate and weather you may encounter.
Survival is about knowledge and endurance. You froze your ass off because of what you don't know or were unwilling to do. A wool blanket would make an incredible bed if you insulated it underneath and on top. They really do make the pile of foiliage you're lying on top of a lot softer. They're a lot more comfortable than lying under a pile of leaves, that's for sure.

Last edited by twyggy; 12-13-2009 at 02:47 AM..
The Following User Says Thank You to twyggy For This Useful Post:
Old 12-13-2009, 03:02 AM
Custom User Title

I might carry a lighter sleeping bag and a wool blanket. I can use the wool blanket for extra warmth, and still have the blanket for other stuff like laying it on the ground or as a windbreak.
The Following User Says Thank You to justin_baker For This Useful Post: